DICE PACKS BUNDLE
    I used to run a weekly Tuesday night GURPS Fantasy and a Friday night GURPS Traveller campaign for a couple of years, but the sheer amount of prep work due to absolutely NO support from SJG forced me to switch to Pathfinder and Starfinder. It's a pity because I really do prefer GURPS. And the ironic thing is, I was buying up GURPS products from SJG regularly when I was running those campaigns, and I haven't bought a GURPS product since. SJG is missing out a quite a significant revenue stream IMO.

Although I am spectacularly inexperienced, I am prepping a Hall of Judgement game and will be recruiting in the next couple of weeks. So there's that.

Hi,

I have been missing playing GURPS online because I cannot find a place to run it. I have seen this thread where do I go to get all the files I need to run GURPS on fantasy grounds?

How much prep do I have to do myself to make it viable? HELP!

Quote Originally Posted by Onlybomb View Post
    Hi,

I have been missing playing GURPS online because I cannot find a place to run it. I have seen this thread where do I go to get all the files I need to run GURPS on fantasy grounds?

The first post in this thread has a link to the files you need.

The ruleset is number one. If you want to pull in characters from GCA, then the GCA to FG exporter is important as well.

When's the last time you played GURPS? How familiar are you with FGU?

The amount of prep is very dependent on your GM style. From my years of playing GURPS in Fantasy Grounds, I am confident in saying the amount of prep you need is no more than that which you would do if you were prepping for a face to face game. With one exception. In FG you need to import your characters. The GCA and GCS character import scripts even makes that process painless.

You don't need to enter stuff into FG if you don't want to, again it comes down to GM style. I often play with all my GM notes and such in the same notebook I use for face to face games, very little of that gets entered into FG. If you plan to do map based combat then you will need some battle maps ready and literally 1000s of those can be found with a google search. Things like monsters and NPCs can mostly be entered on the fly, but it does pay to have a bunch of standard "templates" ready. I have a bunch of Generic Bad Dudes setup which get rebranded to thug, bandit, orc, or whatever as they are moved into the combat tracker. If you want to add extra fluff like location images, landscapes, people and places, then again google search those images and drop them into your campaign images folder. Even those can be done on the fly if your players go off script. Voice comms like Discord or Teamspeak is nearly a must in my opinion.

Online play is not as intimidating as people first believe it to be and I'd like to think the GURPS ruleset for FG goes a long way to making the barrier to entry small. It has at least been that way for my group and we've played weekly for 10+ years.
    Timezone: Australian EST (GMT +10).
    Systems/Rulesets: GURPS 4th Edition.
    Campaigns (Ultimate License Holder)
    GURPS Traveller - The Empty Peace
    GURPS Shadowrun - Power Plays
    GURPS Banestorm - Dark Clouds Rising

Quote Originally Posted by ronnke View Post
    The amount of prep is very dependent on your GM style. From my years of playing GURPS in Fantasy Grounds, I am confident in saying the amount of prep you need is no more than that which you would do if you were prepping for a face to face game. With one exception. In FG you need to import your characters. The GCA and GCS character import scripts even makes that process painless.

Online play is not as intimidating as people first believe it to be and I'd like to think the GURPS ruleset for FG goes a long way to making the barrier to entry small. It has at least been that way for my group and we've played weekly for 10+ years.
    I think you miss understand me, I use FG for D&D 5e and understand how the interface works (I hope), but I was referring to creating things in the game online - is all the character prep, vehicle prep etc. done via GCA then uploaded? It seems to me that All NPC's would be made on GCA then uploaded is that right? 5e has a lot of the creation built into the interface. Is there any extensions or modules that I can get beyond the GURPS basic rules?

I think you miss understand me, I use FG for D&D 5e and understand how the interface works (I hope), but I was referring to creating things in the game online - is all the character prep, vehicle prep etc. done via GCA then uploaded? It seems to me that All NPC's would be made on GCA then uploaded is that right? 5e has a lot of the creation built into the interface. Is there any extensions or modules that I can get beyond the GURPS basic rules?
    I make everything in FG. NPCs and such are just stat blocks mostly. PLayers barely know what's behind the curtain so to speak.

Only characters (and major NPCs) are made in CGA/GCS. Minor NPCs and Monsters are simple stat blocks, as RevenantBob pointed out. Things like vehicles and equipment must be either created manually within FG, or made into extensions via some of the various tools people have created (can find those in this GURPS forum). Granted, official SJG support would make all that sort of content readily available, but until then, there are tools to help make prep easier.

I'm an advocate for only as much as you need. I don't build stats for most NPCs. I have a physical and personality description and that's about it. I don't expect my PC to beat up my NPCs.

When I get to foes, I only define what's relevant. Weapon skill, defenses, maybe one or two skills depending on what they are. Herbal Lore for witches, Stealth for goblins.

Those can be on your sheet of paper. Most stats I don't bother to put in the VTT app. Icon and name are what makes it in the VTT app.

GURPS 4E Core Ruleset
    Download latest release from here: https://bit.ly/GURPS4ECore
    (Updated: 17th Mar 2021)
    (This update will make irreversible changes to the campaign database. As a precaution, backup your campaign folder before applying)

- Added: Abilities and Traits properly reflect information contained in Library data. Accessible via the "Info/Detail" section.
    - Added: Skill and spell point values will now calculate the appropriate levels. Bonus points or levels are adjusted via the abilities "Info/Detail" section.
    - Fixed: Some issues with FGU.
    - Some other changes not worth mentioning.

Thread Information