DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 51 of 150 First ... 41495051525361101 ... Last
    Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Hi knuckleheadA community developer may choose to base it on the previous final/stable release by setting that in their code and foregoing new CoreRPG features until they are ready to update their ruleset.

The primary issue with this is there is code in the ruleset, code in CoreRPG and code in the application. Changes to the Application code are also going to break these previous versions.
    Yeah, that's what I was suggesting, the CoreRPG version the ruleset is built on, only until it's confirmed to work with the new one, in which case it's "frozen" til it's confirmed working.

This all falls to pieces if the engine api never guarantees anything to CoreRPG, because then CoreRPG versions mean almost nothing to ruleset developers, so versions should simply be "Current" or "Broken" to reflect their potential for producing a working ruleset.

I really, REALLY like that idea presented somewhere here that mentioned using version control, though. Imagine an embedded versioning system (at least where text files are, anyway, binary assets would be a problem) where you could roll back to any stable/compatible release, and corerpg just had different branches storing the diffs rather than a hundred billion ruleset folders? At least the images/versions that were still compatible with the engine.

Still, rulesets/mods/exts are archived themselves, so I'll bet there are headaches involved with having the unzipped versions sitting there taking precedence when an updated, zipped version is installed.

Anyway, not saying it's easy, and probably not introducing any new ideas that weren't mentioned elsewhere I guess, just making a suggestion for the mental health of everyone involved from SW on down to the guy who is like "OMG I can maybe possibly finally run/play GURPS and abstract away just the tiniest fraction of the rules so I can convince others to play"

Whether it's viable or not is left the the people who know what's going on (and who aren't too entrenched in their mastery of an existing system to fairly analyze an alternative system, but I'm assuming the overwhelming majority of people here already take that rational view)

Blog Entries
    I think everyone who has written a ruleset or an extension here wishes there was a way to not have to maintain it every update.
    I cant speak for SmiteWorks but I think at the end of the day this issue simply isnt as important as other items on their list so until it is it wont get any traction.
    Even more likely is I think that they only want to have the one engine and one CoreRPG as they would still have to do some support and some maintenance for all those earlier versions.

I think some of your lighting wishes are much more likely to get actioned than this one.

Looking at the wish-list, and not sure I'm getting this correctly, would it be possible to have the "mini-sheets" (Which I'm assuming are for NPCs) to have a layout such as this:

Exalted's NPC Sheet.png

The adv/disad, skills and weapon parts would be scrollable sections themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Exalted View Post
    Looking at the wish-list, and not sure I'm getting this correctly, would it be possible to have the "mini-sheets" (Which I'm assuming are for NPCs) to have a layout such as this:

Exalted's NPC Sheet.png

The adv/disad, skills and weapon parts would be scrollable sections themselves.
    Yes...???

I've not given the mini-sheets any thought yet, so it's pretty much all open for discussion.
    Timezone: Australian EST (GMT +10).
    Systems/Rulesets: GURPS 4th Edition.
    Campaigns (Ultimate License Holder)
    GURPS Traveller - The Empty Peace
    GURPS Shadowrun - Power Plays
    GURPS Banestorm - Dark Clouds Rising

Quote Originally Posted by knucklehead View Post
    We agree, though, I want whats easiest for everybody, and I made a suggestion that I thought would do that.
    I put more value on what's easiest for the folks already out there bringing in new functionality right now, compared to theoretical unknown future entities, who can only be enticed to participate by a guarantee of puppy dogs and ice cream.

Unless you are talking about a group of folks that are more concrete?

Quote Originally Posted by ronnke View Post
    Yes...???

I've not given the mini-sheets any thought yet, so it's pretty much all open for discussion.
    Well then, do consider them suggestions .

"Mini sheets" are a reference to something that existed in the old GURPS ruleset. There were a couple of buttons on the character sheet that would pop up "mini sheets," one for the basic combat stats like HP & FP, and another for DR/defenses, IIRC. The nice thing about them was that they were separate from the character sheet when opened, so they could stay open as you flipped from page to page, and could be moved elsewhere on the desktop.
    It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigermann View Post
    "Mini sheets" are a reference to something that existed in the old GURPS ruleset. There were a couple of buttons on the character sheet that would pop up "mini sheets," one for the basic combat stats like HP & FP, and another for DR/defenses, IIRC. The nice thing about them was that they were separate from the character sheet when opened, so they could stay open as you flipped from page to page, and could be moved elsewhere on the desktop.
    The Savage Worlds ruleset for Fantasy Grounds has this very thing and they are useful. Screen real estate is always scarce.

Quote Originally Posted by Andraax View Post
    I'm just a little fancier about it - I use subversion with version tags, so I can just go into a ruleset folder, and tell subversion "use version XXX of this ruleset" and it updates all the files accordingly.
    But what you're doing here sounds highly subversive.
    "We adore chaos because we love to produce order."
    M.C. Escher

"Let's face it: for some people, roleplaying is a serious challenge, a life-or-death struggle."
    J. M. Caparula / Scott Haring

"It emerges that physics is basic but inessential; that is the crucial fact."
    Wolfgang Smith

Quote Originally Posted by ronnke View Post
    Good news everyone!

GURPS 4e Ruleset v3.1.0 - 20th Oct 2017, is now available via the link in this threads original post.

These are the changes:

• GURPS 4e Ruleset v3.1.0 - 20th Oct 2017
      - Added Map Scales and Range Modifier calculation to pointers (Access via scale icon in the image toolbar).
      - Fixed bug with effects (post CoreRPG 3.3.3 effect changes. Players can add, remove and target their own effects).
    Ronnke, was the GM ability to Shift+apply an effect to an actor's target instead of the actor himself lost in this update?

I know it's been a few months, but I just noticed the missing capability (been a while since I GMed)
    Last edited by seycyrus; December 3rd, 2017 at 03:05.

Thread Information