Starfinder Playlist
Page 17 of 18 First ... 715161718 Last

Thread: AD&D Ruleset

Pretty sure that Lamentations uses an ascending AC, so the base CnC would be better for running it.

Quote Originally Posted by Andraax View Post
    Pretty sure that Lamentations uses an ascending AC, so the base CnC would be better for running it.
    If all they are looking for is Ascending AC it wouldn't take much work to use it with AD&D Core. As is now it does support Ascending AC on npcs.

I only display descending AC and use ascending AC and BAB for hit calculations since that's what most of the system with 5E (and CoreRPG?) rulesets are built around. Was just a matter of flipping some values for ACs > 10 or 10 or below. I've considered adding a campaign setting that allows DMs to use Ascending AC entirely tho for AD&D it's not really a big deal... and it's all automated so the "math is difficult" bit is a non-issue.

All that would need to be tweaked, via extension, would be how AC is calculated for PCs. Manually setting it should still function I believe though.

I've not run extended testing on this however.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

It looks like the mechanic for Lamentations is d20 + modifiers, greater than AC is a hit. Which is the same as CnC. The AD&D ruleset uses a table based THAC0.

It looks like the mechanic for Lamentations is d20 + modifiers, greater than AC is a hit. Which is the same as CnC. The AD&D ruleset uses a table based THAC0.
    Sorry, yeah, I wasn't making a case for Vodokar's "AD&D" ruleset.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Wow thanks for the quick replies guys. The community here is insanely active and helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by celestian View Post
    Sorry, yeah, I wasn't making a case for Vodokar's "AD&D" ruleset.
    Hmmm I see. Well like I said I'm trying to feel out the future use of FG so if the AD&D ruleset isn't the closest to the B/X (AD&D) rule set of Lamentations I wonder what is on here? I'm not enough of a guru to know

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Geist View Post
    Hmmm I see. Well like I said I'm trying to feel out the future use of FG so if the AD&D ruleset isn't the closest to the B/X (AD&D) rule set of Lamentations I wonder what is on here? I'm not enough of a guru to know
    From the commercial rulesets, I would say CnC. There are some community rulesets that might be close as well. Lamentations is *not* based on AD&D, it's an "OSR" style ruleset. I know that might seem confusing... :-)

Edit: I just looked over the free rules for Lamentations, and it should work mostly with CnC out of the box (you'd have to setup some modifiers, effects, weapons, equipment, etc). There are a couple things that won't automate correctly, but you should be able to modify those pretty easily with an extension if you want. Otherwise, it would just be a matter of the GM and Players knowing that "X" is off by one or something like that.

Two examples I noted - 75% cover gives a bonus of +6 to AC in CnC, whereas it's +7 in Lamentations, and apparently a shield only gives a +1 bonus to AC in ranged combat in Lamentations while it gives that bonus to both melee and ranged in CnC. Minor stuff like that.
    Last edited by Andraax; June 8th, 2018 at 17:33.

And I'm starting to think that Gray Geist can't see my posts for some reason...

From the commercial rulesets, I would say CnC. There are some community rulesets that might be close as well. Lamentations is *not* based on AD&D, it's an "OSR" style ruleset. I know that might seem confusing... :-)

Edit: I just looked over the free rules for Lamentations, and it should work mostly with CnC out of the box (you'd have to setup some modifiers, effects, weapons, equipment, etc). There are a couple things that won't automate correctly, but you should be able to modify those pretty easily with an extension if you want. Otherwise, it would just be a matter of the GM and Players knowing that "X" is off by one or something like that.

Two examples I noted - 75% cover gives a bonus of +6 to AC in CnC, whereas it's +7 in Lamentations, and apparently a shield only gives a +1 bonus to AC in ranged combat in Lamentations while it gives that bonus to both melee and ranged in CnC. Minor stuff like that.
    Ahah! So CnC does seem a better fit than the creation on this very thread huh? Interesting! I think I am sold - all I've got to do now is get some funds together from friends (splitting cost of initial purchase) and organize a game to begin in the next month or so.

Ok, it seems this thread has gone back for a few years with many updates. Can someone sum up the current choices of AD&D rule sets? Reading comments on this thread is difficult to figure out what is going on.

1. Do I have to buy CnC?
    2. What about all the books including all the monsters and equipment and what source they come from?
    3. Im interested mostly in AD&D 2nd edition books.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by StylinLP38 View Post
    Ok, it seems this thread has gone back for a few years with many updates. Can someone sum up the current choices of AD&D rule sets? Reading comments on this thread is difficult to figure out what is going on.

1. Do I have to buy CnC?
    2. What about all the books including all the monsters and equipment and what source they come from?
    3. Im interested mostly in AD&D 2nd edition books.
    There is no option to purchase the ADnD books for FG at this time.
    The celestian ruleset is the most full featured ruleset option for ADnD.
    The vodokar ruleset does require you to have the CnC ruleset (its a steam at $10) and it will use the CnC data and convert it for use with ADnD.

vodokar hasnt been around much for sometime and the ruleset may have had some errors creep in with underlying ruleset changes.
    The celestian ruleset is by far the more popular of the two.

Thread Information