DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Differences between DM and Player versions of D&D5E supplement modules.

Good evening,

I wanted to ask a question regarding which modules should I activate in the library.
    It's my first time using Fantasy Grounds, specifically unity. I have all the Core modules and the campaign module we are going to play.
    My question is about loading some of these modules. Are the modules that have player versions, for example Mordenkainen's or Tasha's, exactly the same as the DM's versions or are they "censored" versions with content locked for the players?

Thanks in advance

Players versions of modules contain data which players can use mainly for the purpose of creating characters. So for example they contain backgrounds, races and classes or class archetypes. All of the information is also included in the DM versions of the module but not necessarily in a format that will allow drag and drop. In Tasha's for example the details of all the class archetypes and features are in the reference manual for the DM but in the players version the information is also presented in list format so that players can drag and drop these classes into their character sheet or use the Character Wizard.

By default player's versions of modules are shared (they have a green tick on the thumbnail in the activate modules screen). This means that when players join your game they will automatically be downloaded by the player. Players can then use the modules to create characters. The DM part is by default not shared with the players and indeed shouldn't be since they contain DM only information.

As DM you will only need to have the DM version of the module loaded into your campaign unless you are creating characters yourself. But in normal play you don't need the players modules open.

Now in some of the earlier modules the DM version also included the players stuff in a format that you could use to create characters; but this practice was stopped because it was causing so much unnecessary duplication.
    Last edited by Zacchaeus; March 16th, 2021 at 21:21.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Note, because of the default configuration, you might want to hit the "Shared" filter button at the bottom of the Data Module Activation Window to see what content is shared to the players and disallow some of the sharing. I would suggest you don't share the SRD or D&D Essentials Kit Rulebook stuff if you have the Player's Handbook, and I don't personally share the Players modules of adventurers I'm not running since I like to reserve those for when I actually run the adventure. There also isn't a lot of reason to share Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide if you have Tasha's and Xanthar's.

Yes, the duplicated stuff was the thing that bothered me. I haven't tested it with a player yet so I'm still figuring out what's does the player see and what I should hide from them.

Thanks for your time answering.

Quote Originally Posted by Griogre View Post
    Note, because of the default configuration, you might want to hit the "Shared" filter button at the bottom of the Data Module Activation Window to see what content is shared to the players and disallow some of the sharing. I would suggest you don't share the SRD or D&D Essentials Kit Rulebook stuff if you have the Player's Handbook, and I don't personally share the Players modules of adventurers I'm not running since I like to reserve those for when I actually run the adventure. There also isn't a lot of reason to share Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide if you have Tasha's and Xanthar's.
    About that, Tasha's and Xanathar's have the same content for players as the Forgotten guide?

Quote Originally Posted by Dsala View Post
    About that, Tasha's and Xanathar's have the same content for players as the Forgotten guide?
    Not quite; some of the archetypes and races which appear in SCAG were updated and slightly revised in the later modules.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    Not quite; some of the archetypes and races which appear in SCAG were updated and slightly revised in the later modules.
    I already have all the core and supplement modules, we can say that my players won't miss any content regarding races, traits, backgrounds, spells, etc... if I deactivate SCAG, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Dsala View Post
    I already have all the core and supplement modules, we can say that my players won't miss any content regarding races, traits, backgrounds, spells, etc... if I deactivate SCAG, right?
    SCAG has backgrounds that aren't available in other source books / modules, so you may want to allow that if you're allowing those backgrounds.

Yeah, I would say the best part of SCAG is the backgrounds - if they fit into your campaign - things like Harpers, Zents, ect. But the specific backgrounds are probably the least important part of character building if you allow the use of custom backgrounds.

Thread Information