FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 11 123 ... Last

WTCW - What the Community Wants

I want this thread to be an open place for discussion and sharing, not just for my knowledge but for other developers to get a more firm idea of what people want. So I ask this:

As a DM running a 5e game, what products did you wish you had or would like more of?

If your answer is 'adventures', try to be more specific as to what kind of adventures (site-based/event-based, length, difficulty, combat-to-RP ratio, general terrain, campaign setting, etc.). For accessories, the more specific you are, the more likely you are to get exactly what you want.

Don't forget to check out the resources already available:
    Fantasy Grounds Online Store
    Dungeon Masters Guild
    Free Community 5e Resources
    Free Compatible Community CoreRPG Resources

Developers
    I would prefer this thread not to be a place where you advertise or link your DMsG products. Each product should have its own thread anyway to buyers can inform of bugs and give feedback. Please keep this thread clean and focused on being a wishlist for the consumers.
    Last edited by Nickademus; January 5th, 2017 at 00:19.
    I never claimed to be sane. Besides, it's more fun this way.

Blog Entries
    For me, NPC's.
    Monsters and villains. So, more like the MM and Volo's, but also some things like some arch-enemies with plots and backgrounds. Also some organizations, both bad and others like guilds.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Blog Entries
    More ready NPCs at all levels would be nice.

Short adventures that can be inserted for a session that dont require extensive reworking to fit.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Adventure Paths not set in the Forgotten Realms (unless it is 2E or earlier Realms). Ideally they would be of the quality that most of the Paizo APs are. I haven't been particularly impressed with any of the APs that WotC (even those written by 3P) have pushed out other than Curse of Strahd.

I would have to say NPCs also. The Skullduggery NPCs available through the store are pretty good, but something along the lines of the Villain Codex that was recently released for Pathfinder would be something that I would really go for if there was a 5e analog. I would also say NPC organizations (again, that aren't Forgotten Realms specific) that could easily be dropped into a one shot or campaign. These types of things cut a lot of time off of my game prep.
    Last edited by Zhern; January 5th, 2017 at 03:12.
    Patrick

Ultimate License Holder
    Currently Running (rotating home campaigns): Hobgoblins, Orcs, and Kobolds, Oh My! (5E), The Enemy Within (WFRP)
    Currently Playing: Castle Zagyg (Labyrinth Lord), The Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun (AD&D)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
    Short adventures that can be inserted for a session that dont require extensive reworking to fit.
    Care to expound? Single-session, generic setting, most likely site-based (as event would be harder for the GM to quickly prepare for). What else?

Quote Originally Posted by Zhern View Post
    Adventure Paths not set in the Forgotten Realms (unless it is 2E or earlier Realms). Ideally they would be of the quality that most of the Paizo APs are. I haven't been particularly impressed with any of the APs that WotC (even those written by 3P) have pushed out other than Curse of Strahd.
    Adventure Paths are very difficult for non-professional to make (and make well). The DMsG recommends shorter adventures, but it's not impossible to provide larger, quality adventures that chain together in a path. Do remember, though, that the DMsG requires the campaign setting to be either Forgotten Realms, Ravenloft, or completely generic. Not a lot of options yet.
    Last edited by Nickademus; January 5th, 2017 at 03:21.
    I never claimed to be sane. Besides, it's more fun this way.

I read the original question wrong. I thought you meant the community developers that were working on conversions of the licensed material, but I see what you are asking now. That being said, if it were shorter adventures that do tie together to tell a larger story, as you mentioned, that would be very pleasing to me.
    Patrick

Ultimate License Holder
    Currently Running (rotating home campaigns): Hobgoblins, Orcs, and Kobolds, Oh My! (5E), The Enemy Within (WFRP)
    Currently Playing: Castle Zagyg (Labyrinth Lord), The Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun (AD&D)

NPC's are always great to have. Seeing a MOD made like UA that was just multiple different NPC's to pick from would be cool. Like a MOD that constantly gets updated with community input. I run my own world and have created quite a few NPC's, and have some back story for a few of them, but I would be willing to "upload" them for free use to something like that. Then everyone could have an NPC MOD with different level/race/class NPC's for different reasons. Like having village, town, store, council, evil, friendly, etc. type NPC's to pick from.

I am really liking the generate options that are coming out, but hoping for more. Sometimes it is a lot of work to come up with everything that might be in a town/city, and it would be nice to almost auto-generate an entire town/city with one click of the button, then make adjustments from there if needed. I got that Kingdoms MOD and still trying to learn it, but if I had something like that (but a bit more), that could generate Who runs it, What kinds of shops/places are in it, What NPC's run those places, What type of things are in them.. etc. Yes, I have created many things on my own for my world (and I enjoy it), but it would be nice to have an "easy" button once in a while.. lol. Or a way to incorporate more into a generate option depending on the MODs I already have? Being able to change a table, add more to it, have it pull even more info? There is probably a way to do that, but I have not looked into it. Just thought about it.

NPCs. Oh for the love god NPCs... I hate making statblocks. :P

Generic Adventures (generally 4 hour ones, nothing major) for when I am feeling lazy would be awesome as well.

If there is one thing that I feel is lacking from 5e modules its the lack of random tables that assist in 'Gotcha' situations.
    My players want to know all about the:
    • name of the Bar in town
    • details of the Barkeep
    • rumors in the Bar
    • names of the people in the bar
    • how many windows the bar has
    • the stock of the shops in town
    • the prices that those items fetch (not necessarily the actual worth, to allow for surplus/demand roleplay)
    • the food that the Inn serves

And as a DM i want:
    • Stat blocks for the locals
    • Stat blocks for the inevitable brawl at the barn
    • The health of the town
    • Stat blocks

Basically I want an expansion of the story templates provided by the WotC DMG module; both for creating adventures and for quick make-me-up references.
    Last edited by Kanbie; January 5th, 2017 at 06:12. Reason: No actual edit, but Barn should be Bar.

Blog Entries
    Good quality One Shots for running as one shots. Interesting hook, a twist, a villain with bite and pre-gens appropriately scaled.

Thread Information