Starfinder Playlist

Fan Based Community Content...

Hey all..

This one is for the Staff. If you are not a SmiteWorks/Fantasy Grounds staffer I ask that you do not try to answer my question, but feel free to comment.

Is there official guidelines for posting fan made content? I have had this topic pop up a few times before, and each time its slightly different or sounds halved informed.
    I want to make sure that I do things right, I want to be an active contributing member to be able to share the things I make with people who are unable to make them, but would enjoy them.

I know I can make anything for myself and cant share those. But what about the ones I want to share?

A few years back, I made a vassal mod for one of my favorite games made by Steve Jackson Games, they had a policy for fan based content which I followed to the letter and I never once had a problem. I was hoping to be directed towards something similar here?

Anyways, I have a list of questions but I wont say them here, as I am not sure if this is the proper place to discuss those. So if one of the official staff could send me a PM I could ask those questions there.

Thanks for the listening.
    Last edited by ShotGun Jolly; January 4th, 2017 at 20:50.

Blog Entries
    You can email us at [email protected] with your specific questions. That address hits both John and my accounts. It's a pretty open ended question and so the answer is mostly, it depends.

Blog Entries
    I do agree with Shotgun that it would be good to have a general guideline, perhaps in the Wiki or elsewhere we could refer to. I think I know the answers, or at least what I'm comfortable with, but I think it would benefit us all and especially help new comers step into contributing.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Agreed. Most RPG publishers have a style guide for contributors to follow. It would be very useful to have something similar for the community Fantasy Grounds content.
    Patrick

Ultimate License Holder
    Currently Running (rotating home campaigns): Hobgoblins, Orcs, and Kobolds, Oh My! (5E), The Enemy Within (WFRP)
    Currently Playing: Castle Zagyg (Labyrinth Lord), The Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun (AD&D)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhern View Post
    Agreed. Most RPG publishers have a style guide for contributors to follow. It would be very useful to have something similar for the community Fantasy Grounds content.
    I think a style guide is a bit different than a content guide (i.e. what is allowable in terms of IP and such).

IMO, the community is quite capable of producing style guides, and I don't think I would want SW taking time away from FGU or other efforts to put them together. For instance, there is the Adventure Creation guide that seems to be pretty well accepted. People could put ones together for other types of modules too.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Yes, it is different. I was using it as an example but also as something that would be beneficial too. I should have clarified. Yes, a content guide that outlines legalities would be most helpful, but if there were a style guide for creating FG content then it might also be useful, and would likely help newer people (like myself) who want to develop custom content to stick to a well defined pattern.
    Patrick

Ultimate License Holder
    Currently Running (rotating home campaigns): Hobgoblins, Orcs, and Kobolds, Oh My! (5E), The Enemy Within (WFRP)
    Currently Playing: Castle Zagyg (Labyrinth Lord), The Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun (AD&D)

Thread Information