STAR TREK 2d20
Page 5 of 37 First ... 3456715 ... Last
    Ah spot on I was wondering if you had used a zero level thanks for the confirmation. I think fg should take this up once they have the time.
    My Project : FG5EParser LINK

Current Projects : Revamped FG5eParser v2!

New update. All the classes now have a class option, as well as some design articles.

Almost caught up.
    I never claimed to be sane. Besides, it's more fun this way.

this is such a good Christmas gift, thank you Nickademus. If you wouldn't mind could you screenshot yourself doing par5e, things I'm interested in is how you markup the data and just general workflow.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanbie View Post
    this is such a good Christmas gift, thank you Nickademus. If you wouldn't mind could you screenshot yourself doing par5e, things I'm interested in is how you markup the data and just general workflow.
    Nickademus doesn't use par5e. He does all his coding in XML.

Xorn's video on how to use par5e is as good a resource as it gets if you want to see par5e in action.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

General workflow.... Um.

*copy* *paste* *copy* *paste* *copy* *paste* *copy* *paste* *copy* *paste* *copy* *paste* *eat some food* *copy* *paste* *copy* *paste* *copy* *paste* *copy* *paste* *copy* *paste* *check for bugs* *check for errors* *sleep a little*

*repeat*

Actually, there are some things I do that could be good practices for other people. Whether working with PAR5E or xml, there is a lot of copy and pasting done when repeating assets.

Before I touch the xml files, I type up a brief sort of outline using the xml element names. Xml has a few restrictions (such as no space, no starting with a number, etc.) so the elements are a single string of words mashed together. It's easy to typo these when using them multiple times. So I use a small WordPad file to hold the master element names and everywhere I need to place it in the code, I copy/paste from WordPad. That way if I typo in one place, I typo in all the places and the code still works (since the code only needs the opening and closing element names to be identical, not properly spelled).

For example, here is the outline for the next update. I think through what game assets and reference manual entries I will need as I type up the elements. This means by the time I start actually working on the code, I have a good idea of what I'm making and in what order. Prep work always helps coding.
    Code:
    Prestige Classes and Rune Magic 10/05/15
    - by Mike Mearls
    UArunescribeclass
    masterrunes
    prestigedev
    runemagic

UArunescribe

opaloftheildrune
    orbofthesteinrune
    pennantofthevindrune
    shardofthekaltrune

Ranger 09/09/15
    - by Mike Mearls
    rangeroriginal

Variant Rules 06/08/15
    - by Mike Mearls
    variantrules

Waterborne Adventures 05/04/15
    - by Mike Mearls
    UAminotaurrace
    waterbornedev
    waterbornefightingstyle
    swashbuckleroriginal
    stormoriginoriginal

Fighting Style:
    mariner

UAminotaur
    Now that I look at it, I still need to list the minotaur's racial traits and the runescribes class features. The work is done in layers, like an onion, but it is easier to do similar tasks all at once even if it means working on multiple parts at once. Checklists help too.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickademus View Post
    General workflow.... Um.

*copy* *paste* *copy* *paste* *copy* *paste* *copy* *paste* *copy* *paste* *copy* *paste* *eat some food* *copy* *paste* *copy* *paste* *copy* *paste* *copy* *paste* *copy* *paste* *check for bugs* *check for errors* *sleep a little*

*repeat*

You forgot refilling your cup from the Dispenser of Wakefulness.

Is there a good way to go about the Mystic from UA? I am using par5e my first time and got to the spells(talents and disciplines) and I'm not sure of a good way to continue. It seems awfully different from other casters (no surprise there I guess) but I don't know if I can make it work.

Merry Christmas & thank you Nickademus, hope you had a great day

Quote Originally Posted by Varsuuk View Post
    Merry Christmas & thank you Nickademus, hope you had a great day
    I don't celebrate christmas, but thanks. I hope to have a good day (off work) too; should finish the next update.

Quote Originally Posted by Necrolepsey View Post
    Is there a good way to go about the Mystic from UA? I am using par5e my first time and got to the spells(talents and disciplines) and I'm not sure of a good way to continue. It seems awfully different from other casters (no surprise there I guess) but I don't know if I can make it work.
    I haven't looked at the psion, er mystic, yet but I imagine it is designed differently from the other classes. PAR5E might not be programmed to handle the structure of the class. The mystic articles will be in the next batch after the current update is finished, so I'll see what I can do there. It might be a case of FG not being able to properly auto-parse the class upon drag and drop, but all the features should still be able to be manually drug to the character sheet.

Thread Information