DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Making new powers and feats

Is there anyway to make powers and feats that can be exported as part of a module, similar to how they appear in the parser output, but created within Fantasy Grounds?

No, there is nothing currently that supports creating power and feat records and storing them in the campaign. I looked into it as part of the record types migration for v3.2, but every 4E parser was outputting the records to a custom database location which precludes doing a master list like the other rulesets. I might look at this at some point, but the lists would be empty other than what you manually created.

Regards,
    JPG

I figured as much. It'd be cool if it were added later, but for the moment I kinda snuck around powers at least by making a single NPC and putting a bajillion powers in it. The powers can link from the NPC to story, char sheets etc so it kind of works.
    The single NPC in my setting book called "Don't Open Me, I hold all your ****"

Gonna ask another question here, so I stop making new threads,

I am trying to create a link to an item I've made fit into a table, but every time I do it reformats out of the table. This is the table, https://puu.sh/sJVP3/6598405559.png and every time I try to create a link to the items listed there, it breaks.
    I know Par5e lets me do this in 5e ruleset, is this a limitation of 4e's ruleset? Or just with the formatting tools in-program?

Also, I had a weird thing come across when I was making items.
    When I try to add a property, it comes up with an icon I can click as if to expand the properties with a description. However, when I click it, it come sup uneditable, and seems to be filled with just the title of the property.
    https://puu.sh/sJX8C/d7be299445.png

Is there a way to have it edited? Or is this intended behaviour? If so, it seems kinda odd to have that button there, cause right now it looks like this https://puu.sh/sJXvH/b7dddfd7d9.png
    Last edited by spite; December 9th, 2016 at 21:48.

No, there is nothing currently that supports creating power and feat records and storing them in the campaign. I looked into it as part of the record types migration for v3.2, but every 4E parser was outputting the records to a custom database location which precludes doing a master list like the other rulesets. I might look at this at some point, but the lists would be empty other than what you manually created.
    What would have to change in the 4E parser to accommodate that? Or are you talking about the parsing in ruleset itself?

Going to answer in order:

Links in Tables
    The tables built into formatted text fields in FG do not support embedded links in any ruleset. If you can do it in Par5E, look at the underlying XML and you should be able to do something similar in 4E. Remember, string fields (vs. formattedtext fields) do not support any formatting, including embedded links and tables.

Item Properties
    Item properties are literally just a text string, so you edit right in-line in the item. The record link that pops up is just to allow drag and drop, and for reference purposes.

Supporting v3.2 Master Lists in Parser
    The parsers need to output their data to a single data path location that matches other ruleset data paths, and then I need to add editable versions of each record type window.

The recommended targets for these would be:
    * Powers (reference.powers)
    * Feats (reference.feats)

Regards,
    JPG

Supporting v3.2 Master Lists in Parser
    The parsers need to output their data to a single data path location that matches other ruleset data paths, and then I need to add editable versions of each record type window.

The recommended targets for these would be:
    * Powers (reference.powers)
    * Feats (reference.feats)
    Since I do not understand the underlying rulesets and the internal FG system, is someone willing to show me what that means for the output (e.g., a sample file containing one sample record of every type (feat, monster, power, race, item, etc.)) that I could then mimic with the parser?

Also, if I am changing the parser anyway, is there anything else that could be changed in the output to make it easier or better for FG to use? That is, if something in the output is holding back full ruleset or FG functionality, I can attempt to change the parser output for that as well.

Does the final section here help? https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/...Best_Practices
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Here's an example of a power:

Code:
        <reference static="true">
                <powers>
    		<powerPreciseStrike>
    			<name type="string">Precise Strike</name>
    			<source type="string">Fighter Attack 3</source>
    			<flavor type="formattedtext"><p><i>You trade damage for accuracy when you really want to land an attack on your opponent.</i></p></flavor>
    			<recharge type="string">Encounter</recharge>
    			<keywords type="string">Martial, Weapon</keywords>
    			<action type="string">Standard Action</action>
    			<range type="string">Melee weapon</range>
    			<description type="formattedtext"><table><tr><td><b>Target:</b>One creature</td></tr></table><table><tr><td><b>Attack:</b>Strength + 4 vs. AC</td></tr></table><table><tr><td><b>Hit:</b>1[W] + Strength modifier damage.</td></tr></table></description>
    			<shortdescription type="string">Target: One creature; Attack: Strength + 4 vs. AC; Hit: 1[W] + Strength modifier damage.</shortdescription>
    		</powerPreciseStrike>
                </powers>
        </reference>
    Here's an example of a feat:

Code:
        <reference static="true">
                <feats>
    		<featAgileAthlete>
    			<name type="string">Agile Athlete</name>
    			<source type="string">Feat </source>
    			<flavor type="formattedtext"><p><i>Roll twice with Acrobatics and Athletics checks</i></p></flavor>
    			<description type="formattedtext"><table><tr><td><b>Benefit:</b>When you make an Acrobatics check or an Athletics check, roll twice and use the higher result.</td></tr></table></description>
    			<shortdescription type="string">Roll twice with Acrobatics and Athletics checks</shortdescription>
    		</featAgileAthlete>
                </feats>
        </reference>
    Note: Feat records in 4E were originally built to be interchangeable with powers for ease of drag and drop. So, feat records share the same editing window as power records.
    Note 2: Both the description and shortdescription field were used for different things depending on the parser used. For now, shortdescription is the one used by the ruleset to parse out rolls, and the description is just extra information.

Regards,
    JPG

Thread Information