DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Deadlands Weird West Duels

I have spent part of the evening reading the rules for the new Deadlands. I had read some of the DDR rules, but am by no means an expert.

I notice in the ruleset the duels require giving each person two hole cards to play a hand of texas hold 'em. I can't find a way to give the cards out face down. I think I saw videos in the DDR set that had a poker table, but I'm not finding any way to do something like that in DDWW.

Any thoughts on how to handle duels?

I have pointed this out to Ikael, here is me testing out how to do it currently:

(22) Deadlands: The Weird West Dueling - YouTube
    My players just defeated an army, had a dogfight with aliens, machine-gunned the zombies, stormed the tower, became Legendary and died heroically

Yours are still on combat round 6

Get Savage
    Ultimate License Holder.
    First GM to post a game for the original FG Con!

Bring the poker table back
    Everyone liked it.
    The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyar View Post
    Everyone liked it.
    If possible, I'd like it too. I used it sometimes kust like that in the saloon while Roleplaying. Better that a gaming die test
    Ultimate license holder
    Pref : Cthulhu and savage Worlds

Quote Originally Posted by Valyar View Post
    Everyone liked it.
    Except Ikael - not that he doesn't like it but the code broke a long time ago and he did not write it in the first place.
    My players just defeated an army, had a dogfight with aliens, machine-gunned the zombies, stormed the tower, became Legendary and died heroically

Get Savage
    Ultimate License Holder.

Thanks Doswelk. That was very a very helpful option, though as you said, not helpful for pvp, thankfully I tend to avoid that.

But I have had players play an "NPC" if they wanted to join for a session, yes, sometimes even a key baddie. Throws other PCs off the first time it happens, they don't expect the character controlled by a player to be bad. haha

I believe you could simply drag and drop the cards directly to each player portraits, they wouldn't be able to see each other's cards AFAIK. And then when it's time to reveal, the GM could simply drag those cards from each player hand into the CT.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr0W View Post
    I believe you could simply drag and drop the cards directly to each player portraits, they wouldn't be able to see each other's cards AFAIK. And then when it's time to reveal, the GM could simply drag those cards from each player hand into the CT.
    That's awesome, did not know you could do that!

Get Savage
    Ultimate License Holder.

For your information, I am planning feature for the ruleset which will allow you do duels properly. For now, you can use Dr0W's suggested method. The only concern is that GM will see player cards. Like said, with upcoming ruleset update there will be proper way to do this.
    "Alright, you primitive screwheads, listen up: THIS... is my BOOMSTICK!" -- Ash Williams, Army of Darkness

Post your SavageWorlds ruleset feature requests and issue reports here!

I just ran a test, using my main account on 2 screens on one computer, then a demo account on my laptop so I can see like I'm two players at once.

When I did that, I noticed that the players can only see their own cards in the combat tracker. So the video above actually works better than we thought. Screenshots below.

Marshal View:
    FG Duels, Marshal View.png

The player view, in this case I was logged in as Pat Garret
    FG Duels, Player view.png

I would still remove the action card from the hand since it's supposed to be different, but you can do that by right clicking, and remove card, it won't remove from the combat tracker. You can see that test here, the 3H is still the action card, but removed from the hole cards.
    Removed Card.png

My thought about the Marshal knowing the player cards, I would suggest having a rule in your head about only holding action if the athletics die is at least a d8 and the hole card is a 10 or higher (or something similar). Then you're not swayed by what the PC has because you're basing it only on the NPC and the cards in hand. Sort of like blackjack, draw on 16, stand on 17.

Thread Information