FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 4 of 5 First ... 2345 Last
    Vanethian,

Just to clarify, because there seems to be some confusion. For most DLC available for FG, SmiteWorks uses community developers who work on developing and supporting the DLC products. We have many DLC products which are being developed at any one time, and those developers have a variety of schedules and availability. That's why you rarely see a date announced by SmiteWorks for delivery of a specific DLC, because oftentimes, it's being worked on by a community developer as a part time project. CoC 7E is one of those projects, and will be sold through the FG store and Steam.

There are no plans to announce a firm release date, though we will be making an announcement when the DLC is ready.

Regards,
    JPG

Blog Entries
    I think some of the subtleties of language get lost in translation.
    The product is very close now... but it will only be live when its live.

Be afraid... be very afraid!

Is it out yet? When's the release date? Are we nearly there yet?

Ok, only joking (before you murder me with tentacles)

This is a massive book and the devs must have ploughed hours and hours of work into it. I'd rather it just released when it is ready rather than burn you all out.
    Ultimate License Holder - My games are free to play
    Timezone: GMT

i am surprised that the publishers wouldnt hire someone to do these ports. However i dont know the licensing deals and all the complexities that might ensue.

Blog Entries
    Publishers only know dead trees and, at best, PDFs. SmiteWorks itself is a small company and they focus mostly on supporting the existing engine while at the same time working hard on getting the Unity engine ready. They do put out some content--a lot of the Pathfinder adventures were made by one of the SmiteWorks guys, for example. Most of the rest of the content available, however, is made by freelancers under contract such as Damned and Trenloe who commented above, and myself, among others and we do it in our spare time on our days off.

Quote Originally Posted by Roakana View Post
    i am surprised that the publishers wouldnt hire someone to do these ports. However i dont know the licensing deals and all the complexities that might ensue.
    None of us can make a living developing rulesets - it's all done in our spare time as a labour of love for the games we want to play. If a publisher hired someone to do a ruleset and paid a decent hourly rate to make it worth someone's while to do that as a "job", then the cost to the publisher would be very high. Rulesets take hundreds of hours of work. No publisher is going to pay anywhere near minimum hourly rates to produce a ruleset for one of their systems. Hence why it's usually a small percentage royalty of sales go to the developers. Which, for all but the rare very popular systems (i.e. 5E WotC products), doesn't equate to a full time job income.

The model is pretty standard in the RPG industry (low rates/royalties paid to writers/developers). Remember that we're in the RPG industry here, not the big-bucks software development industry.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Hence why i deferred on understanding. i guess it is better to to spend money on higher profile marketing than do alot of work converting a ruleset that your fans might do as a passion project :P.

I am in software development... it still has some of those similarities. That is why we like to provide tools so there is user created content :P.

Its now in the store

I have the call of cthulhu, I even translated it, but it is 6E, will I be entitled to an upgrade or will I have to acquire the new ruleset to access 7E?

A lot of work went into creating the 7E ruleset. It has lots of extra stuff over 6E.

Thread Information