DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 4 of 4 First ... 234
    now for the step create the issues.
    1. go to characters to create new PC.
    2. when the PC is built, there will be four tabs main, skills, inventory, and notes.
    3. go to skills, the window should look something like this Attachment 16538.
    4. then click any in the skill frame Attachment 16539.
    5. this error message will show up. Script Error: [string "common/scripts/list_text.lua"]:46: attempt to index field '?' (a nil value)
    6. the the window should look like this Attachment 16540.

hope this helps.
    Last edited by Dragon_of_old; November 21st, 2016 at 18:31.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon_of_old View Post
    ok here is the pak file.
    Attachment 16537
    Thanks.

I've asked twice (three times now) for the steps to reproduce the issue you're having. Please provide these so I'm not just randomly poking around. Thanks.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

the step creates the issues.
    1. go to characters to create new PC.
    2. when the PC is built, there will be four tabs main, skills, inventory, and notes.
    3. go to skills, the window should look something like this Attachment 16538.
    4. then click any in the skill frame Attachment 16539.
    5. this error message will show up. Script Error: [string "common/scripts/list_text.lua"]:46: attempt to index field '?' (a nil value)
    6. the the window should look like this Attachment 16540.

hope this helps.

this is what I did to get the issue. is the issue not show up for you or when a new pc make the skill list up you?
    Last edited by Dragon_of_old; November 21st, 2016 at 18:38.

Thanks, that helps a lot.

this is what I did to get the issue. is the issue not show up for you or when a new pc make the skill list up you?
    Yep, I can recreate. Let me look into it for you...
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

OK, the issue was that you were loading up a single <windowclass> into a <windowlist> with all of the skill controls hard coded into that one <windowclass>.

The best way is to build the skill list like the 5E ruleset ruleset does. It references a LUA table called "skilldata" in the scripts\data_common.lua file and builds the skills from here. It's very flexible (allows you to easily add/remove skills) and also allows the user to add/remove skills within the character sheet via the right-click menus.

Attached is the ruleset with most of this 5E code added and modified to allow the skilldata to be added dynamically. The result is this:

Thank you, for write this LUA code I'm still trying learn LUA code. So I've been staying on the XML side of FG.

Quick question: I want the first number field to be filled in by the player's stat so if they have "3 in INT" where on the skill tab if any skill uses "INT" it will have "3" in that skill's number field.

it would look this: Alchemy-Int [3] + [ ] = [ ]

so if I put the player's stat number field in "stat =" making look like this,

[Interface.getString("Alchemy")] = { lookup = "alchemy", stat = 'Int_stat' },

would I need a reference it in the "base.xml" or point it to the "main.xml" and if so ruleset would if the code?

Last edited by Dragon_of_old; November 22nd, 2016 at 16:09.

Thank you, for write this LUA code I'm still trying learn LUA code. So I've been staying on the XML side of FG.

Quick question: I want the first number field to be filled in by the player's stat so if they have "3 in INT" where on the skill tab if any skill uses "INT" it will have "3" in that skill's number field.

it would look this: Alchemy-Int [3] + [ ] = [ ]

so if I put the player's stat number field in "stat =" making look like this,

[Interface.getString("Alchemy")] = { lookup = "alchemy", stat = 'Int_stat' },

would I need a reference it in the "base.xml" or point it to the "main.xml" and if so ruleset would if the code?
    Again, I would look at the 5E ruleset as a reference - it does this for skills. 5E has a stat assigned to the skill and that stat's bonus is added to the skill, you'd just need to change it to add the actual stat value rather than a bonus based off the value (which is what 5E does).

Most of this has already been done in the 5E ruleset (or the 3.5E ruleset as well), so there is no need to invent code, use what has gone before. In 5E the scripts\data_common.lua file contains the skill information in "skilldata" (a LUA table), which includes the stat used for the skill.

I left this in the code, but blank, in the code I created above (because I thought something like this might be your next step). I've filled in a little of this in the attached updated ruleset. Look at the "skilldata" LUA table in scripts\data_common.lua, I've added a few stat entries there. I've also added a ability cycler control to the skills row that will be populated based off this "stat" value in the skillsdata table. I have not done any code to extract the value of the stat and place it in the "stat" field - that one's for you to do!

Comment: Please don't take this the wrong way... I love your ambition to take on this ruleset. But, taking a quick look through the Iron Kingdoms rulebook, I think you're being very, very ambitious by trying to do this ruleset with all of the bells and whistles. As an example: the mechanics around "social" skills will be a very difficult thing to do in the ruleset. To be perfectly honest, I'd recommend running your Iron Kingdoms games using the MoreCore ruleset, available here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...reCore-Ruleset. This will allow you to get a lot of the character sheet setup without writing XML/LUA - sure it won't have Iron Kingdoms specific automation, but I honestly think that doing anything like that in code is beyond your current abilities (no offence intended - I'm just being honest from what I see in this thread). The last thing I want you to do is spend hours and hours and hours on this and then get frustrated and drop it. Developing a ruleset is 100's of hours of work (even for those of us who are experienced in FG coding). You're much better using something like the MoreCore framework to get the basics in a character sheet and allow you to play (which is the important part), and handle the complex stuff manually (just like you would if you were playing around a real table).

I think a bit off more than I can chew with the character sheet in this ruleset. The last ruleset that I made was just a place to keep details & maps in, I think it will be best to go back the drawing board for this ruleset.

Thank you for all of your help and being patient with me, I have learned a great deal from this exchange I look forward to future exchanges.

I'd look at MoreCore: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...reCore-Ruleset

Damned has done an amazing job with adding a lot of extra functionality into this release. You can now do lots more with custom dice rolling, triggering tables, etc. from within the character sheet.

Thread Information