STAR TREK 2d20
Page 77 of 329 First ... 2767757677787987127177 ... Last
    Blog Entries
    Creating/adding your own new rolls

The first thing to do is use a roll from /scripts (as opposed to /desktop/scripts) as your base Template. Use one that is close already in usage as your template.

1. In your /scripts/manager_custom_mynewroll.lua roll set the Roll type:
    local sCmd = "mynewroll";
    2. Include this new script in /base.xml
    <script name="CustomDiceMyNewRoll" file="scripts/manager_custom_mynewroll.lua" />
    3. Create a new Button Icon for the roll and store in /graphics/icons folder
    4. Define in /graphics/graphics_icons.xml
    <icon name="mynewroll" file="graphics/icons/button_mynewroll.png" />
    5. Setup the auto Icon definition in /campaign/template_campaign.xml
    Add to the <template name="button_rolls_type"> in 3 places - 2 as mynewroll (icons and values) and 1 as MyNewRoll (tooltips).
    Add to the <template name="button_rolls"> in 3 places - 2 as mynewroll (icons and values) and 1 as MyNewRoll (tooltips).
    6. Add to /campaign/record_cas.xml
    Add to the <string_column name="clichatcommand"> just above the elseif == nil statement
    elseif sCommand == "mynewroll" then
    nodeWin.getChild("rollstype").setValue("mynewroll" );
    7. Add it to the /dicehelp command via /scripts/dicehelp.lua
    Add it to the function createHelpMessage()

And then package up those changed files and send to me (with permission to use/include/share) so that it can be included in the next version of MoreCore and you wont have to redo your changes after the next update.

So I am focusing on the character sheet now as I have a slight grasp on the frames, etc. Right now all I have done was change the background frame (and the desktop background which was fun learning all the pieces).

I had a question, though. I am not exactly sure where to place the attributes. On the MoreCore tab there is an Attributes frame which is editable but I am uncertain if it somehow can be linked up to the Main tab's area.

I feel like I should place them on the Main tab and then make it so the Current Values show up on the MoreCore tab...I realize how dependent I've been on designers doing all this for me...

Just happy I got this far.

MoreCoreTab.png

MainTab.png

Blog Entries
    Awesome.
    Those same nine slices are in use in the character sheet too - or they may not be some of the frames are just using an offset...
    Also I dont always use all of the nine slices - particularly when I use a graphic as opposed to a background...

So MoreCore really only changes the MoreCore tab - plus I made Attributes drag and droppable and exportable in a library.
    Personally - unless you need the extra room - I only use the front sheet for most of these things.
    Attributes on the front sheet is just a title which can be edited (and the default can also be set to anything in your extension but defaults do not overwrite existing values) and the frame contains Rolls whereas Attributes on the Main tab are a different data type called Attributes. I extended the functionality of those only so far as to make them drag and drop and exportable. They have no mechanical value. They are in effect similar to a Roll without a dice string except that the Roll will output something useful to the Chat window.

Always make sure you are making your changes in your extension and not in the ruleset...

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    So MoreCore really only changes the MoreCore tab - plus I made Attributes drag and droppable and exportable in a library.
    Personally - unless you need the extra room - I only use the front sheet for most of these things.
    Attributes on the front sheet is just a title which can be edited (and the default can also be set to anything in your extension but defaults do not overwrite existing values) and the frame contains Rolls whereas Attributes on the Main tab are a different data type called Attributes. I extended the functionality of those only so far as to make them drag and drop and exportable. They have no mechanical value. They are in effect similar to a Roll without a dice string except that the Roll will output something useful to the Chat window.
    Not sure I understand the implications of all that but I shall learn.

Always make sure you are making your changes in your extension and not in the ruleset...
    Yes, I am editing only my extension.

I mocked up a possible layout with everything on the MoreCore tab (except inventory). T&T does separate the attributes between Mental and Physical (more as a label/grouping than anything mechanic wise). Or, I could separate them as Current and Maximum. Then probably change it to be attribute and value, so Strength 10 in the string and people could manually change them.

Still have to figure out the combat area as T&T does combat a bit differently. I am not sure about the Attacks part as I am not familiar enough with the attack/damage strings and I haven't found anything on the wiki that seems to work.

Sorry for the rambling..Just working things out loud...
    MoreCoreTab-MockUp.png

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TriOpticon View Post
    Not sure I understand the implications of all that but I shall learn.
    Basically - Attributes on the Main tab are text only and not much point in using them.
    You can have text only attributes in Rolls and they will report usage if you set them up as a Roll - Eg Spock uses Navigation.

Yes, I am editing only my extension.

I mocked up a possible layout with everything on the MoreCore tab (except inventory). T&T does separate the attributes between Mental and Physical (more as a label/grouping than anything mechanic wise). Or, I could separate them as Current and Maximum. Then probably change it to be attribute and value, so Strength 10 in the string and people could manually change them.

Still have to figure out the combat area as T&T does combat a bit differently. I am not sure about the Attacks part as I am not familiar enough with the attack/damage strings and I haven't found anything on the wiki that seems to work.
    You can replace the MoreCore logo with a Tunnels and Trolls one.
    You might find attacks work or you might find that there is another Roll that works better.
    Im still working on exploding Dice.
    ianmward has been enlisted...

Hi damned,

When I use /edie it seems that the total doesn't display in the chat window.

I want to roll multiple exploding dice : /edie d8+d6 for example. The two rolls explode but don't sum up. Is there a way to display the total with exploding dice ?

Thanks,

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by trobadork View Post
    Hi damned,

When I use /edie it seems that the total doesn't display in the chat window.

I want to roll multiple exploding dice : /edie d8+d6 for example. The two rolls explode but don't sum up. Is there a way to display the total with exploding dice ?

Thanks,
    I have adjusted the behavior of the /edie roll for the next release.

Basically - Attributes on the Main tab are text only and not much point in using them.
    You can have text only attributes in Rolls and they will report usage if you set them up as a Roll - Eg Spock uses Navigation.
    OK, I got it now. I thought that is what you meant.

You can replace the MoreCore logo with a Tunnels and Trolls one.
    Yes, I will have to see if Flying Buffalo have one they don't mind me using.

You might find attacks work or you might find that there is another Roll that works better.
    OK, so I am trying to visualize how to use this once I think I am finished. In your earlier image trollrolls.jpg you have the +/- button next to the attribute and then a Level box. So my attribute may say Charisma 9 and the Dice String will say /mod 9 (unless there is a way to read the string for a number?) so it adds the modifier to the Modifier box. And then the Level 1 dice string would be something like /troll 2d6L1 (I am guessing at how it will know what level of a roll it is). Then when they click the TT die icon (which is neat by the way) next to Level 1 it knows this is a T&T roll so it runs the code to do the doubles then sees it is level 1 and it sees the Mod box has 9 in it so it will calculate the TN (L1 = 20 - MOD) of 11. Then it will show the total dice rolled and state Success (or whatever)?

I will really have to think about the combat. T&T is very abstract as a round of combat is basically each side rolls all their weapon's attack dice, and whichever side has the highest total wins the round and causes damage (the difference between each side's total) with some damage getting through no matter who wins (a 6 counts as an auto hit). And damage caused is spread among each side's characters. Armor can take some of the damage, too. My thought would be that each character/NPC rolls their dice and then add them up manually. Or is there a way for players to put all their dice in a pool and then roll them to get the total once all players have put their dice in? We could do the difference automatically.

Im still working on exploding Dice.
    ianmward has been enlisted...
    I really appreciate that. I was looking at the dice code and I could see how to get it to roll but I wasn't sure how to check the dice results and then roll again if they were doubles. I tell ya, not having a real-time debugger is a pain.

I really hope me taking up this thread with my thinking out loud approach is OK.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TriOpticon View Post
    Yes, I will have to see if Flying Buffalo have one they don't mind me using.
    Almost no one will object to you using their logo in a positive manner when not attempting to pass yourself off as them or as having an official relationship.
    Additionally this is the only one that still has an active trademark...
    https://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showf...807:9xg74k.2.1

[QUOTE]OK, so I am trying to visualize how to use this once I think I am finished. In your earlier image trollrolls.jpg you have the +/- button next to the attribute and then a Level box. So my attribute may say Charisma 9 and the Dice String will say /mod 9 (unless there is a way to read the string for a number?) so it adds the modifier to the Modifier box. And then the Level 1 dice string would be something like /troll 2d6L1 (I am guessing at how it will know what level of a roll it is). Then when they click the TT die icon (which is neat by the way) next to Level 1 it knows this is a T&T roll so it runs the code to do the doubles then sees it is level 1 and it sees the Mod box has 9 in it so it will calculate the TN (L1 = 20 - MOD) of 11. Then it will show the total dice rolled and state Success (or whatever)?

I will really have to think about the combat. T&T is very abstract as a round of combat is basically each side rolls all their weapon's attack dice, and whichever side has the highest total wins the round and causes damage (the difference between each side's total) with some damage getting through no matter who wins (a 6 counts as an auto hit). And damage caused is spread among each side's characters. Armor can take some of the damage, too. My thought would be that each character/NPC rolls their dice and then add them up manually. Or is there a way for players to put all their dice in a pool and then roll them to get the total once all players have put their dice in? We could do the difference automatically.
    The Name String is used in the Output Message but has no mechanical value.
    The Roll is what is parsed for values - yes I used /mod 1 thru /mod 10
    You can use the Dice Pool to build up a pool of dice but each person maintains their own dice pool so maybe the GM could build the pool?
    How can you do difference automatically? I cant see a way to do that...

I really appreciate that. I was looking at the dice code and I could see how to get it to roll but I wasn't sure how to check the dice results and then roll again if they were doubles. I tell ya, not having a real-time debugger is a pain.

I really hope me taking up this thread with my thinking out loud approach is OK.
    Checking for doubles is easy... Ill send you my current build soon... I wont post it until I have exploding dice ready.

Blog Entries
    Checking for doubles is easy... Ill send you my current build soon... I wont post it until I have exploding dice ready.
    Look at the code in /orderresult which should give you some clues on comparing dice results.

Thread Information