DICE PACKS BUNDLE
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePatriot View Post
    I am merely asking for help in making a character sheet and I noticed that others get help for making their character sheets. I don't know why I am being ignored or being mistreated by community members. Is it because I want to use the same layout from an existing incomplete ruleset? Is it because I linked to the existing ruleset? I don't know, but I see others getting help while I am attacked and ignored. I have owned FG for almost 11 years now (March 15, 2019 with be the 11th anniversary since I bought FG Standard and 2xPlayer Copies back when they were an option). I have been exceedingly polite and never once violated the rules. Yet, I get attacked and nothing is done to those that have been attacking me. Why is this? I was told by a community member that I didn't want to do the work in response to my third post in asking for help. I was told by damned that this thread is for MoreCore only. I sent the link as a reference on what I wanted to do. Still shots cannot convey what it is I wanted to do due to the automation in the character sheet in the WEG Star Wars D6 ruleset on the wiki. Is his behavior towards me condoned by FG?

I haven't been active on the forums until now due to real life things like being homeless for the majority of the time I have owned FG. I am preparing to use it for a group of 8 people that will be buying or licensing the software. Why? Because I've always liked the product.

Can I copy and paste the existing character sheet from WEG Star Wars into the MoreCore character sheet and have it work? That's all I want to do is use that character sheet since the default MoreCore sheet is not for WEG Star Wars.
    Please calm down, take a deep breath and take a step back. Sorry if that sounds patronising, but that is what you need to do here.

Everyone who has replied to you in this thread is trying to help. Sure, some have been curt, probably because they are very busy and couldn't spend the time to download and review a ruleset to even determine if they're able to help, or maybe they're reading the forums while not in front of their computer where FG is installed. It's great that you've now provided screenshots of the character sheet you've been referencing - so that people can review in a few seconds, without the need for access to the ruleset and FG, and see what you're asking. Other than, IMO, one slightly pushy response, I don't see you being attacked - I know you think otherwise, so we'll have to disagree on that. With the exception of Moon Wizard, everyone who has been trying to help you are unpaid community members who have all given many hundreds of hours of their time to provide code and give assistance to multiple members on these forums. If someone asks for more info, but then tells you they can't help you have to respect that - maybe it's because it is beyond their ability to help you. Even if it's not beyond their ability, and they choose not to help you, that is their prerogative (these are community members who give their time for free, so it's up to them when and where they spend time), threatening to leave negative reviews won't help the situation either.

So, like I said - please take a deep breath and take a step back...

Now, let's look at your request. MoreCore is a ruleset that is a framework to build on top of the base CoreRPG, primarily by allowing all types of dice rolls (most of which have been developed by damned with assistance from other community members) to be incorporated into a fairly fixed format character sheet - which has a number of list windows where different rolls and data can be entered, with some additional hooks into the combat tracker. This is MoreCore's strength, but also can be its weakness for those that want to have truly custom character sheets - which can be difficult to do in the MoreCore structure without losing a lot of the underlying code in the current character sheet, and making it difficult to upgrade in future.

So, with that said, your first decision should be "which ruleset do I use for my custom character sheet?"
    • If you're willing to lose a lot of the layout from your screenshots, but fit within the MoreCore character sheet framework, then it might be pretty quick for you to create a character sheet in MoreCore with the data and rolls you're looking to cater for. Have a look at some of the example character sheets created in the standard MoreCore, with little or no coding, here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...aracter-Sheets
    • But, if you want it to look exactly like the screenshots you've provided, it might be better for you to look at CoreRPG. You say "I certainly didn't have a problem in making a WEG Star Wars sheet in CoreRPG after viewing that tutorial either. Downside of the CoreRPG is no wild die that WEG Star Wars 2E uses." so you're already most of they way there. If the issue is that there's no specific dice mechanic in CoreRPG, then you can look at taking that (or something close to it) from More Core and putting into CoreRPG - it will probably be easier to build on top of what you have in CoreRPG, rather than trying to do a fully custom character sheet in MoreCore.

My recommendation, if you're still interested in using MoreCore, is to load it up and see if you can enter a few of the data fields and actions (rolls) that WEG Star Wars needs without changing the underlying layout/code of the character sheet. That is, using MoreCore as it's designed for - adding data and rolls into a relatively fixed format character sheet. If this works for you, then great - you're well on the way to getting your character sheet done, and closer to gaming with your friends. There may be a couple of things that you don't like, and you can look at doing minor modifications for these. Much less work than developing a complete custom character sheet and maintaining it over future releases.

If the MoreCore character sheet doesn't work for you, then it might be best to build what you want on top of CoreRPG - you're already some of the way there, and can look at bringing any currently developed dice roll frameworks from MoreCore to develop the dice rolls you need. For example, the WEG dice roll is in scripts\manager_custom_weg.lua in the MoreCore ruleset. Information on coding FG actions available here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...(dice-rolling)

Hope the above helps you get focused on deciding how to progress towards playing Star Wars!
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Please calm down, take a deep breath and take a step back. Sorry if that sounds patronising, but that is what you need to do here.

Everyone who has replied to you in this thread is trying to help. Sure, some have been curt, probably because they are very busy and couldn't spend the time to download and review a ruleset to even determine if they're able to help, or maybe they're reading the forums while not in front of their computer where FG is installed. It's great that you've now provided screenshots of the character sheet you've been referencing - so that people can review in a few seconds, without the need for access to the ruleset and FG, and see what you're asking. Other than, IMO, one slightly pushy response, I don't see you being attacked - I know you think otherwise, so we'll have to disagree on that. With the exception of Moon Wizard, everyone who has been trying to help you are unpaid community members who have all given many hundreds of hours of their time to provide code and give assistance to multiple members on these forums. If someone asks for more info, but then tells you they can't help you have to respect that - maybe it's because it is beyond their ability to help you. Even if it's not beyond their ability, and they choose not to help you, that is their prerogative (these are community members who give their time for free, so it's up to them when and where they spend time), threatening to leave negative reviews won't help the situation either.

So, like I said - please take a deep breath and take a step back...

Now, let's look at your request. MoreCore is a ruleset that is a framework to build on top of the base CoreRPG, primarily by allowing all types of dice rolls (most of which have been developed by damned with assistance from other community members) to be incorporated into a fairly fixed format character sheet - which has a number of list windows where different rolls and data can be entered, with some additional hooks into the combat tracker. This is MoreCore's strength, but also can be its weakness for those that want to have truly custom character sheets - which can be difficult to do in the MoreCore structure without losing a lot of the underlying code in the current character sheet, and making it difficult to upgrade in future.

So, with that said, your first decision should be "which ruleset do I use for my custom character sheet?"
    • If you're willing to lose a lot of the layout from your screenshots, but fit within the MoreCore character sheet framework, then it might be pretty quick for you to create a character sheet in MoreCore with the data and rolls you're looking to cater for. Have a look at some of the example character sheets created in the standard MoreCore, with little or no coding, here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...aracter-Sheets
    • But, if you want it to look exactly like the screenshots you've provided, it might be better for you to look at CoreRPG. You say "I certainly didn't have a problem in making a WEG Star Wars sheet in CoreRPG after viewing that tutorial either. Downside of the CoreRPG is no wild die that WEG Star Wars 2E uses." so you're already most of they way there. If the issue is that there's no specific dice mechanic in CoreRPG, then you can look at taking that (or something close to it) from More Core and putting into CoreRPG - it will probably be easier to build on top of what you have in CoreRPG, rather than trying to do a fully custom character sheet in MoreCore.

My recommendation, if you're still interested in using MoreCore, is to load it up and see if you can enter a few of the data fields and actions (rolls) that WEG Star Wars needs without changing the underlying layout/code of the character sheet. That is, using MoreCore as it's designed for - adding data and rolls into a relatively fixed format character sheet. If this works for you, then great - you're well on the way to getting your character sheet done, and closer to gaming with your friends. There may be a couple of things that you don't like, and you can look at doing minor modifications for these. Much less work than developing a complete custom character sheet and maintaining it over future releases.

If the MoreCore character sheet doesn't work for you, then it might be best to build what you want on top of CoreRPG - you're already some of the way there, and can look at bringing any currently developed dice roll frameworks from MoreCore to develop the dice rolls you need. For example, the WEG dice roll is in scripts\manager_custom_weg.lua in the MoreCore ruleset. Information on coding FG actions available here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...(dice-rolling)

Hope the above helps you get focused on deciding how to progress towards playing Star Wars!
    I am calm. I've only explained the exact same thing 5 times now in this thread on what I want to do. This makes six. Yes, I am frustrated. Yes, I don't like being treated like crap by everyone here. Would you?

So people telling me that I don't want to work on the character sheet isn't attacking me? What about that same person saying that I was like another person that was banned? Mocking me for not knowing how to do something when I asked the same question other people have on custom character sheets isn't mistreatment?

I am a returning customer after 11 years to use the product I bought to run a game for 8 people. 8 future customers. Do you think they would be so keen on buying FG now if they see the treatment afforded to a returning customer that spent $75?

FGReceipt.jpg

I've chosen MoreCore. I'm not concerned about the layout too much. I just want the information that is held on the character sheet to be held on the MoreCore version. This is why I'm here. I want to make a character sheet in MoreCore. This is what the past 5 pages have been about. I want to have a WEG Star Wars character sheet in MoreCore. I can't explain it any more simpler then this. I asked for information on how to do it. So far no one has been able to provide the information I need to make it. I even sent you a PM asking you if I could take the character sheet as is and copy/paste it into MoreCore. No reply. Dead silence. I've asked this question twice in here as well. Same thing. How is this helping me when no one is replying to my questions?

I didn't write this ruleset. I didn't create terrible tutorials for said ruleset either. I came here for help with a custom character sheet. As a complete novice with MoreCore I don't know how to do it. I came to the person that made the ruleset for help. I was told to look at other character sheets and expected to magically know all the code. Tell me would that be helpful to you if you were in my place? I even explained in my first post I was confused about making the character sheet. See in his tutorial videos he doesn't show you the tabs as the camera is all zoomed in and he doesn't tell you if this is using the MoreCore.pak in the very first post in this thread or if he is coding it from scratch. So imagine my surprise when I was treated the way I was. Now all I want help with is how to code a character sheet using MoreCore. I have no idea what game the MoreCore ruleset is set for with its default character sheet. If not, then I'll stick with CoreRPG.
    Last edited by ThePatriot; March 14th, 2019 at 14:52.

I didn't write this ruleset. I didn't create terrible tutorials for said ruleset either. I came here for help with a custom character sheet. As a complete novice with MoreCore I don't know how to do it. I came to the person that made the ruleset for help. I was told to look at other character sheets and expected to magically know all the code.
    Early on, damned wrote this to you:

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Otherwise explain what dice rolls you need to replicate and Ill try and explain how you would set it up in MoreCore.
    I have yet to see your (calm) explanation of what dice rolls you need. Telling someone to download a ruleset and figure it out is pushing your work onto someone else. If you don't have time to do it, why do you think someone else does? If you would explain what rolls you need setup, damned or someone else would help you do so - telling us to do the work in figuring out the rolls is unlikely to lead any results.

Blog Entries
    Hello Patriot,

MoreCore is based on CoreRPG, so it shares a lot of the same methods to create the basic sheet. Damned's tutorial may assume you've already seen the basics of how to use CoreRPG (I don't recall since I haven't watched it in a while.) Anyway, take a look at this video where I walk through creating a CoreRPG sheet for a different game. It shows several different methods you might be able to employ to make it work the way you want. Then, go back and check out the MoreCore videos to see if they make more sense after learning the basics.

If you want to have advanced automation, then neither CoreRPG or MoreCore are going to suit your long-term needs. For that, you would be better served to start from the ruleset you linked and look into modifying it further. Unzip that pak file and try small changes to the xml files to add in new abilities or to see the LUA scripts that are linked to specific areas. You can simply override those with new versions that fit your needs. You don't have to re-pak the file at all either, any change you make will immediately be visible within Fantasy Grounds whenever you reload the ruleset. I often put a /reload command and a /save command in my hotkey bar when I'm doing ruleset work.

Oops, I forgot to include the link to the video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG9ovku3T48
    Last edited by ddavison; March 14th, 2019 at 16:48.

This is what the past 5 pages have been about. I want to have a WEG Star Wars character sheet in MoreCore. I can't explain it any more simpler then this. I asked for information on how to do it. So far no one has been able to provide the information I need to make it. (snip) I've asked this question twice in here as well. Same thing. How is this helping me when no one is replying to my questions?
    Oh my... you are going to have to stop going on and on about this - there have been many experienced FG developers asking you for more information. You might think you've given enough information, but the fact that people are asking for more is an indication of that not being the case.

I even sent you a PM asking you if I could take the character sheet as is and copy/paste it into MoreCore. No reply. Dead silence.
    Err, what the heck is my reply (post#1501) that you just quote? I've replied - within 8 hours of you sending me a PM (which was sent during my night). This is not dead silence. The fact that I chose not to reply to your PM but reply here within 8 hours of your PM, is not dead silence. And, please read my signature as to why I don't reply to PMs that aren't "personal" messages.

Now, all you're doing is ranting and pointing fingers at people - in the case I've just quoted, completely unfairly and without merit.

I want to make a WEG Star Wars D6 character sheet in MoreCore. I want it to look like the one in the WEG Star Wars d6 ruleset I linked to. How many of you actually looked at what I linked to? None, so the entire miscommunication is on you all. I was very clear from the get go on what I wanted to do. It is y'alls failure to review what I wanted to do in MoreCore. Not my fault that you failed to download the WEG Star Wars D6 ruleset to see that character sheet.
    And you claim that people are attacking you? Now you claim that it is everyone else's fault for miscommunication because they don't spend a bunch of time trying to find out exactly what it is you're looking for?!?

I can quote many other times in your recent posts in this thread where people have been asking you for info, but you choose to pass the buck back and claim that it's our fault for not spending lots of time downloading rulesets, firing up FG and working out what you're asking for. Then when people reply to you curtly (rightly so if you're not providing info or expecting other to go search for it to help you) you accuse them of attacking you!

Then, when I take the time to answer you, you go on another rant - please don't say you aren't ranting, at this point you are. You've had the main FG developer giving you feedback - but all you do is rant back, you've had an experienced FG community developer (me) spending 30 minutes to give you feedback and your reply is basically a rant, and casting unfounded accusations of me not replying and giving you dead silence. Seriously!

We understand you don't know how to do things. But asking for help by expecting everyone to go and research what you're asking for is not the way to do things - help us to help you by providing the information in a clear and easy to digest way! Now, finally, in among all the unfounded finger pointing, you're actually getting to provide us the template you want to compare with, and that you're willing to work towards a character sheet that isn't exactly like this in MoreCore but you're not sure how to go about that - the documentation and videos aren't doing it for you - that's all you should have said, instead of going on about how terrible they are - they've worked well for many other people.

Anyway, I wish you luck with your endeavour - I have replied to you already. Now, maybe my response didn't address exactly what you were looking for - in that case, I would have recommended explaining further so that I understand where I missed the mark and could help further. Instead you go on and on about how you've explained yourself "this makes six" times, how you've been poorly treated, attacked, etc., etc.. And then the one time I've replied to you, with assistance, you accuse me of "No reply. Dead silence." This indicates to me that you're now just on a complete drama trip, with every little thing being the world against you.

People are trying to help you, but all you're doing is inflaming the situation. Like I said already - calm down, you may think you're calm, but you are most certainly not coming across that way. I suggest that if you would like anyone to attempt to help you, then you should just stick to the subject matter of the question, even if people ask you for more information - give them it, don't take offence at the slightest thing (it is too easy to misinterpret the written word), and if people don't want to answer you and spend their free time helping you then that's OK - it's nothing to keep complaining about!

Anyway, I'm going to exercise my own prerogative of spending my free time trying to help people who appreciate it, even if I have to communicate with them a few times before we get on the same page - I've been doing that on these forums for 8 years and I've rarely come across such an extreme reaction to people asking for more information... I hope someone takes the time to help you further - and if they do, I recommend you be appreciative, because all I've seen so far is a load of self entitled ranting. Good luck.
    Last edited by Trenloe; March 14th, 2019 at 18:24.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I'm going to go ahead and lock this thread for now. I don't see any more constructive information being shared at this point.

If you have additional suggestions for ThePatriot that may help in building a custom character sheet that he is looking for, please handle over PM.

Thanks,
    JPG

Sacrilege!
    The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.

Thread Information