DICE PACKS BUNDLE
    Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    I dont think so....
    Hmmm.... I use effects heavily in my current 5e campaign, and those certainly work. If it is true that there are separate modifier stacks for each player, then Symbaroum will not work smoothly. I am making heavy use of the /mod feature in MoreCore to e.g. use one click to set the specific defense on a monster, so when the player makes their attack roll it modifies that roll with description of why. Having to verbally tell the player to set the right defense will not work well. This may also be a flaw in the official Symbaroum ruleset. If so, ouch. Perhaps FG needs a "shared mod stack" mode, and a "separated mod stack" mode to support this "player rolls everything" oddity of Symbaroum well. Better would be the GM having 2 separate mod stacks, one for their own rolls, and one that will impact the next roll made by a player.
    Last edited by AKB; January 30th, 2020 at 05:29.

Blog Entries
    what would happen if the players acted out of order?
    can you outline in as much detail as possible how the Symbaroum mechanics work and Ill see what we can come up with.
    Other games like Dungeon World are all player only rolls - Im sure we can work out a solid solution.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    what would happen if the players acted out of order?
    The mod box would become a shared resource and respected as such. But FG not allowing the GM to modify player rolls seems like a very serious limitation. I ran Savage Worlds for years and I suppose it is only because I did such a good job of laying all of the possible modifiers out for players that I never noticed this. In 5e that I am now running, there are no modifiers. It is either advantage/disadvantage that the players can easily click, or many, many effects that I can indeed apply to their character and it impact their rolls perfectly.

The way that Symbaroum works is very original and I love it for that. The players make ALL of the rolls! How is this possible?

-Each specific creature gets a fixed attack modifier, fixed defense modified, and fixed amount of damage when it hits (along with effects), and fixed armor absorption on hit. The key here is the term "fixed" for creatures, meaning they never need to roll and only modify players rolls.
    -When the player attacks the creature, their attack roll is modified by the fixed defense modifier of the creature.
    -When the player hits, they roll for damage and the fixed armor reduction of the creature is subtracted from that damage.
    -When the creature attacks the player, the player rolls defense, and this is modified by the creatures fixed attack modifier.
    -When the creature hits the player, the player rolls his armor reduction and this is modified by the fixed damage that the creature weapons being employed does (effects, like poisoned, are applied separate and can be done with FG effects with no problem).

So you can see that this means that if the GM can impact the mods on player rolls then EVERYTHING works great. But if they cannot, then NOTHING works. Even if the player is told how to modify it, the combat log cannot show the message on what the modifier is, whereas using your /mod feature this is fully supported.
    Last edited by AKB; January 30th, 2020 at 06:52.

Blog Entries
    ok.
    we need to spell this out in detail

what is the /symb roll? its a 1d20 (but you prefer that not be hard coded so you can substitute 2d10)

Attack Rolls.
    Are they modified by BOTH attacker Attack Bonus AND defender Defense Modifier?
    Do you roll over or under?
    What if you roll Equal?
    Are there other modifiers? Why?
    What should the chat output do/say?

Defense Rolls.
    Are they modified by BOTH attacker Attack Bonus AND defender Defense Modifier?
    Do you roll over or under?
    What if you roll Equal?
    Are there other modifiers? Why?
    What should the chat output do/say?

For Damage on Monsters the DamageDR button will do this using Defence as the number to reduce by
    or DamageDR4 button will do this using c4 as the number to reduce by
    or DamageDR5 button will do this using c5 as the number to reduce by

What fields do you need on the Char Sheet for this?

We have:
    Health (renameable) which is total hp or health
    Defence (renameable) which either makes you harder to hit or reduces the damage taken - i think this shoudl be your defence modifier
    Wounds
    c4 (renameable) one of these should be Damage Reduction and the Other Attack Bonus
    c5 (renameable) one of these should be Damage Reduction and the Other Attack Bonus

-The current /symb roll works great. You can designate any dice to roll (official rules say 1d20, but I can already say 2d10 and it works great), and it is roll equal to or under target number which is a parameter. The problem is that unlike the official ruleset, it doesn't show how much the roll was over or under (or equal to) the target. I would like this to show because this gives a "degree of success/failure" that can be very useful, but is not used much in official rules.

-Generally, each character/monster attribute (accurate, cunning, discreet, persuasive, quick, resolute, strong, and vigilant) is used to do a simple calculation that yields exactly one modifier for that stat. Attributes range from 5 to 15, where the modifier is simply +5 for a 5 in that attribute, up to -5 for a 15 in that attribute. So 10 is a zero modifier and higher attributes gives lower mods because it is a roll under/equal system.

-Attack roll
    IF PC is attacking, then they will usually use need to roll under or equal to their Accurate (this can vary as you level up, what matters is that it will always be one of the attributes, perhaps with modifiers, but always resulting in a single general target attack number to roll under. Generally, tests are simply rolling under your target for the appropriate attribute. So if I have a 13 in Accurate, I would normally have to roll under that to hit, but the main modifier will be fixed for that particular creature based by default on Quick. So if they have a 14 quick, that yields a -4 modifier to my attack roll target. This would be easy, because I can have a MoreCore roll that says, "/mod -4 Goblin Parry", so I'd click this and say, "Ok, roll your attack" which would do the /symb roll with target of 13 which can be fed in by your terrific parameter feature, and the combat log would say for the /symb roll (since your rolls can have text) "Failure Sword attack (13) -4 Goblin Parry/Evade Roll 16" So my target would have been reduced to 9 and I've have to roll equal/under that to hit. This would ideally say "Failure by 7 Sword attack (13) -4 Goblin Parry Roll 16" with the amount if failed by. I have all of this working now in MoreCore, but it relies on my ability to click the Goblin parry and apply it to the next PC attack roll.

-Defense Roll
    Again, because only the PCs ever roll and the GM is just modifying their roll, when a monster attacks, the PC rolls on their Defense, which is by default based on Quick (let's say it is 12 here) but can be manual modified easily enough as /symb 1d20 (Quick or override value) combat text = Parry/Evade (12)". In this case, the monster would normally be attacking with their modifier based on, you guessed it, their accurate score. So I would create "/mod -2 text"Goblin Sword Attack -2". Click this roll loading it into the mod stat, and having it apply to the player's Parry/evade /symb roll of 12 for output like "Success by 3 Parry/Evade (12) -Goblin Sword Attack -2 Roll 7" because 7 is under the modified target of 12-2=10.

-Damage
    Player weapons have a roll for damage e.g. 1d6, and the monster have direct damage reduction of a set amount. So I set up a roll in MoreCore like "/roll 1d6 text"Sword Damage", but I must first click the "/mod -2 Goblin Leather Armor" so the combat log might show "Sword Damage - 2 Goblin Armor = 2 Roll 4" and this comes strait off of the Toughness (same as HP) of the Goblin.
    Creature weapons will always have a set damage values that is usually based on what the die would be on average rounded up, so e.g. a Goblin Sword would do 4 damage every time. Except! of course, the PC gets to roll their Leather Armor which in this case is a roll rather than being fixed in the monster case, so let's say their leather absorbs 1d4. (should be obvious how to do this with /mod and /symb as before) for combat log like "Leather Armor Absorbs (1d4 NOTE that you have a die roller that you can make negative, so this still works) of Goblin's 4 damage for = 3 Roll 1.

BUT NONE OF THIS WORKS, if it is true that my beautiful /mod rolls on creatures cannot apply to the PC rolls!?

Blog Entries
    too much ambiguity still.

does attack ALWAYS use Accurate?
    does defence ALWAYS use Quick?

are there any positive modifiers to Damage? like strength?

Harn Master Roll Addition

I've been experimenting with my Harn Master character sheet design and coded another roll. I don't know if anyone will find this useful or helpful but I thought I'd post it for anyone's use.

Usage: /harnroll x#y#z#code# [message]
    x = Mastery Level (code 0) or Attribute score (code 9)
    y = Penalty total (not counting incidentals tracked with Modifiers)
    z = Interpretation varies depending on value of code parameter
    code = Code designating meaning of parameter z
    message = Optional pre-pend text that appears before the roll name in chat

This is a Harn Master roll that contains some simple automation. To support the roll's automation certain assumptions are made about the structure of the character sheet. First, the combat panel fields will be interpreted as (in order from top to bottom) Fatigue, Encumbrance, Injury Total, Common (Universal) Penalty, Physical Penalty. The names are not important however the order is as it relates to the underlying MoreCore field names the roll code references. Second, a list of character attributes are stored in the first roller group on a standard MoreCore character sheet. Third, one of the character attributes in the character attribute list is named 'Endurance'. The roll code looks for Endurance in the first roller group. The following are the functions the roll performs:
    • Standard skill roll (the same as a Harn or HarnSkill roll)
    • Clear all of the combat panel values (except for the Injury Total field) by setting them to 0. This must be manually initiated by using a 'utility' roll on the character sheet.
    • Calculate and update Encumbrance field for a Harn character. This must be manually initiated by using a 'utility' roll on the character sheet.
    • Add an assigned fatigue value for a skill to the Fatigue field for each use of the skill.
    • Calculate a proxy mastery level for character attributes and roll as if proxy is a skill.

The roll uses a value provided to the code parameter to specify its operation. The following is a list of codes the roll currently uses:
    • 0 = Standard skill roll. The variable value parameter z is not used and must be set to 0. With this configuration and depending on parameter y value, HarnRoll behaves the same as HarnSkill or Harn rolls and can be used interchangeably.
    • 1 - 5 = Not currently used. Reserved for future use.
    • 6 = Reset penalty fields of Penalty Panel to 0. All other parameters (x, y, z) must be set to 0.
    • 7 = Update the encumbrance and penalty fields. Uses total weight from inventory page and the value of parameter z as a fatigue rate multiplier. Parameters x and y must be set to 0. For Harn Master 3, set the z parameter to 1. Harn Master Gold uses 2 through 5 as multipliers of Fatigue Rate.
    • 8 = Apply value of parameter z as fatigue to be added on each use to the Fatigue penalty field.
    • 9 = Apply value of parameter z as a multiplier to parameter x. This is used to create a proxy ML for a skill roll.

Here are some roll formula templates (of course the actual roll implementations fulfill the parameter and reference requirements demonstrated by the formulas):
    • Personality Attribute Roll: /harnroll x(p1)y(a)z(p2)code9 Tests - uses reference to Common Penalty field
    • Physical Attribute Roll: /harnroll x(p1)y(a)z(p2)code9 Tests - uses reference to Physical Penalty field
    • Psionic Talent Roll: /harnroll x(p1)y(a)z(p2)code8 Uses - differs from Spell Roll only by 'Uses' at the end of the formula
    • Spell Roll: /harnroll x(p1)y(a)z(p2)code8 Casts - differs from Psionic Talent Roll only by 'Casts' at the end of the formula
    • Skill Roll (no penalty): /harnroll x(p1)y0z0code0 Uses - skill use does not ever apply any penalties or penalties are pre-applied to value supplied to parameter x (Harn roll could be substituted for this configuration)
    • Skill Roll (common penalty): /harnroll x(p1)y(a)z0code0 Uses - uses reference to Common Penalty field (HarnSkill roll could be substituted for this configuration)
    • Skill Roll (physical penalty): /harnroll x(p1)y(a)z0code0 Uses - uses reference to Physical Penalty field (HarnSkill roll could be substituted for this configuration)
    • Update Encumbrance Utility Roll: /harnroll x0y0z(p1)code7 Initiates - Parameters x and y are set to 0
    • Reset Penalties Utility Roll: /harnroll x0y0z0code6 Initiates - Parameters x, y and z are all set to 0

HarnRoll code files: HarnRoll Roller for MoreCore.zip (includes cleaned up version of HarnSkill)
    Example screen shots (nothing fancy, just a default MoreCore sheet to host the rolls for testing):
    Last edited by Dave Stitt; February 8th, 2020 at 21:26. Reason: Added more explanative information

Blog Entries
    Nice one Dave Stitt

Would you like (do you give permission) me to include these into the base MoreCore?
    Can I also use your examples in the help file / manual?

Last edited by Dave Stitt; February 8th, 2020 at 20:19. Reason: Added link to post describing HarnRoll use

Combat Tracker Support Required.

As part of the Battletech; A Time of War Extension I am developing, I wish to change the layout of the Combat Tracker slightly. I have done some mods as shown in the attached file.

I have been able to change the colour of the column labels for all except name and order. This has been done within the code of one of the files (can't remember which one at the moment). The option of changing the label colour to black from the OPT list didn't seem to work. Can you advise how I can change the colour of the Name and Order labels as well.

Secondly, I want to make the number boxes smaller in width so I can align them better, but am struggling to see where this can be changed within the code. Again, any help would be appreciated.

Lastly, can I change the names of the column labels? namely dfnc & C4

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information