5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 3 of 7 First 12345 ... Last
    So far I've been spending most of my time with the sound extension However, I have dabbled with this extension. So far I've just made a couple of links. The first was a link to the updates for fg 3.2! I wanted the players to have access all the detailed changes if they wanted them. The second was to a difficulty encounter web page. I've used the encounter extension, but I thought I also might want to link to a quick page to check encounter difficulty. I also might link to one of my favorite point buy web pages soon.
    Live stream: https://www.twitch.tv/gwydione
    Youtube replays of fg sessions and tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQr...bIpAauZB41z8gA

Free stuff:
    D&D5e FAQ module for fg: https://www.dmsguild.com/product/196704/FAQs
    FG 5e Module Conversions: https://tinyurl.com/y6awo2la
    Map Maker Conversion: https://tinyurl.com/y3awlo4b
    Roll Player Conversion: https://tinyurl.com/y399kffz
    Rangers of Shadow Deep Conversion: https://tinyurl.com/rnyrgwg

Hi Everybody,

I've just placed an update to the Extension on the first post. Be aware that you will also need to download the new version of the DOE: Base Extension.

As normal, if you have any issues or suggestions then please let me know.

Enjoy!

Cheers
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10
    LinkedIn Profile: www.linkedin.com/in/mjblack

Watch our games on Twitch: www.twitch.tv/dulux_oz

Support Me on Patreon: www.patreon.com/duluxoz

Past Games, etc, on my YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/c/duluxoz

Hi Everybody,

I've just placed an update to the Extension on the first post which fixes some bugs. Be aware that you will also need to download the new version of the DOE: Base Extension.

As normal, if you have any issues or suggestions then please let me know.

Enjoy!

Cheers
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10

See Post #10 here with a great idea of how we can use this extension to link to a RealmWorks encyclopedia of your world.

Quote Originally Posted by Bidmaron View Post
    See Post #10 here with a great idea of how we can use this extension to link to a RealmWorks encyclopedia of your world.
    Nice idea.

There'd still need to be a lot of code on the FG side (way beyond what the cool DOE: OLE extension does now). But, yes, some form of API call to Ream Works is a start - the return data (and error handling) is my concern. The OLE (and sound) extension external calls are currently one-way only - there is no return of data from the request external to FG, and SmiteWorks would have to be willing to change the FG API to accommodate this (including error handling etc. to prevent a bad call/no response from hanging FG completely). Then all of the LUA scripting would need to be written to import and store the many different types of data RW could provide into the correct place in FG.

So - you'd better start lobbying for FG API changes as well as RW to allow this to even stand a chance of happening. This would really need to be a coordinated effort between the FG and RW devs, so that data formats could be agreed and all the other technical issues that can occur when two pieces of software try to take to each other.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Serious question: can't we do what Realwork does inside FG with existing Extensions (ie DOE: Locations, etc.)?
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Nice idea.

There'd still need to be a lot of code on the FG side (way beyond what the cool DOE: OLE extension does now). But, yes, some form of API call to Ream Works is a start - the return data (and error handling) is my concern. The OLE (and sound) extension external calls are currently one-way only - there is no return of data from the request external to FG, and SmiteWorks would have to be willing to change the FG API to accommodate this (including error handling etc. to prevent a bad call/no response from hanging FG completely). Then all of the LUA scripting would need to be written to import and store the many different types of data RW could provide into the correct place in FG.

So - you'd better start lobbying for FG API changes as well as RW to allow this to even stand a chance of happening. This would really need to be a coordinated effort between the FG and RW devs, so that data formats could be agreed and all the other technical issues that can occur when two pieces of software try to take to each other.
    Actually, I already figured out a way to get data into FG from outside without any API changes. It is a real kluge, but it works great. You have a background app running in Windows that would look for the production of the xml export file. Once it detects that file, it stores a signal file into the FG2 pictures directory. There is already an API call where you can install a handler when the picture directory gets updated. In that handler, you look for the signal file. If the picture update is the signal file, then you intercept the file, export your own signal material that the background task detects so it can delete the signal file from the picture directory. Then you transfer control to a routine that handles the import of the xml. I have my own extension that implements all of this, as well as the background C# program that does the directory sniffing.

Does that make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by dulux-oz View Post
    Serious question: can't we do what Realwork does inside FG with existing Extensions (ie DOE: Locations, etc.)?

You must never have used RealmWorks, my friend. Think self-producing wiki with auto-detect of entry names. FG2 cannot imbed links to other material within text blocks. Until SW overcomes that limitation, FG2 will never be sophisticated enough to replicate essential functionality within RW.

(I have an idea how to overcome the imbedded links restriction, but it is an even worse kluge than my other entry here.)

If SW would fix it where you could examine the formatted text and do hit detection within text, we could overcome the lack of hyperlinking with a little more grace, but the ability to hyperlink to other FG2 content is what FG needs the most.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bidmaron View Post
    If SW would fix it where you could examine the formatted text and do hit detection within text, we could overcome the lack of hyperlinking with a little more grace, but the ability to hyperlink to other FG2 content is what FG needs the most.
    This is an interesting thought. have you added it to the wishlist as an enhancement request? It's really not a fix, as you are suggesting new functionality, not something to fix that is broken or bugged.

Let me know if you add it, I'll vote for it.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Blog Entries
    I backed RealmWorks but have never used it. It seems they have little interest in working with other platforms. They want all the content.

Thread Information