DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Unlocking purchased .dat files in the \vault directory

I bought the Princes of the Apocalypse module through steam, and installed it on my local machine. I've been able to bring up a campaign using the module without issues, however there's one thing I'm stuck trying to accomplish - manually edit the images saved in the base campaign. I would like to have a slowly updated area map with proper text headers for the locations the PCs discover. Copying overlay portions of the DM map onto the Player map is the simplest way to do this while maintaining the same visual aesthetic of the base map, and would be a snap, buuut...

I found the WOTC5EPOTA.dat file in the ProgramData\Fantasy Grounds\Vault directory, and if I make a copy and open it as a .zip I can find all the filenames for the images I want to manipulate - except they're all password locked when I try to open or copy them. Is there a specific pw to use? I've tried both my FG login password and my Steam password in case it was tied to either account, but no luck.

Hi fatherdagon welcome to FG and to the community.

They are password protected for a reason - you don't get to edit them. They are all copyright protected assets.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Welcome to the forums!

You can't access these. They are deliberately encrypted to stop access.

Your only only option for maps/images is to take a screenshot and save that as an image.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    As others have stated, this is by design. You could possibly screenshot them as you go. If it is just the area map, that might be available from WOTC directly. I know they gave away a bunch of maps as part of the build up and hype prior to release. It will be a subset of the full images within the module, but it's possible that one is one that is available in an unencrypted state.

Its worth noting that this has nothing to do with copyright directly. Copyright allows you to translate any material you have bought into another form for your own use.
    Its called "space shifting" and is discussed in this brief from the US Patent office (which also administers copyright registration).
    https://www.copyright.gov/1201/2011/..._knowledge.pdf

HOWEVER in the US we have an additional abortion of a law called the DMCA. Once encrypted, the DMCA makes it a crime to break the encryption. SO really, this is an end run by WOTC around your right to place shift.

You could add additional pins to the players version of the map, linked to story entries with the name and description. Then just share the pin when they discover the area.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyberqat View Post
    Its worth noting that this has nothing to do with copyright directly. Copyright allows you to translate any material you have bought into another form for your own use.
    Its called "space shifting" and is discussed in this brief from the US Patent office (which also administers copyright registration).
    https://www.copyright.gov/1201/2011/..._knowledge.pdf

HOWEVER in the US we have an additional abortion of a law called the DMCA. Once encrypted, the DMCA makes it a crime to break the encryption. SO really, this is an end run by WOTC around your right to place shift.
    The article you inked is merely a submission - it has no legal weight or bearing.
    It is legal to format shift material for your own personal non commercial use that you have legally acquired.
    It is also legal to apply technological measures that make format shifting more difficult.
    These modules have been encrypted pre-DMCA.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    These modules were created prior to 1998?

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    The article you inked is merely a submission - it has no legal weight or bearing.
    It is legal to format shift material for your own personal non commercial use that you have legally acquired.
    It is also legal to apply technological measures that make format shifting more difficult.
    yes, but it is ALSO legal to break those counter-measures, it turns out, for the purposes of legal space-shifting.

And thats the real issue.

Thread Information