DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 9 of 13 First ... 7891011 ... Last
    Thanks - I'll go visit the Tavern and find it.
    Patrick

Ultimate License Holder
    Currently Running (rotating home campaigns): Hobgoblins, Orcs, and Kobolds, Oh My! (5E), The Enemy Within (WFRP)
    Currently Playing: Castle Zagyg (Labyrinth Lord), The Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun (AD&D)

Status: still working on it little by little. Adult responsibilities have been interfering with the fun stuff.
    Patrick

Ultimate License Holder
    Currently Running (rotating home campaigns): Hobgoblins, Orcs, and Kobolds, Oh My! (5E), The Enemy Within (WFRP)
    Currently Playing: Castle Zagyg (Labyrinth Lord), The Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun (AD&D)

No pressure. Any idea if the project gets done in time for the kickstarter to be delivered? Not that it really matters. Just checking.
    Ultimate License Holder GM

Games currently Playing: AD&D, DCC RPG and D&D 5e

Finished Projects: AD&D Ruleset
    New School NPC Maker 5E
    New School NPC Maker PFRPG - 3.5E
    Old School NPC Maker

Current Projects:

1) Adventure Module.
    2) Maintaining and improving released projects.
    3) C.O.O.L. Beasts
    4) Basic Fantasy Ruleset
    5) Metamorphosis Alpha Ruleset

Quote Originally Posted by vodokar View Post
    No pressure. Any idea if the project gets done in time for the kickstarter to be delivered? Not that it really matters. Just checking.
    I'm shooting for that January 2017 to coincide with the estimated delivery date of the Kickstarter. I really want to have it done by then to help drive interest coming off the delivery of all the great stuff that ships with the S&W 3rd printing.
    Patrick

Ultimate License Holder

I prefer AD&D 2nd Edition my self.....

I'm really interested into old school packages, and i would buy a becmi/ad&D/ad&D 2ed ruleset for sure.
    Anyway, i'm a bit of a purist, so imo retroclones aren't the real thing, just clones.
    Nice, playable, streamlined, free.. CLONES.
    It's like saying "yeah I'm a real hardcore gamer..but not too much, and only for the pieces I like".
    Last edited by Asterionaisien; November 27th, 2016 at 10:08.

Quote Originally Posted by Zhern View Post
    Thanks - I'll go visit the Tavern and find it.
    It's and older post, so by now you probably found it, but I was not able to access swordsa dwizardry.com due to being down. Found another pdt/doc but not being on the know, I haven't a clue if the changes her refers to are "canon. or not.

But if you or others still need the pdt/doc vs pdf, try: https://www.highprogrammer.com/alan/...-and-wizardry/

I sprung for the art version of the Complete version for an entire $5.00, I think it was, on RPG Drive Thru. Liked what I saw, so then I backed the kickstarter for a hardcopy of the 2nd edition. IMHO, the Complete version is the way to go, as it's darn close to being a very unique spin on AD&D at that point.

But, White Box is good if your into original D&D like it was played back in 74 and due to it's lightweight and streamlined rules, it's been the basis for any number of games based on it in various genres.

I would have to disagree with the comment about clones, by manner of definition. The only true retro-clones out there are OSRIC and Labrynth Lord at this point.

None of the major games out there are actually retro-clones. Castles and Crusades definitely isn't, I can assure you of that -- if it had been, it wouldn't have taken me so many hundreds of hours trying to re-wire it to play AD&D. DCC RPG is not, so much so, that Leo wrote his ruleset from scratch on top of Core, rather than using any other existing ruleset out there that was supposedly a clone or even the original, for that matter. Astonishing Swords and Sorcerers of Hyperborea is similar to AD&D, but also has some very unique qualities about it. Swords and Wizardry can't really be considered a retro-clone anymore, as it has really distinguished itself in having unique enough properties and feel to it that it is a different game than what it was inspired from. Those 6 I mentioned are the 6 top supported, popular and played OSR games out there and only 2 of them actually are even close to being "retro-clones", and even that is debateable regarding Labrynth Lord at this point also.

To be sure, there are a bunch of uninspired nonsense out there that we haven't mentioned, but that doesn't mean that there aren't some gems worth playing. It won't and shouldn't replace your favorite game, whether that is 1e, BCMI, 2e or whatever, but that doesn't mean there isn't room for innovation and doing things differently.
    Last edited by vodokar; December 2nd, 2016 at 07:20.
    Ultimate License Holder GM

Games currently Playing: AD&D, DCC RPG and D&D 5e

Finished Projects: AD&D Ruleset
    New School NPC Maker 5E
    New School NPC Maker PFRPG - 3.5E
    Old School NPC Maker

Current Projects:

1) Adventure Module.
    2) Maintaining and improving released projects.
    3) C.O.O.L. Beasts
    4) Basic Fantasy Ruleset
    5) Metamorphosis Alpha Ruleset

Blog Entries
    Im thinking your definition of retro clone might be your definition of retro clone.
    Despite the differences some of the games you mention share at least 90% of their DNA with the earlier/original versions and my definition of retro clone includes some of them

leozeligs ruleset was actually built on the 3.5e ruleset

Quote Originally Posted by Varsuuk View Post
    It's and older post, so by now you probably found it, but I was not able to access swordsa dwizardry.com due to being down. Found another pdt/doc but not being on the know, I haven't a clue if the changes her refers to are "canon. or not.

But if you or others still need the pdt/doc vs pdf, try: https://www.highprogrammer.com/alan/...-and-wizardry/
    The PDF for Swords & Wizardry Complete is free from Frog God Games. Because of an unlocked stretch goal in an early Kickstarter it will always remain free. The same goes for the Core Rules.

Swords & Wizardry Complete

And I'm inclined to agree with vodokar and damned about retroclones.
    Patrick

Ultimate License Holder

Thread Information