STAR TREK 2d20
Page 4 of 13 First ... 23456 ... Last
    Ok. I think I am ready to lay down some design goals.

First, it will be AD&D 1st edition, as authentic feeling as I can make it.

1) PC's will use Descending AC and Thac0 on the character sheet.

These numbers in the character sheet will be auto-transformed under the hood into Ascending AC and BTH so the value can be passed to the existing success detection code, but as far as the player is concerned, they will have their old school system.

2) NPC Sheet will have boxes for AC and and To hit value with a checkbox next to it to toggle whether the values mean Descending and Thac0 or Ascending and BTH.

Default will be toggled off. If it is toggled off, it will use the values as is, treating it as Ascending and BTH and simply pass it to the existing success detection code. If it is toggled on, it will treat the data as Desc and Thac0 and do the math to convert it under the hood and then pass it to the success detection code. This will be able to be set individually for each pc sheet.

This allows for both using the C&C Beastiary entries as is, without the need for any conversion, as well as, ease of DM entering data manually from old or OSR modules without the need for conversion.

3) PC's will utilize the 5 save system based on class and level

If I can accomplish those three things, we'll be most of the way there, I think.
    Ultimate License Holder GM

Games currently Playing: AD&D, DCC RPG and D&D 5e

Finished Projects: AD&D Ruleset
    New School NPC Maker 5E
    New School NPC Maker PFRPG - 3.5E
    Old School NPC Maker

Current Projects:

1) Adventure Module.
    2) Maintaining and improving released projects.
    3) C.O.O.L. Beasts
    4) Basic Fantasy Ruleset
    5) Metamorphosis Alpha Ruleset

Quote Originally Posted by vodokar View Post
    If I can accomplish those three things, we'll be most of the way there, I think.
    Awesome. I think you will be.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I'm sure I'll need lot's of help along the way. I'm not planning to start immediately. Still working on some stuff for my campaign. But, it is a high priority for me and likely will start in the next 2 - 4 weeks. I love challenging projects, just hope I haven't bit off more than I can chew.

The thing that is most exciting for me is when I see all of the new material coming out from the OSR for D&D and AD&D. I've heard that there has actually been more adventure modules published in the last few years than everything that TSR ever produced. So, that is what is motivating me. I gots to play.
    Ultimate License Holder GM

Games currently Playing: AD&D, DCC RPG and D&D 5e

Finished Projects: AD&D Ruleset
    New School NPC Maker 5E
    New School NPC Maker PFRPG - 3.5E
    Old School NPC Maker

Current Projects:

1) Adventure Module.
    2) Maintaining and improving released projects.
    3) C.O.O.L. Beasts
    4) Basic Fantasy Ruleset
    5) Metamorphosis Alpha Ruleset

I would definitely be interested in watching your progress. I'll be posting mine too, especially when I stumble upon impediments or have questions or anything that might be helpful. I was thinking about where to start also and I'm likely going to put together the S&W rules modules together first so that they can be used with the coreRPG set. After that, I'll start working on the ruleset extension - I need to do some analysis on existing extensions and read through the notes in the development wiki, through all the great info Trenloe has posted, and take a look at LUA since I've never used it. I'll layout a task list after that and work from that (haha, I could write user stories and use my wall as a kanban board...kidding...)

Thoughts? Different approach suggestions?
    Patrick

Ultimate License Holder
    Currently Running (rotating home campaigns): Hobgoblins, Orcs, and Kobolds, Oh My! (5E), The Enemy Within (WFRP)
    Currently Playing: Castle Zagyg (Labyrinth Lord), The Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun (AD&D)

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Create a layered ruleset - look at the 3.5e ruleset as a guide.
    Dont create it as an extension.
    Ah, thank you - that was what I was intending to say. A layered ruleset. I do plan on using the 3.5 ruleset as a guide.

I'll have to add "get the terminology correct" as #1 on my to do list, hehe.
    Patrick

Ultimate License Holder
    Currently Running (rotating home campaigns): Hobgoblins, Orcs, and Kobolds, Oh My! (5E), The Enemy Within (WFRP)
    Currently Playing: Castle Zagyg (Labyrinth Lord), The Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun (AD&D)

Blog Entries
    Good luck with your work.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

If it's actually AD&D, I would certainly have use for it. These days I kind of prefer 5e for my own games, but when I play face to face games it's pretty much always 1e and the same campaign I've been playing since the 80s. Since FG is pretty awesome as a campaign manager, a 1e ruleset would definitely be useful.

Question for Trenloe & damned - I started looking through the 3.5 ruleset, both in FG and under the hood. I noticed it doesn't support drag and drop and auto-populate from modules to fill out the character sheet, etc. The 5E stuff does - is this by design? Ideally I would like the S&W layered ruleset to support that functionality but want to make sure it is okay to do so before I dig too much into it.

Thanks!
    Patrick

Ultimate License Holder

Thread Information