5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 6 123 ... Last

Mixed Up Character Data?

Hello,

I'm new to FG and everything involved so I'm hoping I'm just ignorant and misunderstand how this is supposed to work.

So I literally found FG a couple of weeks ago and I played my first couple of AL games. The little bits that I managed to glean for AL and FG are:

1-I need to have documentation in as many places as possible, AL Tools, PDF, FG, etc. which is fine.
    2-I learned that I need to keep better notes, etc.

So what I was trying to do was "rebuild" a character with cleaner notes, etc. but it looks like I'm getting mixed up data.

In manage characters (which I understand to my local machine)
    I start with the character I was playing. Call her Analee.
    I bring up the Half-Elf Bard from WOTC or the FB that I found that was the original template still called Half-Elf Bard.
    I copy/drag/re-type all of my notes/logs, inventory and from Analee to Half-Elf Bard.
    I now delete Analee.
    I now finish off by changing the name of Half-Elf Bard -> Analee
    Well, I'm still seeing mixed up information. Mixed up information as in inventory stuff that was probably from another version of Analee or the previous one where I was trying to clean out the data.

So my questions:

1-What is the proper way to rebuild a clean character with all of my notes? AL doesn't allow me to rename the characters and I'm not sure how FG merges or confuses the data for me.
    2-Is this a reasonable way to do it? Am I doing something fundamentally wrong?

Thanks!

Sounds like an issue with the FG in memory database getting confused with two sets of data with the same name.

I'd recommend that within a session of Manage Characters you don't use the same character name - e.g. build the new character as "Analee v2" or something. The name that FG is the PC label, I'm sure it's not an issue with AL as long as the base character name is first, and prefixes are obviously version tracking.

It might also be related to this issue (which is fixed in v3.2 - released sometime soon) but you would have seen the issue when you created the new character not after: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...age-Characters
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

And welcome to the FG forums!
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Sounds like an issue with the FG in memory database getting confused with two sets of data with the same name.

I'd recommend that within a session of Manage Characters you don't use the same character name - e.g. build the new character as "Analee v2" or something. The name that FG is the PC label, I'm sure it's not an issue with AL as long as the base character name is first, and prefixes are obviously version tracking.

It might also be related to this issue (which is fixed in v3.2 - released sometime soon) but you would have seen the issue when you created the new character not after: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...age-Characters
    Thanks for the welcome!

So when you mention "with a session" I dont use the same character name. Would a valid workaround have been for me to copy everything, delete Analee. Exit FG completely, THEN come back and rename Half Elf Bard to Analee?

The issue you've mentioned I may have seen as well where it overwrote or duplicated stuff and I may have tripped upon it unknowingly in other scenarios as well since it sounds vaguely familar now but didn't realize it.

Quote Originally Posted by Belgaleen View Post
    So when you mention "with a session" I dont use the same character name. Would a valid workaround have been for me to copy everything, delete Analee. Exit FG completely, THEN come back and rename Half Elf Bard to Analee?
    Yep.

I hope that would work around the issue anyway...

Blog Entries
    Also - I would try to drag stuff from teh source books into A2 rather than from A1 to A2.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Also - I would try to drag stuff from teh source books into A2 rather than from A1 to A2.
    Unfortunately, these are story awards/log stuff that I didn't purchase. So I assume I do not have the source.

Is there a way to actually copy/paste stuff to/from FG like into my OneNote notes? I haven't been able to figure out how to do that. If I could copy it to my normal notes, might be easier to rebuild my logs.

The other area where I guess I'm tripping it up is because I'm new to all of this, FG, AL and 5e. I'm allowed to "rebuild" the character before it hits level 5 so alot of the data is all manual drops anyway so it seems like it would be easier to start a new one and repeat the process. Maybe y'all need some sort of "undo" where if I replace one background for another, you also take the associated equipment, skills and features from the other one prior to adding. For example, I changed from Elf to Half-Elf, it should have taken away the Elf only skills but it didn't. Just added it again. Or at least thats where I think I got duplicate Fey Ancestry stuff.

Is there a way to actually copy/paste stuff to/from FG like into my OneNote notes? I haven't been able to figure out how to do that. If I could copy it to my normal notes, might be easier to rebuild my logs.
    Some of the entries will allow copying - highlight in FG and use CTRL+C.

The other area where I guess I'm tripping it up is because I'm new to all of this, FG, AL and 5e. I'm allowed to "rebuild" the character before it hits level 5 so alot of the data is all manual drops anyway so it seems like it would be easier to start a new one and repeat the process. Maybe y'all need some sort of "undo" where if I replace one background for another, you also take the associated equipment, skills and features from the other one prior to adding. For example, I changed from Elf to Half-Elf, it should have taken away the Elf only skills but it didn't. Just added it again. Or at least thats where I think I got duplicate Fey Ancestry stuff.
    There is no undo button and so if you do something like change your race or class then whatever you add will be added to existing date and you'll have to manually delete the stuff you no longer have. If you want to change something like that then it would be better to start afresh and that way you won't be getting too many lines crossed.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

I am on 3.2.1 and I am STILL having problems with mixed up data. I have tried to NOT to import or export characters that I have.

When I export a character to a file.
    I delete the character.
    I close FG.
    I open FG.
    I import the character.

Character has mixed up data.

What EXACTLY is the right way to import/export characters?

This is VERY frustrating.

Thread Information