STAR TREK 2d20
Page 7 of 17 First ... 56789 ... Last
    Not sure if this extension is being updated or not, but we use it in my game. One of the players now has adamantine armour which ignores criticals. When I actually rolled a critical hit, your extension still rolled the improved critical dice, it applied maximum on the damage dice but the extra dice was ignored. I was expecting it to just roll normal damage, i.e. random on the damage die not maximum. Is this how it should roll?

I hope this makes sense.

Blog Entries
    I believe this extension now has an option to set which die are maximized. If you switch it, then I think you will get desired behavior.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Yeah, I think if you set it to "Max Crit Dice" you'll get the effect you desire since then, the damage dice would be rolled, and the crit dice would be maxxed, but your armor would cause the crit dice to be ignored, so it wouldn't matter. The downside to this is that in the case of characters that get extra crit dice, those would get maxxed. Like if a PC or NPC had the brutal critical ability with a longsword, the damage would be d8+8+8 (17-24) instead of 8+d8+d8 (10-24).

Hey spoonhead!

This extension has a couple of options:

1) Improved Critical:Include Effect Dice (On | Off)
    2) Improved Critical:Control (Max Damage Dice | Max Crit Dice | Max Both | Off)

If Improved Critical:Include Effect Dice = "On", when a critical is rolled (and Improved Critical:Control is not "Off"), any effect dice are also included in the maximizing (i.e. sneak attack damage), otherwise, they are rolled normally.

If Improved Critical:Control = "Off" then my extension is disabled and critical rolls are done per FantasyGrounds built-in handler.

If Improved Critical:Control = Max Damage Dice, when a critical is rolled, the "normal damage" dice are maximized and the "critical damage" dice are rolled.

If Improved Critical:Control = Max Crit Dice, when a critical is rolled, the "critical damage" dice are maximized and the "normal damage" dice are rolled.

If Improved Critical:Control = Max Both, when a critical is rolled, both the "normal damage" dice and the "critical damage" dice are maximized.

I added this pretty far into the resolving damage process so that I could just modify the already rolled damages depending on the options set. It doesn't know anything about the target. I may have to figure something out for this case, but a workaround is to look at the output in the chat window - it will tell you what was overridden and the value that was replaced. You could manually restore the "max damage" done and then subtract the original damage.

Thanks for using the extension!
    Last edited by TheoGeek; October 30th, 2019 at 04:18.

Thanks for the replies. I will try out and see what is best.

I also thought of another potential problem when casting Chaos Bolt spell, in that if you roll doubles on the d8s you get to attack another creature within 30ft, however the critical dice would be dobles automatically. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by spoonhead View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I will try out and see what is best.

I also thought of another potential problem when casting Chaos Bolt spell, in that if you roll doubles on the d8s you get to attack another creature within 30ft, however the critical dice would be dobles automatically. Any ideas?
    Yeah, by definition, when using this extension, damage is maxxed, so the rolls are also maxxed. You'll need to find out a different way to roll damage. For example, at our table, people love rolling physical die, so I always have the manual roll setting turned on, and use it often.

Would it be possible to call this extension from a crit table?

I'd like to do a crit table like:

1 - 12 Normal crit
    13 - 19 Improved crit (Max damage dice)
    20 - 20 Improved crit (Max both)

That sounds like a sweet idea, but I don't think tables work that way. You could do a crit table that would tell you to change a setting, but I don't think you can apply effects like that programatically.

Anyone got any info on this?

Unfortunately this is the most up-to-date info I was able to find, and it's from 2012.....

Looks like tables can't output to or affect the manager_action_damage.lua without an extension so as far as I can tell the only way to do it would be to have the crit table just output the number rolled, parse that in a state machine inside the extension (not the table, thus making the table redundant but it'll keep players in the loop as to what happened) and then roll the crit damage based on the state machine. Not too difficult but that puts a lot more on you than I was hoping it would.

OK...updating this extension. I'll repost here when it's debugged. It's close.

This update is mainly to address the case where the target has the "IMMUNE: critical" effect.

Options Menu Items:
    - Improved Critical: Control = [Off | Max Damage Dice | Max Crit Dice | Max Both] (default = Max Damage Dice)
    - Improved Critical: Include Effect Dice = [On | Off] (default = On)
    - Improved Critical: Roll if Immune = [On | Off] (default = Off)

In a nutshell:

- "Control"
    pretty self explanatory

- "Include Effect Dice"
    Only takes effect if "Control" is not off and maxxes the effect die per the control setting (damage, critical, both)

- "Roll if Immune"
    This will cause the Damage die to be rolled instead of maxxed if the target has the "IMMUNE: critical" effect.

I also changed the output to be more consistent with other things that override rolls (like REROLL). The output will include this:

"[IMPROVED CRITICAL D1=5,D2=4]"

if the first two dice were rerolled. You'll see the maxxed values in the dice graphics that are displayed. I can add a "verbose" option if a more verbose output is desired.

It would take a lot of thinking to get the "Chaos Bolt" type damages working. In the meantime, I'd suggest remembering to disable this extension prior to casting that spell because maxxing its damage will break it no matter what.

====

EDIT: I figured out a workaround for the "Chaos Bolt" thing. I just bypass the Improved Critical extension entirely when the damage is from that spell (i.e. it rolls damage for a critical hit as if my extension were not loaded).

I'll test it more tomorrow and upload it soon afterwards!
    Last edited by TheoGeek; November 20th, 2019 at 04:17.

Thread Information