5E Character Create Playlist

Thread: Token Facing

Blog Entries

Token Facing

It would be nice if players could still change the facing of their tokens on a map once the DM has locked the tokens.

Currently this can only be done with unlocked tokens - the players loose the ability to change facing when they are locked. This is a bit of a PITA because then the DM has to do it all the time.

Not sure if this would be a "big" change programming wise.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

The reason why facing changes are locked is the same reason why movement is locked - so players cannot change these settings.

Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    Yeah I added my vote. This is something that pretty well every session I DM I say to myself and players "I wish you could do this yourselves" and I finally took the time to post it, and vote.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

I don't allow my players to change their facing when they're not allowed to move. This way I know whether an attack is flanking or from behind, and the players can't "cheat" by changing their facing every time a new foe gets their initiative. When a player attacks a foe, I change their token facing to the foe they just attacked, and it can't be changed until it's again their turn to do something. When they're not in combat, I unlock the tokens and the players are free to move the tokens and change their facing at will.

Slovakia (+1 GMT) after March 29 due to Summer time (+2 GMT)
    Blog Entries
    maybe it could have been same as accept move turn? When player move to final destination can rotate token change facing direction and GM permit both actions at once (movement and token facing)? Anyway I will vote. because it is good idea.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andraax View Post
    I don't allow my players to change their facing when they're not allowed to move. This way I know whether an attack is flanking or from behind, and the players can't "cheat" by changing their facing every time a new foe gets their initiative. When a player attacks a foe, I change their token facing to the foe they just attacked, and it can't be changed until it's again their turn to do something. When they're not in combat, I unlock the tokens and the players are free to move the tokens and change their facing at will.
    I would care for this by only having the ability to change facing active while the character is the active individual on the combat tracker.

- John Diefenbaker

Quote Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
    I would care for this by only having the ability to change facing active while the character is the active individual on the combat tracker.
    Might as well just let them move their tokens by themselves as well...

Blog Entries
    Indeed. The next time I have an idea I'll just tell myself I can continue to use FG as it currently exists and not bother.

- John Diefenbaker

I just don't see the point. If the tokens are locked, then the GM has to interact with them to make changes anyway. You're turning it into a system where the GM has to accept the move, then remind the player to set their facing (because my players would not bother to do so). It's become automatic for me - I look at the proposed path, and if it's acceptable, I hover over the token, spin the wheel until the facing is correct for where the token will end up, then click the wheel to accept the move. It's pretty intuitive.

Thread Information