DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread: Shadow world

Quote Originally Posted by Majyk View Post
    Agreed.
    After picking up the RM2 red box set, my high school pay cheques ended up going to TKAmthor and I bought up every book from Shadow World as it came out, hot off the presses back then.
    It, too, captured my imagination and I would flip the book over to look for the Kulthean atlas map elipses that would show one where exactly that particular adventure/setting module took place. It was in direct competition with the Forgotten Realms but was just for us RM - not Personal Computer! - “Master Race” folks.

My favourite locale was anything on Jaiman due to the sweeping artifact saga adventures that were detailed on that continent, but so much of what drew me in was the massive history a la ICE’s MERP line. However, magic was way more prevalent than campfire lighting spells! Of all the areas detailed in SW, the Western half of the continent was the place to be and I made sure, Norek/Jaiman/Silver Mist and other books were all used to create a massive campaign that took my players from 1st thru 16th level.
    No other campaign got close to the staying power that my SW campaign took my players through.

A definite vote on getting your hands on every book one can, if available, just for the history and ever updated timelines.
    That said, new content vs remaking old books 4 different times is my only gripe on lost time with SW as ICE went through so many revisions of their ruleset(not really, but enough to force book reprints).

Cheers and good luck with FG AND RM(with SW!).
    Thanks for your experience it that game world. It sounds like the game world was as rich as I imagined it would be when I was reading the source material. Lankmar for D&D seems to be another of those settings that no one tries, but is so amazingly well designed and rich in material that it almost seems a gaming sin that more people aren't trying it. My favorite source book, though not a campaign for RMSS was the "underground races". I loved the way that book detailed the underground races. I still remember breaking out an "undrowned Dwarf" character background from that source book in a D&D (think 3.5) group. The GM and the whole group thought I was such a great role player, until I told them where I got it from. Then there was my thief in that same group , different adventure that couldn't open any locks or traps as the difficulty was too hard. So I bought a 10' pole and broke all of the GM's traps. Then I used the pole and some rope to capture someone so we could safely carry them to turn them in. You know, one warrior holding one end of the pole, and the prisoner tied to the pole. So the GM got tired of my 10' pole (which he actually mocked me for buying). He started breaking my poles on every encounter. So the group would buy me some. It became standard gear for everyone in the group. When they asked me where I got the idea from. I told them, I used to buy my stuff in RM from a book that literally was called ….And a 10' pole.

My RMSS GM's alternated campaigns. So we were extremely lucky as most campaigns went to about level 18-20. As the GM's seemed to be thinking of new ideas and itching to run a new game in their campaign, as they played ours. Which gave us alternating campaigns. One was very gritty and you barely earned enough to survive. The other was much more high powered and between the two it kept the group happily playing for many years.

Blog Entries
    Man I'd love to play RM again.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Quote Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
    Man I'd love to play RM again.
    It’s an early Monday morning session, but PM Ardem as we’re looking to add a player for his RMFRP/Echoes of Heaven campaign(currently using a Pathfinder Hell’s Rebels adventure path).

Quote Originally Posted by Whatever@# View Post
    Thanks for your experience it that game world. It sounds like the game world was as rich as I imagined it would be when I was reading the source material. Lankmar for D&D seems to be another of those settings that no one tries, but is so amazingly well designed and rich in material that it almost seems a gaming sin that more people aren't trying it.
    The Lankmar novels are older and many new players have simply never heard of them. Which is a shame, they are good books and the setting has influenced a great deal of fantasy that came after. Notably, if you weren't aware, the diskworld books are famously inspired by Lankmar.

Quote Originally Posted by Majyk View Post
    After picking up the RM2 red box set, my high school pay cheques ended up going to TKAmthor and I bought up every book from Shadow World as it came out, hot off the presses back then.
    To this day TK Amthor is my favorite game developer/worldbuilder. I sometimes joke that I am the TKA fan club (because RM is such a small community so most people have no idea who he is).

My favourite locale was anything on Jaiman due to the sweeping artifact saga adventures that were detailed on that continent, but so much of what drew me in was the massive history a la ICE’s MERP line.
    Uronthis Kalthul "The Claw of the Dragon": Best. Fortress. Ever.

I would like to see Shadow World modules available in FG, I use some races in my home-brew world

Shadow World: Tales of the Green Gryphon Inn(https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store...d=GCPSW1006FG2) was converted to FG but that is an adventure module and won't contain the races.

Thread Information