DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Shadow world

Shadow world

I am new to the Shadow World RPG system and would like to ask what are the best books I should read too learn more about this system.

Shadow World is a campaign setting for the Rolemaster gaming system. Rolemaster has gone through several revisions, but I believe the system used in this setting is Rolemaster classing. You can go to sites like RPG Now and get pdf's of the rule books for a reasonable price. Character Law is the guide for character creation, Arm's Law is the combat book, and there a bunch of other supplements to expand on the base rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Greylorn View Post
    Shadow World is a campaign setting for the Rolemaster gaming system. Rolemaster has gone through several revisions, but I believe the system used in this setting is Rolemaster classing. You can go to sites like RPG Now and get pdf's of the rule books for a reasonable price. Character Law is the guide for character creation, Arm's Law is the combat book, and there a bunch of other supplements to expand on the base rules.
    Actually it is for both Rolemaster Classic and Rolemaster FRP these days. The last edition of Shadow World Master Atlas and modules after that have support for all the existing editions of Rolemaster. I think that will change when the new Rolemaster edition is released but that they are taking their time with it (which necessarily isn't a bad thing) but everyone can get the playtest files and join in on the play testing of the new Rolemaster Unified.

You can read up on Rolemaster and Shadow World on the ICE homepage.
    Last edited by Chorpa; September 19th, 2016 at 22:02.

Only thing I do not like about Shadowworld it is far from complete, the world could of used some more books

Just wait a while, Terry is still writing them... :-)

In the meantime, here is his website.

Blog Entries
    Product is still being produced... s..l..o..w..l..y...
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Thanks guys for all the info, I will start with the Rolemaster Classic books and take it from there.

Andraax, I do know but if you played Rolemaster as long as I have, which I am sure you have. I been waiting for a decent offical rolemaster world since the 90's, I am sure it was the 80's for ofthers.

I bought a Shadow world box set off of Ebay a while back as I was hoping to get one of my RM GM's to try running a Shadow World campaign. Don't get me wrong they ran great worlds. Sadly they never even looked at the material.
    However, I was impressed with everything it came with. It had several books, explaining the world setting. Maps and was a very nice boxed set, especially compared to any other adventure modules or sets I ever got for RM.

It certainly seemed unique. I mean you had a mix of stone age peoples with space age technology peoples. Which seemed great to me, as RM has the flexibility to run any type of campaign. The Shadow World set seemed to give you a world setting that really would allow a group to showcase the RM flexibility. And the whole "magic wind" (forgetting the name), that those ships flew on was very interesting. Also I think one of the race creation books for RMSS with the winged men race was taken from Shadow world. I was even shocked that the Shadow World seemed to have a people called Sarnaks, which seemed to make it into the Everquest MMO, but apparently were in the Shadow World way before EQ was a thing. It seemed to me that Shadow World in the hands of a creative GM could be amazing. Even though I'm generally only interested in medieval campaigns.

If you can pick that boxed set up, I would order it. I got it when the Lord of the rings movie trilogy came out.
    For the RM system it seemed top notched. Although everyone that seemed to be selling them came from the UK, and they asked fair prices. Though getting their mail to deliver to the U.S. adds a bit to the price.

I also got an ICE version of Moria at that time. Since I love Dwarves it was fantastic, even though the source book had water damage. Some of the older ICE game sources are incredibly well done. I got a Viking source book, space age one and even an Egyptian source book. I am a RMSS fan, but some of the older source books from I.C.E. are very well done. IMO much better than most of the adventure "ideas" that the later I.C.E. adventure modules seem to push.

Agreed.
    After picking up the RM2 red box set, my high school pay cheques ended up going to TKAmthor and I bought up every book from Shadow World as it came out, hot off the presses back then.
    It, too, captured my imagination and I would flip the book over to look for the Kulthean atlas map elipses that would show one where exactly that particular adventure/setting module took place. It was in direct competition with the Forgotten Realms but was just for us RM - not Personal Computer! - “Master Race” folks.

My favourite locale was anything on Jaiman due to the sweeping artifact saga adventures that were detailed on that continent, but so much of what drew me in was the massive history a la ICE’s MERP line. However, magic was way more prevalent than campfire lighting spells! Of all the areas detailed in SW, the Western half of the continent was the place to be and I made sure, Norek/Jaiman/Silver Mist and other books were all used to create a massive campaign that took my players from 1st thru 16th level.
    No other campaign got close to the staying power that my SW campaign took my players through.

A definite vote on getting your hands on every book one can, if available, just for the history and ever updated timelines.
    That said, new content vs remaking old books 4 different times is my only gripe on lost time with SW as ICE went through so many revisions of their ruleset(not really, but enough to force book reprints).

Cheers and good luck with FG AND RM(with SW!).

Thread Information