DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Do not worry. Character #3 is a dirty, conniving sneak thief and he has already come into possession of a number of items that the rest of the party are unaware of.
    That's just nasty! I did not steal anything! I told you, I have no idea how they got in my backpack!

I agree with the other GMs here - this is something for the players/characters to agree on. Having said that, the policy adopted by the groups I regulalry play with is pretty straighforward (and very similar to what you've described). All loot is divided evenly among the PCs, with an additional share going to the party "kitty" - the latter is used to buy supplies for group use, as needed (and agreed). The exception to this is any item that can be used by a character in the party - in this case, a PC can claim the item, and it is not sold. However, the item only belongs to the character while it is being used. If the PC ever wants to dipsose of the item (perhaps because the party has recovered a better item in a later stash of loot), it goes back into the party pool, and is sold, with the proceeds being split among the group.

Thanks!

I am delighted with the number of you who took the time to reply, and your insights and (humor) comments are a great relief to me. If it is accepted that the 12 of you who have already replied represent a broad view of the D&D Culture (Does Australia to Canada count as broad?) then I am not so lost culturally as accused.
    I found it delightfully motivating that most of you posted from the DM's point of view. I had not stipulated in my original post - how the event came about. To my GM's credit, he like most of you, had stated at the beginning of the game that division of treasures would be up-to-us -players. Interestingly enough, the conversation in which, I was describe as out of date with the current culture, occurred 24+ hours after the game. So again to my GM's credit he is quite annoyed with us for not bringing our disagreement to him.
    I did recently (can't resist a sale) upgrade my membership and purchased the DM book. Though I am not yet ready to jump back into that role, - given the years of absences and this new-fangled technology. I will be using what I have read and learned here when I do.

Dulux-oz: I am openly stealing your method, for my future campaigns.

Mellock: Your group and your fighter seem delightful, I hope you know how fortunate you are to have a truly cooperative group.

Black Hammer: Thanks, and now I know to avoid Potion of Hide from Animals - unless I am the GM, then it sounds like a delightfully wicked 'gift'.

LordEntrails: Your list suggestion, seems quite effective and yet quite simple. Should I ever have the good fortune to be playing in another game I shall suggest that method at the start. (Provided it is up-to-us-players)

Kevdog45: Back in the Late '70's and early 80's did you play D&D in a North Central Florida city? -cause, your description, completely matches one of the one's I gave as an example of the variety of things that could be done to divide the treasure.

JohnD: I like your style. Avoid that early game desperation by seeding a few things early. The Group in which we players, have been less than able to come together, is caster heavy. So we each have at least one component of value that we believe would benefit the group, but for which none can afford.

Ianmward: Thanks, I have been trying to think of a comeback for Damned, but I see you have already posted it.

Damned: Thanks, your humor helped more than you can imagine.

Callum: You described one of the methods I had given as an example too. It can in a group that is concerned that some are taking more than others, not always work. But, in a group that is open and working together well, it is one of the better methods -IMHO. Thanks!
    Kitty

I've elaborated further on my method in this blog - enjoy

Cheers
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10
    LinkedIn Profile: www.linkedin.com/in/mjblack

Watch our games on Twitch: www.twitch.tv/dulux_oz

Support Me on Patreon: www.patreon.com/duluxoz

Past Games, etc, on my YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/c/duluxoz

I have a policy that I use when I'm playing in most of my games...First, I try to emphasize that it should always be "party first, individual second". In other words, everything should be done with the thoughts of the party in mind. Even the lowly thief needs to admit that having a well-appointed party to watch is back is advantageous during a campaign. With that in mind, and if the players request it, I share my "Loot Policy". Dulux-Oz has inspired me to share it with the community at large. I'm going to create a blog post for it and I'll come back later to link it here...but above all, I try to get the players to understand that they can play to their motivations while still keeping the party dynamic in mind.

All of this is offered only if requested by the party, of course. As DM, I try to stay completely hands-off regarding loot distribution unless I'm asked to provide a framework.
    Just wheelin' through life! -- CJ

Thread Information