5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Advice Needed: Messing up with Display Font Sizes

Last week I had installed the “Big Fonts” extension, made by Die Hard Gaming, and my players loved to have a bigger text. I also liked it, because it is very easier to read Story entries and things on the chat window.

But the fonts are too big on some places; for example, the Combat Tracker became a bit cramped, and it is hard to see all the information in there. So, following the advice received here, I messed up with the font sizes on the XML files.

While some changes were noticeable right away, I wasn’t able to figure out what some options changed, and some things did not change at all – at least, in a way I could perceive. So, I am curious: can someone tell me what each entry on the XML exactly refers to on the text (some are obviously plain, but others not), or can point me the direction to find it out?

If I can customize that with slightly smaller fonts, and/or change some fonts to create a “publication style” feeling using different, stronger or more clear fonts, different/bold font on titles, etc, that would be really great and, if HDG agree, I could even share it giving the credit.

I have a great collection of freeware fonts, available for personal and commercial use, some of which will fir very nicely on story entries titles. =)

Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Adding in additional fonts does add some memory overhead so dont get carried away
    You have permission to modify the extension if you like.
    You need to look in each ruleset and see where different font definitions are used. I dont believe there is any sort of master listing of them.
    You might find that if you want to get granular that you will have to make ruleset specific extensions as you might increase the size where one definition is used in one place but not another meaning you would have to extend that frame as well as the fonts...
    The fonts used in that are overly big as it was actually put together in response to a very specific request - someone was using /scaleui 80 so they are at least 20% too big

I doubt if anyone will take the time to give you a list. Your best approach is to do "find in files" in the ruleset/s (including CoreRPG) for <font and see which fonts are used where.
    info on the <font> component here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/refdoc/font.xcp
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Adding in additional fonts does add some memory overhead so dont get carried away
    OK, just dropping my embellishing dreams for the sake of memory management - after all, it is not a worthy exchange... lol

You have permission to modify the extension if you like.
    Thanks for the permission! As always, if something usable comes out of that, I will give credit. =)

You need to look in each ruleset and see where different font definitions are used. I dont believe there is any sort of master listing of them.
    Right, I will try to look on that.

You might find that if you want to get granular that you will have to make ruleset specific extensions as you might increase the size where one definition is used in one place but not another meaning you would have to extend that frame as well as the fonts...
    That never crossed my mind, and I don't think is worth the effort, unless I was creating a whole new ruleset and wished to give a distinctive feeling to it - what definitely I am not doing... lol
    A single file, rulset wide just like yours is what I am trying to achieve, but with smaller fonts here and there, and with section titles standing out a bit more than the regular text.

The fonts used in that are overly big as it was actually put together in response to a very specific request - someone was using /scaleui 80 so they are at least 20% too big
    I had imagined that there was a reason behind the larger fonts, but could not understand what - I was thinking it had something to do with screen size/resolution but never imagined it was because FG scale. Well, mystery solved

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    I doubt if anyone will take the time to give you a list. Your best approach is to do "find in files" in the ruleset/s (including CoreRPG) for <font and see which fonts are used where.
    info on the <font> component here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/refdoc/font.xcp
    Thanks, Trenloe. I will look on it.

Now, I just need to start crossing my fingers that my meager understanding about XML files will suffice... lol

Quote Originally Posted by Galach View Post
    But the fonts are too big on some places; for example, the Combat Tracker became a bit cramped, and it is hard to see all the information in there. So, following the advice received here, I messed up with the font sizes on the XML files.
    Hi, same issue here, have you found how to change the size, specifically, of the combat tracker fonts?
    If you, please i will apprecciate if you could give some advice about it.
    Thank you very much!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Salva View Post
    Hi, same issue here, have you found how to change the size, specifically, of the combat tracker fonts?
    If you, please i will apprecciate if you could give some advice about it.
    Thank you very much!
    The only (easy) way to increase all the fonts without screwing up things like the Combat Tracker with the oodles of info on there is to use /scaleui
    Otherwise you will need to rewrite the whole CT in an extension and assign more space to the various elements so you can use bigger fonts.
    Then the CT will take up more room on your screen as well...

The only (easy) way to increase all the fonts without screwing up things like the Combat Tracker with the oodles of info on there is to use /scaleui
    Otherwise you will need to rewrite the whole CT in an extension and assign more space to the various elements so you can use bigger fonts.
    Then the CT will take up more room on your screen as well...
    Oh ok

Hope to see in the next update an option to increase only font sizes of story or other reference info were there is a lot of info to read.
    Will be nice for the ones like us that r getting older

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Salva View Post
    Oh ok

Hope to see in the next update an option to increase only font sizes of story or other reference info were there is a lot of info to read.
    Will be nice for the ones like us that r getting older

Thanks
    coming from another set of aging eyes, being able to increase the font on story entries would be much appreciated. the /scaleui thing does the trick for me, but a more intuitive solution would be much preferred.

Quote Originally Posted by Stupid View Post
    coming from another set of aging eyes, being able to increase the font on story entries would be much appreciated.
    Welcome Stupid.

Try this extension: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l=1#post226590

Or, if you want the chat font increasing as well, this one: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l=1#post227570
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information