STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Fg + tv + tabletop + scaling maps?

Hi there,

So, in short; you want to use a TV at the tabletop. Just for map stuff. The Players are still using real 3D minis.

Is there an extension or something where you can send an instance of fantasy grounds to the TV, open a map in a new internal window and make it have the exact zoom so that the grid in digital representation meassures exactly 1 inch by 1 inch in real life?? Maybe this extension lets you input some of your TVs or Monitors specs or something so that it can scale it right?

Thanks

whiteTiki: Adventurers League Player
    Experience: 10 years; DM and Player
    Games: D&D, Pathfinder, World of Darkness

No, there isn't. You scale the map dynamically once you open it in FG. If you want a map that's big enough to cover your monitor then you'll have to scale it up to the size of your monitor and put a 1" grid on it using your favourite paint package. At least that's all I can think of but those that know more about these kind of things will be along shortly.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    It's actually all about the math.

What you have to do is start out with your monitor size and ratio to get the X & Y dimensions (see link). Then if you are using a HDTV and not a monitor, then you know you have 1920 x 1080 pixels. So once you do the division, you know how many pixels you have to make your map so that when you do it full screen you end up with one inch squares.

So.... a 37" 16:9 ratio HDTV is 18.1 x 32.2", or 1080px/18.1" = 59.7px/in (and to double check 1920px/32.2" = 59.6px/in)

So, if you scale your map at 60px/inch, which is 300px per 5ft square, you'll end up being able to display it at full resolution and have 1 inch squares on the display.

The biggest thing you will notice is that using a TV for mini's means you end up with relatively small battlemaps. So, a 37" TV yields a battle map of only 18x32 squares and a 60" TV gives a 29x52.

Another way to look at this is to reverse calculate the TV size for a typical resolution, 50px/square, map. 50px/sq is the same as 50px/in. So, if you are still using a standard HDTV (and not a 720 or a 4k), 1080px / 50px/in = 21.6" and 1920px / 50px/in = 38.4" and looking at the previously referenced link, that's a 44" TV.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

If you're using physical minis you don't need to open the map in FG. Just do targeting on a laptop using the Combat Tracker and have the TV display the full screen battlemap on it's own (2nd monitor from the laptop maybe? That way you can swap over to handouts and whatnot if needed.)

Quote Originally Posted by kylania View Post
    If you're using physical minis you don't need to open the map in FG.
    I could be wrong, but I think whiteTiki is talking about using physical minis on the actual map FG is showing on the TV - hence why he wants 1 inch on the map to be 1 inch in real life. Like this: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l=1#post286155
    Last edited by Trenloe; August 29th, 2016 at 17:11.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by whiteTiki View Post
    Is there an extension or something where you can send an instance of fantasy grounds to the TV, open a map in a new internal window and make it have the exact zoom so that the grid in digital representation meassures exactly 1 inch by 1 inch in real life?? Maybe this extension lets you input some of your TVs or Monitors specs or something so that it can scale it right?
    I'm not aware of anything like this, but it's an interesting idea (especially since I've now started using a TV laid flat on the table for games). I think most of the API calls needed by FG are available to do this. As you say, you'll have to input the TV's viewable size and resolution somewhere, and then FG could do the rest.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    I could be wrong, but I think whiteTiki is talking about using physical minis on the actual map FG is showing on the TV - hence why he wants 1 inch on the map to be 1 inch in real life. Like this: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l=1#post286155
    Yep. That's exactly what I meant. Using minis on top of the monitor or tv and using your tv/monitor as the battle grid

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    I'm not aware of anything like this, but it's an interesting idea (especially since I've now started using a TV laid flat on the table for games). I think most of the API calls needed by FG are available to do this. As you say, you'll have to input the TV's viewable size and resolution somewhere, and then FG could do the rest.
    Yep. I began with all this TV setup too a while ago. It really looks nice and players love it, sisnce you can play and battle with the real maps without having to print everything.
    I currently play in a regular tabletop. I know that FG is not intended initially for this kind of stuff. Its intended for a VTT not a regular TableTop, but Actually FG works great even when you are in a situation like this; my current setup is something like:
    1.- A good PC
    2.- 2 monitors and 1 TV for battle maps and grids
    3.- the first monitor is for the DM (it runs an instance of FG exclusively for DM. I have all the monsters and combat info right there when I need it). The second monitor is hanging on a wall behind me and it only shows the Combat Tracker and turn order in a big screen for everyone to know their correspondant turns in combat. The third one is a TV laying at the center of the table like the pics you linked from another trhead. Is used only for battle maps. (having the turn order or combat tracker show in another monitor lets me take advantage of most of the TV screen just for battle maps).

and that's the reason why im facing this problems now. I currently zoom in manually and try to set the grid to 1 inch in real life... which is a pain. And there are sometimes when I forget and zoom out a little bit... and its difficult to tune it back in.

I used to do this. I had an LCD tv laid flat on my table, with a piece of plastic over it to use dry erase markers on (for AoE, map adjustments, etc). It worked great, but got a bit tedious at times. I also had tokens set up on the map itself, and in the combat tracker for ease of use. We eventually stopped doing that as my TV was having issues. Now I have the TV upright on the end of the table where it's actually easier for everyone to see (it's also the display I broadcast to twitch), and there's just a lot more room on the table. Unfortunately there's no more mini's being used. Oddly enough, the tokens we use are picture of their mini's.

Working on it... The resize won't kick in immediately on sharing/opening as the FG window onInit code can't resize a window at that point (the window isn't fully created). I've got it working as a right-click option within the image - and have it calculating correctly with hard coded TV size (43 inches for my TV), I'm just setting up the option for the GM to enter their own TV size.

Thread Information