Starfinder Playlist

Constant crash, suspected memory leak? 4e ruleset only.

So I've been using 4e ruleset and it only ever lasts about 1 - 1 and 1/2 hour before it crashes. I've kept my task manager open for the whole duration and it slowly but surely goes from around 600mb memory used at the start of the session to around 1.6-1.8 gb of ram before randomly crashing.
    I have tested this with no modules loaded, and just a small map with 2 players running a combat. The memory usage never goes down when anything is close, monsters are removed or anything. Halp.
    This occurs on test 3.2.0 test using no extensions, that parser PHB output and manual rolling on. And 3.1.7 live using the same things.

This does not happen with 5e ruleset at all, I have only experienced it with 4e.

I have closed and removed them from FG modules folder. FG is around 100mb used but unchanging. I can't use any maps or tokens or monsters though to stress test it without them

Blog Entries
    No need to stress test. FG cant handle all that 4e content loaded all the time. Its is ooodles more content than the 5e material and the db structure is not overly memory efficient...

I'm guessing you're also running on a 32-bit operating system (based off FG crashing at 1.6-1.8GB of memory use) which is not going to help with the vast amount of 4E library data. On a 64-bit operating system you will be able to add about 2GB of memory use before you start to experience issues. For me, just opening the parsed 4E DMG and PHB on a fresh system takes the FG memory use from 200Mb to 1.5GB before I even do anything, this isn't going to give much working room on a 32-bit system. This is purely based off the thousands of individual entries in the parsed 4E library modules (to give you an idea, there are 890,000 lines of XML in my PHB - which is huge), there are over 9,000 powers, over 10,000 items...

So, I know you're not going to want to hear this, but my suggestions would be:
    • Upgrade to a 64-bit operating system. Or:
    • Cut down the size of the 4E modules you use.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I'm using 64bit windows, but it always crashes around the 1.8gb mark. Is there a 32/64 bit windows installation or does it automatically detect which?
    https://puu.sh/qSgwP/41e943d7bd.png

Edit: However I am in the process of shrinking down the PHB and DM stuff into sectionable modules. Having them all "book open" still has them loaded into memory though right? So I'll need to turn each off in modules to reduce this issue correct?
    Last edited by spite; August 29th, 2016 at 06:58.

Quote Originally Posted by spite View Post
    I'm using 64bit windows, but it always crashes around the 1.8gb mark. Is there a 32/64 bit windows installation or does it automatically detect which?
    https://puu.sh/qSgwP/41e943d7bd.png
    The FG executable is 32-bit (which normally uses a max of 2GB of memory), but it was modified by the devs a while ago to allow it access up to 4GB by changing an executable setting called Large Address Aware (LAA). All I can think of is that something might have screwed up with you switching you've been doing between test and live modes. Have a look at this article: https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/t...-aware.112556/ There is an app that allows you to check if an executable is set to LAA (run it in "Advanced" mode to show if the LAA flag is set). Use this to check if your FantasyGrounds.exe file is showing LAA set.

If it is, then I'm not sure why you'll be crashing at 1.8GB memory use, as this is exactly what happens when FG can't access that extra memory through LAA. Unless you have issues with the computer's memory in general.

Quote Originally Posted by spite View Post
    Having them all "book open" still has them loaded into memory though right? So I'll need to turn each off in modules to reduce this issue correct?
    Correct.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thanks for the reply Trenloe, I'll give that a shot

So I utilised the Process Monitor as you suggested.
    Using 3.1.7 the program uses over and above 2gb of ram. I had as many windows from my parsed files as I could and it reached a maximum of 3.5gb and didn't crash, and every large list (like feats - 3000 items).
    However 3.2.0 it maxes out below 2gb, freezes when opening any window larger than a few hundred items and crashes before much can be done. This must be a 3.2.0 issue with the LAA perhaps? How do I go about reporting this in a way that is concise to the 3.2.0 thread?

The post you just made is concise enough and link to this thread.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thread Information