5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Storm King's Thunder module for Fantasy Grounds now available

The Storm King's Thunder module is now available on the Fantasy Grounds website and on Steam. It will be coming to DMsGuild shortly.

It costs $34.95 and if you have or get the Complete D&D Bundle, you will automatically get 25% off that.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store...p?id=WOTC5ESKT
    Last edited by Brynnan; August 26th, 2016 at 06:49.
    Bryan Britt, a.k.a. Brynnan the High

Adventurers League Online, Local Coordinator for Fantasy Grounds
    Adventurers League Online, Quest of the Week DM Team

Ultimate License Holder, any license can play

I have the Ultimate Subscription but have not gotten the PHB Pack or DM Pack or Monster Pack. I just have the SRD and Basic stuff that comes with the subscription. Can I use this module and will it give me all I need to DM it?
    Also, I am thinking of taking the leap and doing some DMing and was looking at the DM Quest stuff and have a few questions. Is there a good youtube video about this? Can I talk with someone on how to go about it?

All of the Fantasy Grounds mods are completely self-contained unlike the actual modules and book. the mods will have links to the monsters in the SRC for example, and if it's a creature that is not in the SRC it will be in the module itself. This is different than the material plane versions that require you to look up the stat blocks in the Monster Manual. The DMG and PHB are similarly optional, but both are nice to have. I would get the PHB first. If you are not creating your own adventures, then the DMG and MM are less important.

The main thing is, in order to DM you will need a license, very preferably the Ultimate, which you have. So that and the FG mod files are all you need. You can get the mod files from FG directly , as well as Steam and DMsGuild.com. Any DLC you purchase I recommend you get from a single source, either FG website or Steam, so that you can eventually complete the bundle.

The smaller AL episode modules will be available from DMsGuild

I'm the guy to ask about anything Adventure League.

Quick Question... Is there a way to get a PDF of the adventure and A Great Upheaval after I buy the Storm King's Thunder book on FG? I find it is a bit more helpful as a dM to read through the story once or twice before I run it if possible. It is a bit difficult to do this with the FG format mod. Is this a thing people have asked for?

Blog Entries
    It has been asked - not specifically for SKT but for other 5e stuff - and I believe the answer will be No. The license is for FG modules not for PDFs. The Wizards have not published any of the (other than the free stuff) 5e products in PDF. And finally there is no way to prevent the distribution (sharing/pirating/whatever) of PDFs once they are out there.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    And finally there is no way to prevent the distribution (sharing/pirating/whatever) of PDFs once they are out there.
    This is what makes me angry. The PDFs are already "out there". Why are they so against people paying them for PDFs?
    [ ☠ ] [Ultimate License][5e][ ☠ ]

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dudeslife View Post
    This is what makes me angry. The PDFs are already "out there". Why are they so against people paying them for PDFs?
    Because their commercial data strongly suggests that releasing 4e on PDF hurt their sales. Badly. (No need for discussion on whether it was because 4e was or was not better than 3.5e<weg>).

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Because their commercial data strongly suggests that releasing 4e on PDF hurt their sales. Badly. (No need for discussion on whether it was because 4e was or was not better than 3.5e<weg>).
    So the sale of PDFs cut into the sale of the hardcovers?
    [ ☠ ] [Ultimate License][5e][ ☠ ]

You may be able to get A Great Upheaval PDF from your FLGS. It is a store exclusive Introductory Adventure. They should give it to you if you will be running it in the store. As far as the entire book, no it will not be made available on PDF. (Well, maybe when 6E comes out.) Basically, you will have to buy the hardcover if you want a physical copy.

The AL episodes for Season 5 and before you can get in PDF on DMsGuild and some of them have FG mods included.

I, too, would love my 5E books in a searchable PDF format and would pay for them (again). But unless they add DRM, that's just not feasible.

Quote Originally Posted by Brynnan View Post
    You may be able to get A Great Upheaval PDF from your FLGS.
    Will the DMsGuild have that as well, or can you send out copies please? The few local stores in my area don't have any as they no longer participate in AL apparently (people got tired of starting over each season).

Thread Information