FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Equipment Lists

Blog Entries

Equipment Lists

Just wondering if there are expanded equipment/weapon lists somewhere? I assume these would probably be setting specific in those products?

I'm looking through WotD and don't see any lists for weapons that the NPCs pick up (i.e. baseball bat, M-16, etc...). The SW ruleset contains lists but they are certainly just constrained examples from multiple possible settings.

I guess just make up stats on my own or perhaps there's something I'm missing?
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Blog Entries
    All the settings I own have their own specific lists of gear, etc. if that helps?

Blog Entries
    Thanks. That is sort of what I was expecting. So I am probably missing something in the WotD modules because I don't see anything like that in them.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

Blog Entries
    Upon further investigation, I'm guessing we're supposed to pull stuff out of our arses because there's nothing there.

- John Diefenbaker

Blog Entries
    You have to go by what's in the Weapon List in SW Deluxe Player Guide. You'll notice that weapons don't have a big range in damage. Melee weapons use Str die type + another die depending on the size of the weapon. A dagger is d4, short sword d6, long sword d8 and two handed sword d10. Really sharp weapons will also have an AP (Armor Piercing) value.
    Which weapon are you looking for?
    Writer for Just Insert Imagination and co-host of the Wild Die Podcast.
    Find me on G+ to get in on one-shots, check out my YouTube and Twitch channel and follow me on Twitter @Mask_of_Winter

Blog Entries
    Hmmm that's a bit of a difficult question to answer directly MoW.

Looking at the source materials, they are light on actual information themselves, so the FG can only work with what you're given.

However, I would have expected a list of possible melee weapons; baseball bat, hammer, shovel, whatever other improvised weapon possible (guidance just like you provided). In terms of firearms, if someone is an aficionado, they can probably work it out. Here guidance would have been good on classes of weapons and how to differentiate between them; is a 356 Magnum better than a Baretta? What about other comparisons? Also, guidance would have been good regarding improvised armor that might reasonably be scavenged (i.e. football or hockey equipment, partial kevlar and the like, or even just doubling or tripling up on a thick set of clothing or a leather jacket).

I was looking to this WotD product to act as a source book for a larger campaign, but it seems to provide minimal data for someone who would look to springboard further adventures. As I said, that seems to be a shortcoming of the source material, so my disappointment is more with it than the FG iteration. Other campaign books I'm told have fuller equipment lists for the setting in question so this is a bit of a shortfall as far as I am concerned but YMMV and all that.

I feel like there's a huge heaping of "GM Handwaving" required with the dearth of information. I'm OK with making stuff up as I go, but usually a GM does that in relation to setting information provided - here there's next to nothing to work with.

- John Diefenbaker

Blog Entries
    I tend to agree with you. Savage Worlds Deluxe gives guidance on Improvised Weapons (p.73). Thing is, you can't offer a Corebook for $10 and have everything you could possibly need in it. The community bridges that gap with a forum and podcasts, but yeah I know it's a leap for new GMs. While indie and progressive in some ways, SW is very old school in the sense it gives GMs the room to perform "rulings" instead of giving rules.
    War of the Dead is a scripted campaign. With that said, it does provide Setting Rules, new edges and hindrances. For Gear, I found the SWD was sufficient but as you say YMMV. For a more thorough look at the post-apocalyptic genre I'll point you to this: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...?ref=user_menu
    Find me on G+ to get in on one-shots, check out my YouTube and Twitch channel and follow me on Twitter @Mask_of_Winter

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the link... most certainly interested in that.

- John Diefenbaker

Blog Entries
    Yeah, same great author who wrote War of the Dead and World of the Dead. Speaking of which. World of the Dead is the sequel to War of the Dead. It has rules for settlements, a barter system and vehicle customization.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
    Upon further investigation, I'm guessing we're supposed to pull stuff out of our arses because there's nothing there.
    Actually you are supposed to pull it out of the Core Savage Worlds Deluxe (Needed to play WotD) which has a couple dozen melee weapons and around 50 ranged weapons. If you look at the NPC stats, you will also see weapons in their gear statted out. Improvised weapon rules can be found on page 73 of SWD.
    Last edited by Darq; August 5th, 2016 at 02:33. Reason: Adding Improvised Weapons Reference

Thread Information