DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread: Middle Earth 5E

That is not entirely correct. LotRO for example, is only licensed for the Lord of the Rings Trilogy, no aspect of films, or other books. And yet it is owned by WB. If it weren't for that one sticky bit, I'd agree with you and would never have brought it up.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see the license come through.

Until then, and until I can afford even a copy of The One Ring, I'll have to deal with my Decipher CODA version.
    Last edited by sjard; July 29th, 2016 at 15:16.

Just throwing my 2 cents in. Although it doesn't seem likely to happen, I'd be all over the 5E version of the One Ring if was released for FG.

Well, I have the PDF for the Adventures in middle Earth for 5E, and as it turns out the ruleset on FG is pretty robust.

Adding the classes, races, backgrounds, virtues and the like is pretty easy, though a bit time consuming. Its going to be a few months
    before I can play anyway, so I'll just copy and paste the rules, and create my own module.

I currently live in Saint Paul, Minnesota, about four miles from the State Capitol Building.
    Quote Originally Posted by Captcorajus View Post
    Well, I have the PDF for the Adventures in middle Earth for 5E, and as it turns out the ruleset on FG is pretty robust.

Adding the classes, races, backgrounds, virtues and the like is pretty easy, though a bit time consuming. Its going to be a few months
    before I can play anyway, so I'll just copy and paste the rules, and create my own module.
    Have you completed your module? I'm new and I want to use these rules. But the thought of doing a complete conversion myself is rather daunting. If you've finished, is there any way I could get it from you for a reasonable price?
    -Really not such a much

Quote Originally Posted by The_Andinator View Post
    Have you completed your module? I'm new and I want to use these rules. But the thought of doing a complete conversion myself is rather daunting. If you've finished, is there any way I could get it from you for a reasonable price?
    Welcome to the forums!

The Adventures in Middle Earth material is copyright protected. It can't be legally distributed, for free or otherwise, without permission of the copyright holder (Cubicle 7).
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by The_Andinator View Post
    Hi, The_Andinator!

I started creating the Player's Guide into Fantasy Grounds by copying from the PDF and while it's a lot of work, it's really not that difficult. I totally recommend watching some YouTube videos by Zacchaeus on creating backgrounds, races, and classes:

Backgrounds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTtaC2Tz79U
    Races: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYdl0sUYbUw
    Classes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rV0vH1eeUZM

I also recommend that you only add in what you need. If you don't have a Warden player, then no point in adding in the Warden class. Same for the races (sorry, cultures) and everything else. You would only need to add abilities for the levels that they are at or going to get to in the next session, no need to code it all up to level 20 until you need it.

Also look at the 5e basic rules that come with Fantasy Grounds for examples as well as watching the videos. Sometimes seeing how other things are written is great because the videos only give one or two examples and there might be something you just don't understand but maybe another class in the rules covers it.

Good luck and happy gaming!

I have gone down the same route and as you say its not to hard to get the character gen stuff like classes etc. into fantasy grounds and the NPC engineer application makes importing NPC's from the adventures pretty straight forward. The only thing I ran into trouble with is the equipment, you can enter individual items but I can't see anyway of creating tables without delving onto code. I'm been planning to alter basic 5e equipment list as its fairly similar with the help of the old Par5e application, just got to find some time to have a play

Quote Originally Posted by hawkwind View Post
    I have gone down the same route and as you say its not to hard to get the character gen stuff like classes etc. into fantasy grounds and the NPC engineer application makes importing NPC's from the adventures pretty straight forward. The only thing I ran into trouble with is the equipment, you can enter individual items but I can't see anyway of creating tables without delving onto code. I'm been planning to alter basic 5e equipment list as its fairly similar with the help of the old Par5e application, just got to find some time to have a play
    I was able to get weapons and armour to be listed in tables without going to the XML/Par5e, Fantasy Grounds just did it for me. Not so much luck with the rest of the equipment lists though.

Quote Originally Posted by NotRussellCrowe View Post
    I was able to get weapons and armour to be listed in tables without going to the XML/Par5e, Fantasy Grounds just did it for me. Not so much luck with the rest of the equipment lists though.
    Yeah, there are buttons at the top of the Items campaign data list. Armor and Weapons (plus others for templates and the forge) are there as standard. The code behind these buttons (known as grouplists in FG terms) is in the 5E ruleset: scripts\data_library_5e.lua -> the aListViews LUA table. And earlier in that file, the aRecordOverrides table has details of the campaign data windows. "item" has aGMListButtons and aPlayerListButtons that define a XML windowclass that details how to present the data.

There is some comments on all of this at the top of the CoreRPG scripts\data_library.lua file.

So, whereas some coding is needed, a new grouplist to display adventuring gear (or whatever) could be setup in an extension once, then this would display a table of all of the adventuring gear currently available - in the campaign itself and in opened modules. You don't have to code the table in a library module each time. Once done, it's really flexible.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Yeah, there are buttons at the top of the Items campaign data list. Armor and Weapons (plus others for templates and the forge) are there as standard. The code behind these buttons (known as grouplists in FG terms) is in the 5E ruleset: scripts\data_library_5e.lua -> the aListViews LUA table. And earlier in that file, the aRecordOverrides table has details of the campaign data windows. "item" has aGMListButtons and aPlayerListButtons that define a XML windowclass that details how to present the data.

There is some comments on all of this at the top of the CoreRPG scripts\data_library.lua file.

So, whereas some coding is needed, a new grouplist to display adventuring gear (or whatever) could be setup in an extension once, then this would display a table of all of the adventuring gear currently available - in the campaign itself and in opened modules. You don't have to code the table in a library module each time. Once done, it's really flexible.
    That doesn't sound too difficult, just need to find the time and desire to make these changes in the AiME extension.

Thanks, Trenloe!

Thread Information