DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Blog Entries

Before I dive in, how's the FG PFS community?

Coming back to RPGs after a 22 year break. I've owned the Pathfinder core book for well over a year, possibly 2 years but it hasn't been until this April that I got to actually play my first real life game at a local PFS session. Due to my job, I've only been able to play 3 times since then (although the GM didn't report the second one so even though we all have our chronicle sheets, nothing was added to our accounts and it sounds like nothing can be done about it).

However... every single one of the local PFS players are Metagaming Powergaming Munchkin Murder Hobos. That's fine if that's what you're into, but I'm totally not into it. 3 sessions in 3 months and honestly I was kinda relieved last week when I had the day off work and was available but they weren't running a Tier 1 session. Because I haven't been having any fun.

Every time I listen to an RPG podcast, if they mention PFS, immediately they tell stories similar to mine with all the Munchkin Murder Hobos.

I've been debating signing up for a PFS here on Fantasy Grounds (if I ever find a Tier 1 on a day off, which hasn't happened yet) but same thing, I'm afraid of having a session where I'm not having fun because of that. So I'm asking, generally speaking what type of players have you all encountered setting up games here on the FG forums, etc.? Or is PFS pretty much Munchkin Murder Hobo Society no matter what and I'm just not a fit for it? I'm fine with that too, there are a lot of RPGs out there.

Many players here in PFS are power builders rather then style builders or RP builders. There's 1 opinion but that's why I play one off's or non-society pathfinder. Far more RP's and players for fun in non PFS gaming. Good luck!!

Ultimate License Owner
    Member: THAC0 group

Blog Entries
    I have to disagree with JerryRig.. and I haven't actually seen him in many/any PFS games... so there's that.

I've met a lot of nice folks through PFS play here on FG... PFS isn't the same as campaign play to be sure.. but it is a great way to connect with the community and meet players whose play style is similar to your own. Over the last 5 or so years I've met very few who I've had serious issue with their play style/power gamey-ness. There is a focus on teamwork and the group mission success... I'm not sure that's 'power gaming'... most of the players seem to take the time to build characters rather than 'the ultimate build'. I'm playing in a number of long running campaigns at this point and nearly all of them are with players I've met through PFS.

It's not for everyone perhaps.. but it does make for an excellent introduction to a community very nice folks.
    Full License Operator - You must have a 'Lite' License to play in my games.
    Member and GM in the Fantasy Grounds Pathfinder Society Group.
    PFS Fantasy Grounds Forum
    FG Community Teamspeak Server: ts.fg-con.com
    Interested in Custom Character Portraits and Tokens? Contact me.

Blog Entries
    One other note... the PFS community isn't huge, it is a fairly tight-knit group with folks coming and going as their schedules allow. They are not generally 'kids' most of them are pretty mature and intelligent, making use of PFS to fit a certain type of gaming where game play is more or less regular.. but they are not necessarily required to be there 'every week'.

Rpg's are great. Not just Pathfinder society, and I would encourage you to try other things, if the opportunity arises. People here are fantastic to play with. Now, I haven't done it much with the people here, due to a health condition. I mostly play with a small group of friends, whom are are have been scattered with time. However, people here are helpful and nice. So yes, if the chance to jump into something arises, give it a shot.

Welcome

Vires Animi

Well I'm going to have to chime in now and second what Blackfoot posted.

In all honesty I haven't had any contact (that I can recall) with either JerryRig or viresanimi, so I can't say one way or the other about what their experiences have been.

However, I HAVE played pretty regularly with Blackfoot. He and I and several others have been both players here as well as GMs for several years now and we've enjoyed the various people who pop in and out of games as their schedules allow. Some are pretty regular. Some are new. Some old hats stop in from time to time but are otherwise heavily involved in their private groups or off cheating on us with that harlot called 5E.

As Blackfoot mentioned, most of us are mature gamers (I think we range in age from about 30 to 50-something) and although we like to build effective builds, I would rarely call anything Munchkin. We tend to avoid that and are willing to let ourselves get painted into a corner by RPing rather than metagame.

"Yeah, I probably wouldn't have had that spell buff on yet, so I'll have to spend the 1st round of combat casting it."
    or
    "I didn't bring my weapons along because we were just going to the theatre to catch a show. Who goes to those things armed?"

Although I DO have to say that occasionally you get that one character that says "I pull out my longspear", leaving you wondering where exactly he had been storing that thing.

As for the structure of PFS, I find I really enjoy it. I don't have time to commit to a weekly group. So this structure of one-shot adventures allows me to bring my character(s) to a table of fellow players as my schedule allows. Every session gives me a chance to catch up with old friends or to meet new ones and to progress my character along in level and loot. And if you find there are certain players or GMs that you particularly like (or particularly don't), you can keep an eye out for them to make sure to catch (or avoid) whatever sessions they are running in.

So I'd say give it a try and see how things go. It costs you nothing to play, other than the FG license and you can always try something else if you find it's not to your taste.
    Those of you who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand.

FG License: Ultimate
    Server Alias: crazy cave dashing ninja
    TeamSpeak Server: ts.fg-con.com
    TeamSpeak Password (case sensitive): Dungeoneers

Quote Originally Posted by Blackfoot View Post
    I have to disagree with JerryRig.. and I haven't actually seen him in many/any PFS games... so there's that.
    I've been in 2 of your games Blackfoot ...just under different name But it was over 2 years ago that I was in the back to back ones you ran. I played under Skellan in like his very first game he ran (he did awesome as DM) and one other game after that somewhere with him. More recently I've played with Holognome during 2 different FGCON's and someone else I don't recall. My experience has been very different then yours and that's ok with me. I don't see you correcting positive feedback on games when you know there were problems in them! But you harp on mine for me sharing my experience.

Appreciate your opinion (not really but hey I'm playing Minnesota nice) of my feedback and your attempt to discredit it.

Seems some players perspectives are rather different then from those who DM the PFS games, and you behave as if your surprised you don't learn about that from people who want to fall under your DM'n games in the future. Most of the reason I play incognito if I join a PFS game on FG ...so a DM's opinion of my persona in forums doesn't travel with their game management. It has in the past

My chats with different players post PFS games has been a bit on those players who power builds and ruins it for the rest of us. Not asking if this is anyone elses experience ...its been mine and the experience of others I have spoken with who have been in PFS games (both here and non-FG games). Giving me negative reputation for answering someones question honestly with my experience is you taking my experience with the FG PFS personal and not objectively as it was asked for by the poster.

Ultimate License Owner

Quote Originally Posted by cmdisc View Post
    Well I'm going to have to chime in now and second what Blackfoot posted.

In all honesty I haven't had any contact (that I can recall) with either JerryRig or viresanimi, so I can't say one way or the other about what their experiences have been.
    well said ... BUT why bring us (JerryRig or viresanimi) up in your opinion of the FG PFS? He asked what yours was didn't he? Let me re-read maybe i missed him asking what others experiences with PFS community were and of their opinions of others providing feedback. Hmmm ...nope ....just feedback on PFS community games ...not the forum.

This is why people don't share their honest opinions unless under aliases. If I played here under just one alias (JerryRig) and saw what you both just did to our posts to make them look like they were not fair opinions ....I wouldn't post either as you have thus far targeted people that do not agree with your perspective or experience. If it happens in the forums ...whats to stop that from carrying over into the rest of your gaming one would ask. and thus you shut down this guy from getting honest feedback. Is that what you want to happen or did you not see this result?

Anyhow ...this is a small snapshot of who you'll be playing with/under in the FG PFS community.
    Last edited by JerryRig; July 9th, 2016 at 22:40.

Ultimate License Owner

Blog Entries
    Just to be fair, there's nothing wrong with the Munchkin Murder Hobo as a playstyle; it's a valid playstyle for a lot of people just like anything else. It just happens to be a total turnoff to me. I just want to play the game and have fun not have the game grind to a halt while each player takes 10 minutes to do some math and roll dice while they kill everything that moves whether there was a reason to or not, and talk about their uber-builds that lets them fly and jump 50' in the air to one-shot kill a diety and... ::snore:: If I wanted to play Diablo with Dice I'd just skip the dice and play Diablo and get a whole lot more accomplished in 4 hours.

Everyone at my local PFS has been cool enough. No one's really behaved like a **** or anything. I hope I didn't leave that impression in my original post? I just don't enjoy their particular style of play. We're not supposed to tell anyone they're having fun wrong, but I guess they're having MY fun wrong? Either way, I'm both the new guy at the tables and the odd man out playstyle-wise so... it's either make a Murder Hobo character (which I did for no other reason than to at least be able to play) or just drop PFS altogether. Which is what brought me to buy Fantasy Grounds a month or so ago as a potential third option.

Blog Entries
    Well... for example.. I personally play a lot of Gnomes because they are all powerful damage dealing super monster characters... oh wait.. no that's not it.. it's cuz Paizo actually came up with a cool background for them. As I said, there are players who focus on their 'build' and pretty much being able to do it all by themselves... and those who do not.. generally most of the characters seem to be about character in the PFS games I play/run for the most part.

Currently a group of us are running a long series of games as part of the 'Core Campaign' which takes out a lot of the extra stuff and generally simplifies the rules a fair bit. I'd suggest joining in on a session and judging for yourself what the atmosphere is like. Also.. I might suggest NOT joining in for the first time during FGCon (the next one is in October).. you are more likely to run into games on a tight schedule at that time.. they tend to have kinda a little sort of atmosphere. There are a lot of games running during that weekend.. but since games run back to back.. everyone is tired and more focused on getting through the missions to some extent.

Thread Information