DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last
    Blog Entries

Combat Tracker Effect Vivibility Options for the 5e Ruleset - Development Abandoned

No Longer Compatible with Fantasy Grounds - don't use!

I am abandoning further development of this extension.

The amount of free time available to me to do recreational programming has become severely limited. I apologize but I must temporarily suspend enhancements and fixes to this extension for the immediate future.

This is the place to get the current version of the Combat Tracker Effect Visibility Options Extension (or EVOE).

Current version: v0.2.2 (released Dec 03, 2016).
    Finished testing against Fantasy Grounds v3.2.1.
    No new features since v0.2.0, but needed slight work to be compatible with FG v3.2.1.

Not only is visibility managed by the EVOE in the Combat Tracker but information provided to players via the Chat Window for things like an effect operating on an attack, damage, ability or saving throw are also managed.

The EVOE is easy to use. Install it. Select it. Choose visibilities for each effect in the Combat Tracker. EVOE does the rest.

Though easy to use, the information managed and reported in the Chat may be confusing and even seem contradictory. To help the GM or DM with that I am writing a series of blogs. The series index is located here.

Install the extension as you would any other (instructions).
    Load a 5E campaign and choose the Effect Visibility Options (EVOE) extension.

Comments or complaints? Please direct them to me.

For the painstaking details of EVOE's development please see my series blog on how to develop an extension.
    Last edited by Trenloe; April 12th, 2017 at 17:08. Reason: Development abandoned.

Minty - great extension, plan on using it tonight

Solved an issue I raised in another thread, so kudos

Only thing to be aware of , it seems that all effects added are GM visible only until you change them (thats what seems to happen ) - so may get players saying they have added something but cant see it - just to point that out

I let players have effects for all kinds of things, and they add and remove as they go, so maybe lots of add, add, add... because they cant see it, until a little education kicks in

But great extension
    __________________________________________________ ___________________
    UK Based DM - Ultimate Licence Holder
    Discord: Mavrik6666#9572

Will this work in 3.2 Minty?
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here http://fgapp.idea.informer.com/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    Will this work in 3.2 Minty?
    Too early to tell as 3.2.0 is still a work in progress - I think there might be a little way before 3.2.0 hits the live channel...

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Too early to tell as 3.2.0 is still a work in progress - I think there might be a little way before 3.2.0 hits the live channel...
    Yeah, I guess so. I asked because this extension was born out of an old thread about making effects invisible before being placed onto the CT so that the DM could, for example, inflict a disease onto a PC without the PC being aware of the effect it was having on them. That particular 'bug' has been fixed in 3.2 and I wondered if that would then interfere with Minty's extension. Since 3.2 might be a while away I'll sticky this one.

Also damned it's time to change your sig
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here http://fgapp.idea.informer.com/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mavrik6666 View Post
    thing to be aware of , it seems that all effects added are GM visible only until you change them (thats what seems to happen ) - so may get players saying they have added something but cant see it
    Thanks for the kudos, Mavrik.

It was purposely done this way because otherwise when the effects are applied they are announced in the chat, which would pretty much defeat the intent. Additionally, if they come up as something other than GM some alert players are going to notice the effect then notice that the GM changed its visibility.

(Edit: Applying an effect is announced in the inflictor's and the GM's chat, but not in other player's chats.)

True it puts more managerment responsibility on the GM, but isn't that what he/she is asking for by using the extension? Kind of Catch-22

And yes, players do tend to multi-inflict. "Hey that Aura didn't show up. I'll try again." Pretty soon there's four Aura applied.

A pre game announcement helps. I use the example of intoxication. One might think the Kobald is fine for a round or two. After that its behavior is odd -> VSBL (to all).

Prone is another issue. Seems pretty obvious the guy is flat on his back!

In play test my players have been very receptive to its use. There's nothing like additional play testing though, especially outside the developer's group. Please let me know how it goes.
    Last edited by Minty23185Fresh; July 8th, 2016 at 14:49.
    Current Projects:
    Always...
    Community Contributions:
    Extensions: Bardic Inspiration, Druid Wild Shapes, Local Dice Tower, Library Field Filters
    Tutorial Blog Series: "A Neophyte Tackles (coding) the FG Extension".

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    That particular 'bug' has been fixed in 3.2 ... Since 3.2 might be a while away I'll sticky this one.
    Thanks for the sticky. I hope this extension lives up to that kudo!!

It's true, in the thread you mention, Moon Wizard says it is to be fixed in v3.2.0. I read the v3.2.0 list of fixes/enhancements and my intrepretation of the changes to 5E Effects was that the "Custom Effects" in the Effects Manager is being worked on. To me, it appears as though this is not a duplicate effort. However if it is, it was truely enjoyable both developing the extension and blogging about that process.

If the extension is not v3.2.0 compatible, I'll do everything I can to make it so, and post haste!
    Last edited by Minty23185Fresh; July 8th, 2016 at 14:40.
    Current Projects:
    Always...
    Community Contributions:
    Extensions: Bardic Inspiration, Druid Wild Shapes, Local Dice Tower, Library Field Filters
    Tutorial Blog Series: "A Neophyte Tackles (coding) the FG Extension".

Blog Entries
    Last night our group play tested the Combat Tracker Effect Visibility Extension in the Princes of the Apocalypse setting. A great deal of the evening was spent in combat. Quite a few effects were in place at one time or another. Extended combat exposed a deficiency in the extension. Too much information is conveyed in the Chat.

An example scenario:
    Krystryd drinks from a fountain.
    (She becomes intoxicated. Effect applied, GM only - she doesn’t realize it, it’s subtle.)
    The party happens upon an Orc and Krystryd immediately attacks.
    Her attack is at disadvantage (2d20s rolled) because of intoxication.

The Chat reports:
    Krystryd:
    [ATTACK (M)] Battleaxe
    [EFFECTS] [DIS]
    Attack [11] -> [at Orc] [MISS]

Two issues: The “[EFFECTS] [DIS]” information and the “[11]” total roll value (it would expose any ATK pluses/minuses).

Having the extension intervene and eliminate these two bits of information from the Chat seems acceptable to me, in the case of an unrealized effect. The 2d20 roll is a different matter.

So if the extension were to be enhanced (I’m working on it) the following conversation might ensue:

Krystryd’s player asks…
    Player: “Why was that roll at disadvantage?”
    GM: “Krystryd isn’t really feeling quite like her usual self. A little confused, disoriented, clumsy.”
    Player: “Is she sick or ill?”
    GM: “No, I wouldn’t say that. She’s not ill.”
    Player: (head scratching….) “Ah, crap! The fountain. Is she drunk?”
    GM: “Yeah. That’s pretty accurate.”
    (GM changes the intoxicated effect visibility to SELF or VSBL)

Comments? Criticisms?

Indeed, it would be awesome if all of the chat which gives the game away could be suppressed. This is getting very complicated though.

How would you hide advantage or disadvantage on a player roll when they don't know? Basically, any effect which modifies the dice is very difficult to physically hide, because the extra dice need to be rolled. To work around would make the rolling system even more complex, because every roll would have to pass back to host to be adjudicated and applied.

Dealing with hiding of numerical effect modifiers is a little easier, and something on the request list.

Regards,
    JPG

Thread Information