DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 6 of 7 First ... 4567 Last
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartivardi View Post
    Hi! I suspect I know the answer, but just want to confirm: Is there a reason to by a physical copy of a module if I already have it in FG? Specifically, I'm wondering whether it makes sense to purchase Curse of Strahd if I have it in FG.

What I'm really wondering is if the analog version has more information/backstory/whatever than is present in the FG version, or if the content is effectively identical.
    There are some books (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store...IPFG5ELD106328 for example) where the layout and art are so good, I want a physical copy to look at from time to time. There are some (rarer and rarer these days) that the physical book comes with a map or other handout I like. And there are some that are just easier to read in my hands rather than on the screen. In general though, I am happy with the online product.

Though I'd kill for both FG and ePub versions of my whole library.

Thanks you just stopped me from wasting a lot of money since I thought purchasing a license would come with at least the three core books

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hunafin View Post
    Thanks you just stopped me from wasting a lot of money since I thought purchasing a license would come with at least the three core books
    How do you know it would be a waste?
    There is a 30 day refund policy so you can try it out and if its not what you were after you can refund it.

'Waste' May have been to harsh a word. More accurate he saved me from being unreasonably angry after purchasing the license.

Ok I have read this thread. Still I have a question. I will be using Fantasy Grounds Unity, and playing D&D 5e with it. We do want to buy the module Temple of elemental evil, but it is in 1e rule set.
    So can we run this module in 5e with fantasy grounds? Can the 1e version be used like this and converted to 5e rules or will it not work like that?
    How difficult is it to convert it? DO I need to do more than just covert the monsters to the 5e versions? Does it help to have the 5e monster manual plug in? Or is that required to do this?
    What else is needed to make this work besides just the basics?

Have any of you done this already? What was your experience with it, if so? I understand that the unity engine has some issues, and doing this will probably cause it to break, or expose issues known or even unknown?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hammer58 View Post
    Ok I have read this thread. Still I have a question. I will be using Fantasy Grounds Unity, and playing D&D 5e with it. We do want to buy the module Temple of elemental evil, but it is in 1e rule set.
    So can we run this module in 5e with fantasy grounds? Can the 1e version be used like this and converted to 5e rules or will it not work like that?
    How difficult is it to convert it? DO I need to do more than just covert the monsters to the 5e versions? Does it help to have the 5e monster manual plug in? Or is that required to do this?
    What else is needed to make this work besides just the basics?

Have any of you done this already? What was your experience with it, if so? I understand that the unity engine has some issues, and doing this will probably cause it to break, or expose issues known or even unknown?
    Welcome!

There is a community extension called the Universal Module Extension, it will allow you to open a module written for one ruleset in a different ruleset. So in your case you could purchase the ToEE 1E module and open it in a 5E campaign. BUT, you should only expect the story entries and maps to work. As I'm sure you know, 1E and 5E have very different combat statistics and the mechanics are different too. So all the NPCs (monsters) and magic items etc are going to need to be re-done. How you 'convert' those is up to you.

Do you convert a 1e orc by using the stat block of a 5e orc or do you figure out some way to intepret the hit points, AC, damage, etc to things that work in 5E? Most folks use the simpler method of just replacing the older NPCs with the stat blocks of the new ones and then look at encounter and encounter per day balances to 5E. Because again, healing and challenges etc are different in the two editions.

Also, you can look at Classic Modules, it has conversion to 5E of many classic modules that you can buy conversion notes on the the www.dmsguild.com that will give you these conversions, but assume you already own the original version (i.e. no maps and room descriptions etc included). Here's the link to the conversion for ToEE; https://www.dmsguild.com/product/209...mental-Evil-5e

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I am going to say I have bought one of the "Conversion Guides" and I will not be buying anymore. The "guide" no joke just listed each monster in the module and what page it could be found in what 5e book it was in. It did not do anything toward balancing the fight or even listed what creature was in what room of the module. They also do not have any of the maps or text from the original module so you will need to buy the original.

This is an example of what it had
    Kobolds: Kobold (MM 195, CR .125 (25 XP))

I think I could have done this myself and not needed the "guide"

It did also give some ideas for NPCs in the module but it also added items to them that are not in the original and it does not tell you what was added. It also left out items like armor the Kobold Chieftain was wearing. If you looked at the AC it gives for the chief and read the text from the module you can figure it out. So maybe I just expect too much from a conversion guide.

IMO they are a waste of money and you would be better off converting it yourself.
    If you want a Wishlist in the Fantasy grounds store klick the link and upvote it.
    https://fgapp.idea.informer.com/proj/fgapp?ia=135468

Blog Entries
    The various Classic Module Conversions are done by different people, to different standards, make sure you read the reviews. Their are also other conversion on the DMsG done by different people. None of them have I used and therefore do [edit] NOT I endorse them, I only know they are available.
    Last edited by LordEntrails; August 28th, 2020 at 22:02.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    The various Classic Module Conversions are done by different people, to different standards, make sure you read the reviews. Their are also other conversion on the DMsG done by different people. None of them have I used and therefore do I endorse them, I only know they are available.
    You do endorse them???

I completely agree with the read the reviews. I might be judging the series badly by the one I bought and other might be better. I will say the one I bought had a bunch of positive reviews and one reviewer I should have taken to heart that expressed my same opinion but I did want to know how another DM was doing the conversion so I bough it. From what I have read since then they all use a template to do the conversions so I have low hope for out ones.
    Last edited by Granamere; August 28th, 2020 at 21:06.
    If you want a Wishlist in the Fantasy grounds store klick the link and upvote it.
    https://fgapp.idea.informer.com/proj/fgapp?ia=135468

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Welcome!

There is a community extension called the Universal Module Extension, it will allow you to open a module written for one ruleset in a different ruleset. So in your case you could purchase the ToEE 1E module and open it in a 5E campaign. BUT, you should only expect the story entries and maps to work. As I'm sure you know, 1E and 5E have very different combat statistics and the mechanics are different too. So all the NPCs (monsters) and magic items etc are going to need to be re-done. How you 'convert' those is up to you.

Do you convert a 1e orc by using the stat block of a 5e orc or do you figure out some way to intepret the hit points, AC, damage, etc to things that work in 5E? Most folks use the simpler method of just replacing the older NPCs with the stat blocks of the new ones and then look at encounter and encounter per day balances to 5E. Because again, healing and challenges etc are different in the two editions.

Also, you can look at Classic Modules, it has conversion to 5E of many classic modules that you can buy conversion notes on the the www.dmsguild.com that will give you these conversions, but assume you already own the original version (i.e. no maps and room descriptions etc included). Here's the link to the conversion for ToEE; https://www.dmsguild.com/product/209...mental-Evil-5e

So to sum this up, this is all theory and is available but you have not actually done it. So it may or may not work as advertised. At least I have an idea of what is available to help me.
    And I know it is supposed to be possible to do this. But does it really work?
    I would like to hear from someone that actually did this with toee 1e module and used it with the Universal module extension with Fantasy grounds unity engine in 5e rules.
    I would like to know exactly how universal that module extension really is.
    The conversion is not a problem. I already did a conversion on paper from 1e to 5e. I am just looking for an easier way to do it than importing all of my own data manually.
    I do like to do things the easy way when possible. So I am asking, has anyone done this and is their an easy way to accomplish the task?
    If you had to do it all over again how would you do things different? lessons learned and all that. I do not have to reinvent the wheel if someone already has an easy way.

Thread Information