STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

What to buy: Didgital/hardback

I am a new DM and I use FG mostly as a map tool because my players are local and just come over to the house. Someday I would like to get involved with an online group and maybe even DM when I get a little more experienced( with DMing and FG). I am thinking about diving in to 5th Ed. My question is how do I do it frugally. I am sure WoC would be happy if I bought all the Hard covers and all the digital books but my wallet is not that deep. So what should I get to get started? Would buying the starter kit and the digital books be the way to go or is it a situation where if I want to play in FG sessions and face to face sessions I need both version?

There's a few things to consider.

Having the PHB in digital format will make creating characters very easy to do and maintain using the drag and drop facilities that you'll get by owning that volume. Quite a bit of the PHB is already available free via the 5e SRD which you will find in your library if you have standard or ultimate license for FG. There is also a lot missing from that volume; much of the character archetype options; feats and backgrounds are not in the SRD.

If you play mainly purchased adventures then the DMG and the MM are not essential purchases since all of the digital adventures come with everything all set up ready to play including the NPCs and magic items. However if you create your own adventures then those volumes shift into more required purchases with the MM having slight precedence over the DMG (although, again, quite a few of the NPCs are in the SRD - without the images and backgrounds). Whilst you can create all the NPCs, magic items etc within FG the convenience of being able to drag and drop NPCs, magic items into encounters and parcels and also to create treasure parcels with a single dice roll really cuts down on preparation time.

There's a few posts already from people who use FG as a tabletop device and you'll find some further information here and here.

The thing is you can use the digital versions for face to face play as well as use the hardcovers for digital play. A lot depends on your budget and looking into the future where you are likely to be playing (table-top or digital).
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thank you for that,that helps a lot!!!

Welcome Aboard, Yes Fantasy Grounds PHB is the only starter needed. It will grow as no doubt but PHB away. Get it while the sale is one and your frugality will pay off
    VR Gaming on I9 9900K RTX 3090 ( 4k on the go on I7 6700HQ 965M )
    Fantasy Grounds Ultimate in HD
    member_gqwebb

Blog Entries
    Welcome.

As a point of reference, all of my 5E material I've only bought in FG format. I don't have hard covers of anything. I'm happy with this and it meets my needs. I play both online and face-to-face. But do note, that when I play f-t-f we still use FG. If I played/DM's in person without using FG I might feel differently, but even then I would still probably be happy if I only used FG to access the 'books'.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

And to be specific, the PHB for FG is called the Complete Core Class Pack correct? Also as I bought the license through Steam do I need to get the "books" through steam? If I don't is there a agreed upon preference between The steam store and the Fantasy Grounds store? And thanks again for all the pointers

Well, I started with steam and just stayed that way. It is easier to pick up a steam 20 card sometimes. From what I gather you can do both but there is some lag back to steam. Yes that is the phb. BTW cool avatar best book series ever! Most okish movie ever.
    VR Gaming on I9 9900K RTX 3090 ( 4k on the go on I7 6700HQ 965M )
    Fantasy Grounds Ultimate in HD
    member_gqwebb

You want to get them one place or the other. The bundle deal can't track between the systems. If you get them from the Smiteworks store they get more of the profits, but Steam has regional prices which might make a difference.

Thanks all!! And that's Rooster Cogburn , I think you are mixing him up with Master Gregory from Seventh Son gqwebb,a movie I have yet to see

NicholasDM
    The Steam sale looks like it makes the 5e stuff a lot more affordable.

Thread Information