FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Destin, Florida (Paradise) Central Time Zone

Here we go... How to?

So I got my server up and running.. got my team speak up and going. Bought the players handbook core classes for easy drag and drops for my group..Right? wrong. Got a player wanting to play a dragonborn. his breath weapon? how is it inputted? No drag and drop power here that i can see.. I created a power for him but I am not seeing an range area. or a place to put in to automate a save? is there a good tutorial for implementing commands?

thanks.
    Last edited by computertrucker; June 23rd, 2016 at 05:03.

The User Guide in the Wiki should be your first place to look. Go to 5E -> Character Sheet -> Powers. https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/...r_Sheet#Powers
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Check out this post:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...orn-characters

You just make sure that the damage type is changed to whatever type of damage their breath weapon does, if it isn't "lightning" as in the example.
    Proud Ultimate License Holder
    Also have bought a lot of other 5E and other , incl. Savage Worlds, Mutants & Masterminds, and Pathfinder 2e
    Central Time Zone (living in the USA, although born on the eastern shores of Canada)
    Have Played All D&D Editions except for 3/3.5 (am familiar with those rules, tho)

Thank you guys for the quick responses.

I plan to get to reading the wiki in the next few days.

As I've just started with 5th I am curious now do all the spells have to be manually entered?

We did 4th and I was torn to even start 5th. But 4th edition has made thousand times more powers and they drag and dropped and it auto filled the attack stats. Does 5e not auto fill?

4th Ed did everything as a power - there was no real differentiation, in terms of base layout, syntax and mechancis, between a melee/ranged attack, a spell or something else (like breath weapon). 5E does things differently to 4E. The majority of spells will auto fill (have you tried dragging a few spells onto a character sheet?). Breath weapon is not a spell, and is a bit of an exception that is not currently covered by drag/drop functionality.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I've mainly been playing with the storyboard, and DM's tools. Tonight was the first night I've been sinking my teeth into the character creation as I had two of my players logging in to work on their characters

The 5E "Characters using the Characters Packs" video in the Wiki will also give you a very good overview. The spells start at 17:15.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nurEMR4JJeU

Thanks Trenloe

Blog Entries
    Also, Check out the link below. Especially the "Complete xxx" class threads. It will show you (and your players) how to make all the effects for each class that can be automated etc.
    EDIT: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...ul-information
    Last edited by LordEntrails; June 23rd, 2016 at 20:24. Reason: Add link:

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Hi Computertrucker...

I think you have come across the biggest misconception about FG.. It not a fully automated DnD book replacement. It make some things easier ( and certainly from a DM perspective, with monster attacks, save and power, combat tracker maps, figures and story notes) but for a player, its like a digital character and game system.

Players still need to invest time, and effort in understanding what their abilities, feats, and spells do, and translate that to a character sheet, all be it a digital one in this case.
    And to be honest, I wouldn't have it any other way, or those abilities that auto happen, features that work in the background, would be to much like a traditional vid game...

Good players still want to understand what happens, when and how - FG give you that, plus the automation of a lot of things you would of traditionally written down, now you can drag an drop .

Keep it up... and as you and your players discover more, you will realise the balance of auto v manual is about right to allow them to understand what stuff works, as well as how

My 2 cents

Mav
    __________________________________________________ ___________________
    UK Based DM - Ultimate Licence Holder
    Discord: Mavrik6666#9572

Thread Information