DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 8 First 1234 ... Last
    Ok, I purchased this ruleset and have downloaded it, installed it as specified and can not get it to fire. I have tried all that I know how to, and yet no joy.

Any ideas as to why I still get the standard rule set even thought the SRD files are in the D20 rule set folder?

I even deleted the original D20 folder and replaced it with the SRD rule set and rebooted, yet still nothing but the basic rules. Lo! I am perplexed!
    Dirk Gently
    The Crescent Order

Quote Originally Posted by DirkGently
    Ok, I purchased this ruleset and have downloaded it, installed it as specified and can not get it to fire. I have tried all that I know how to, and yet no joy.

Any ideas as to why I still get the standard rule set even thought the SRD files are in the D20 rule set folder?

I even deleted the original D20 folder and replaced it with the SRD rule set and rebooted, yet still nothing but the basic rules. Lo! I am perplexed!

You cannot have another ruleset folder called "d20". Fantasy Grounds will automatically overright it. If you renamed my ruleset to d20, it will not work.

When you uncompress the Complete SRD it creates a folder called d20-SRD. Also make sure you're not nesting the folders when you unzip them.

All config files in the ruleset point to this name. If you want to change the name of the folder/ruleset to something other than d20-SRD, then you have to change the config paths in the base.xml file.

At the very least Dirk, try to open an empty campaign using just the d20-SRD folder. No reason that should not work.

Keep me informed.

Mine loaded just fine using the above instructions.

Right M'8,

That did the trick and happiness has been achieved. nice bit-o-work, btw.
    Dirk Gently
    The Crescent Order

Right M'8,

That did the trick and happiness has been achieved. nice bit-o-work, btw.
    Excellent Dirk! Glad you enjoy it. I give Ben all the credit.

It's awesome to see the Fantasy Grounds space broadening, and I applaud you for pushing in this direction.

I do have one question, though: If I have an existing adventure, with plenty of references, will I be able to change rule set on the fly, or do I have to "relink" the references up?

Orthogonally: What are my options to moving back to the default rule set?

Quote Originally Posted by sunbeam60
    It's awesome to see the Fantasy Grounds space broadening, and I applaud you for pushing in this direction.

I do have one question, though: If I have an existing adventure, with plenty of references, will I be able to change rule set on the fly, or do I have to "relink" the reference s up?

That is a tricky question. I believe about the only thing that may give you problems from default to C-SRD are the spells, since we completely re-did how they are presented -- you may have to test that one. The monsters should probably still work if they were in the default d20 ruleset, and if you move personalities over they should work just fine. There are more monsters in the C-SRD too, so obviously things not in one ruleset will not work in the other if they are not there.

It's going to be a trial and error thing in the end, but keep in mind that the Complete SRD has quite a bit more in it than the default ruleset. You're going to have much more at your fingertips with the more comprehensive set. Plus, relinking things should be relatively easy overall.

In the end you mostly link to monsters, personalities, and maybe spells. Monsters should be fine, personalities you're going to have to copy over anyway, and spells may or may not work depending on if they were in the default set or now. I'll try to do some testing this weekend, but if anyone has some results on this please let us know.

Hope this helps.

Ok,

I had the SRD ruleset all set to go, and my players ended up downloading for about an hour before I pulled the plug and reset the ruleset to d20.

So, I imagine that if we completed the download, they would have the d20-SRD ruleset. Yes?

This makes using this product a bit problematic. Its a great addition, but I can't ask my guys just to buy it so I can use it. Especially since I just asked them to get FG so we can play DnD online.

Ordinarily, we are playing SWG. WoW, CoH, Guild Wars, EQII, Planetside and Star Wars Battlefront and are making the move back into a more traditional form of Rp'ing. As the MMO version just can compete in terms of content experiance and roleplaying it.

But I digress.

What's your thoughts on this? Is there a way I can disable them having to download the ruleset and still use it?
    Dirk Gently
    The Crescent Order

What's your thoughts on this? Is there a way I can disable them having to download the ruleset and still use it?
    I will bring it up with the SmitWorks guys.

Thanks Dirk.

Quote Originally Posted by sunbeam60

I do have one question, though: If I have an existing adventure, with plenty of references, will I be able to change rule set on the fly, or do I have to "relink" the references up?

Ooh, ooh, I know the answer to this one!

Unfortunately, the references to spells and monsters will not work because the node names are subtly different in each version of the ruleset .xml files. This was unfortunately unavoidable.

On the other hand, I can assure you that all the content from the default ruleset is present in the CSRD, so it will be just a matter of relinking the monster, not having to choose another one because the one you had is not present.

The CSRD does not overwrite the default ruleset, and you can play games in either one.

As far as Dirk's comment about extra cost, I figure that the comparison isn't to a computer game (most of which begin at $40 if they're on sale, and MMO's have ongoing subscription fees after that), but to a pen and paper book which, for one this length, would cost you at least $40. The FG Client + SRD Ruleset comes out to $20, so it's the cost of a discount game and you get a rules reference that (as far as I know) runs about 875 pages if you were to print it out.

The basic idea here is that we wanted to try to create a "killer app" for FG, and to my knowledge, there is no other product out there that gives you this excellent toolset plus the complete OGL text of the SRD built in. Halo costs money over and above the cost of the XBox, but most people who went out and got an XBox when it was released did so in order to play that game.

(When I get my next laptop, I'm going to make sure it's DX9 compatible and I'm just going to use it at the tabletop with all this stuff built in so I can just manage stuff with a point and click rather than paging through books to find things.)

Anyway, hope that's something to convince your players with. We'd like to think that buying one means buying both if you want to do this right.

Thread Information