DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Changing the Personalities Setup

The ruleset I'm working on has no need for monsters, so I edited out the line that loaded monsters.xml, no problem. However, I want to change the personalities box because the game uses different stats, etc.

Poking around, I find that the personalities entry thing is located in the d20_Reference file (which I've gone and renamed for my ruleset). I can see monster_other, monster_description, monster_combat. The problem occurs when I try to edit this:
    If I change the line from 'Empty Monster Data' to 'Empty NPC Data', it doesn't reflect. Nor does changing 'HD' to 'Whatever'.
    Considering I need to make a number of changes to the text that appears, this is somewhat annoying.

Am I missing a file, or a reference, or something?
    To clarify, these are the forms I'm trying to edit (poor picture quality cause I took it through VNC on my home box but anyone who's used FG knows what I'm talking about)
    DM: For reference sake, when a bad guys dies, I'll turn their token over. So an upside down 'A' or 'B' means it's a corpse.
    PC 1: So if we kill a 'M' is it reincarnated as a 'W'?
    PC 2: That damn 'O' just won't die!

Quote Originally Posted by mr_h
    Am I missing a file, or a reference, or something?
    If I understand what you're asking and identifying as your problem, it would seem that you're changing the name of the fields in the resource xml file but you're not 'seeing' that reflected in the window display. I believe this is because the image that makes up that window has the text and field boxes created as part of the image. To change this, you would need to update the image, likely found in your frame directory for your ruleset.

Not true.

Navigate through your d20_adventure.xml file.

you will see something like this:

Code:
    <windowclass name="npc_combat">
    		<datasource name="npc" />
    		<frame name="npcbox_combat" />
    		<defaultsize width="270" height="400" />
    		<sheetdata>
    			<windowopencontrol>
    				<icon normal="button_dragtarget" />
    				<bounds rect="10,10,20,20" />
    				<class name="npc" />
    				<altclass name="npc" />
    				<description field="name" />
    			</windowopencontrol>
    			<stringcontrol name="name">
    				<bounds rect="45,12,-52,20" />
    				<empty value="&laquo; Empty Monster Data &raquo;" />
    				<createidentity />
    				<tabtarget next="hd" prev="willsave" />
    			</stringcontrol>
    			<identityactivation>
    				<bounds rect="-49,10,23,22" />
    				<icon normal="button_identityactivate" pressed="button_identityactivate_down" />
    				<sourcefield name="name" />
    				<tooltip text="Use as identity" />
    			</identityactivation>
    Change this to:
    &laquo; Empty NPC Data &raquo; ....

and all should be good.

Sandeman

PPS, this IS in a different ruleset than the default install, right?
    Ultimate Licence holder

I've had FG for so LONG I DON'T KNOW HOW TO USE IT!

But I'm learning!

Thanks for pointing out the additional XML file that needs to be updated but if he wants to remove/change the box labels in the window he will have to update the image.

Actually the images ARE blank...I've checked them several times (That was my first thought sloejack )

But I did not ever look at the adventure.xml file. That's probably where my problem is.
    *tests it* and yup, that's the one I wanted. Thanks
    DM: For reference sake, when a bad guys dies, I'll turn their token over. So an upside down 'A' or 'B' means it's a corpse.

The only box labels that need changing via playing with the png are the tab labels ("Description", "Combat", "Other"). The other labels that appear on the frames such as "HD", "hp" and "Initiative" can be changed via the xml that defines the data to be presented as Kalmarjan indicates .... if I understand the original question correctly ...

that's interesting, now that I'm home and looking through the frames folder I see that. I wonder why windows like the character sheet are not done like that.

I guess a couple of reasons ... the most obvious thing that strikes me is that defining text via xml leads to a pretty dull looking character sheet ?

It seems like a quick and easy way to make a mini charsheet, but I'll be damned if I can figure out the code
    I'll probably end up making a graphic that has the main stuff, and doing the rest like a normal character sheet.

Thread Information