5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Fifth Edition Foes vs Complete Core Monster Pack?

I've got the other two core products, the PHB and the DMG, in my Fantasy Grounds account (on Steam, actually). I am pretty content with the monsters in the SRD Bestiary and didn't buy the Monster Pack when it was on sale a week ago. I was wondering about everyone's opinion... is the Fifth Edition Foes pack (which costs less than half as much as the Core Monster Pack) a worthy add-on to complement what's already in the SRD Bestiary, vs the Complete Core Monster Pack? Which do you personally think is the first one that's worthy of a purchase? I think most of the Core Monster Pack is duplicated in the SRD Bestiary, just without the graphics/art/tokens and the in-depth descriptions of each monster. But the monsters and their stats, while not entirely the same, at least there is a lot of overlap. Fifth Edition Foes seems like a good book, with different monsters all-together, and I think maybe that's the better buy to complement the monsters I already have from the SRD? I generally like and respect Frog God / Necromancer games and their work a lot, and I also kind of like the idea of just supporting their efforts and having their work on Fantasy Grounds, since I think Wizards of the Coast products probably do very well on FG in the first place, but the third party stuff maybe needs all the support they can get. So what do you all think?

Blog Entries
    It's decent.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Personally, I have high hopes for the Tome of Beasts from Kobold Press. It should be out fairly soon, and by all accounts should be a very high quality beastiary with over 400 monsters. Sorry I don't have Fifth Edition Foes to compare to the Monster Manual.

Quote Originally Posted by timdog88 View Post
    Personally, I have high hopes for the Tome of Beasts from Kobold Press. It should be out fairly soon, and by all accounts should be a very high quality beastiary with over 400 monsters. Sorry I don't have Fifth Edition Foes to compare to the Monster Manual.
    I've been waiting so long I forgot I backed that.

How many monsters are there in 5th edition foes? The product page doesn't seem to mention.

How many monsters?

Quote Originally Posted by lesliev View Post
    How many monsters are there in 5th edition foes? The product page doesn't seem to mention.
    With the large caveat that I don't know if the print copy translated directly into the FG copy and I don't know the reviewer, attached is a link to the only review I can find on the hard copy product. It appears to have 250 monsters, but again, treat with caution as I don't see any other reviews.

https://www.5mwd.com/archives/2454

Quote Originally Posted by lesliev View Post
    I found the table of contents for the PDF version of the product and if I counted correctly it looks like there are 241 monsters.

In general, though, how much would you all agree with the assertion that buying a third party bestiary might be a better addition / complement to the SRD Bestiary than buying the official WOTC monster pack, which contains a lot of the same monster stats as the SRD Bestiary, just fleshing it out with descriptions, art, and tokens (with compared to third party bestiary products a relatively small number of unique monsters that aren't in the SRD)?

That's all going to depend on whether you want the artwork, tokens, background information and missing monsters. It's not a question that can be answered because it depends on whether you would use/want those things or not. If you don't then there's nothing in the MM for you; if you do then get it. If you want another bunch of monsters that aren't currently in 5e then get the 5th edition foes. I don't have the latter because I don't need it for running published modules. If you run a lot of your own stuff then more monsters are going to (probably) be better.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

My decision to buy the official monster manual was based on the fact that I plan to run almost exclusively published modules that can be bought here on FG, or sometimes the adventures league stuff. Having all of the monsters ready to go with tokens and pictures was something that I wanted. I think if you plan to do a good bit of homebrew, or to play around with different monsters in published campaigns, then you probably are right that you'll get more mileage from a 3rd party product + the monster SRD material.

Blog Entries
    I like having more options to choose from, personally. I guess the question is whether the quality is there with 3rd party materials. In this case I personally see a lot of things I'll never use in my games, but it's the same way with the MM.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Thread Information