DICE PACKS BUNDLE

How to find spells by school (e.g. Necromancy spells for Evil High Priest)?

I just bought the Dungeon Master's Guide module (and I already had the Complete Core Class Pack module, e.g. the equivalent of the Player's Handbook).

I was thinking of using the DMG's new Evil High Priest class to create a powerful villain for my campaign, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to find the Necromancy spells? For instance, for the Death Domain, at 1st Level the character gets the "Reaper" feature, which means the Evil High Priest learns "one necromancy cantrip of his or her choice from any spell list." I'm having a really hard time actually making this selection! The PHB Deluxe module's spell list is categorized in two ways: there is one giant list of every spell in alphateical order, and then there are individual lists of each spell by spellcaster class. The big alphabetical list is not searchable or filterable by spell level or by spell school, so it's no use to me. So in order to find all the cantrips in the PHB, I have to open up every single class's spell list to see that class's list of cantrips (and there is a lot of overlap, as multiple classes often have access to the same spell). But even this stlil requires me to click every single individual cantrip on each list so that I can see what school the spell belongs to.

There's got to be a better way to find this information, right? If it's NOT currently possible within the Fantasy Grounds modules themselves, then I would HIGHLY request that new entries be added to the module to be able to filter / search spells by level and by school. Please tell me there's a better way that I just haven't figured out yet?

Edit: Side note, after actually clicking through every cantrip spell on every class list, I think I only found two Necromancy cantrips that qualify for the Reaper feature? Chill Touch, and Spare the Dying. Is that right, or did I miss something?
    Last edited by callahan09; May 29th, 2016 at 20:36.

This will help you select spells by school.

https://donjon.bin.sh/5e/spells/

Yes, those are the only two necromancy cantrips.

You will find this of use I think.

Spells listed by school doesn't appear anywhere in the PHB since the schools don't seem to play a big part in 5e - apart of course from the one you are trying to create
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderbringer View Post
    This will help you select spells by school.

https://donjon.bin.sh/5e/spells/

Yes, those are the only two necromancy cantrips.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    You will find this of use I think.

Spells listed by school doesn't appear anywhere in the PHB since the schools don't seem to play a big part in 5e - apart of course from the one you are trying to create
    Thank you to both of you. The links you provided will be of use and get the job done. I do kind of feel like it should be possible to dig at the spell lists in this way within Fantasy Grounds so that I don't have to leave the program and search for another source in order to find the spell like I'm looking for, but I can also understand if you feel it isn't an important enough feature that would be needed often enough... Besides just this, I do feel that in general the module search feature could be more robust, if you're interested in my opinion Haha. I think that there should be a way to search an entire module and see just what's in there, as opposed to only being able to search among essentially headers / table values and whatever happens to be explicitly in the Reference Manual section, which doesn't include everything a module has to offer.

It's not that it's a not an important feature as much as the PHB in Fantasy Grounds reflects what is in the written version of the PHB, which doesn't contain lists such as the one you seek. Searching is reasonably basic in FG at the moment but who knows what might be just around the corner ...
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

It's more about turning the FG interface into a general database search kind of interface vs. the simple navigation interface that exists now.

Each filtered view (i.e. By school) requires both new ruleset code as well as new module code with the current approach.

We have some changes coming to CoreRPG layer (which is used by D&D rulesets) to make this easier. Some custom code still needs to be written in the ruleset for each record type (i.e. Spell), but data modules won't need to be changed. So, slowly moving forward on this. Part of why the next version is taking longer than I originally planned.

Cheers,
    JPG

Thread Information