FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Interested in GMing?

Fantasy Grounds has had a number of excellent GMs within the PFS realm come and go over the years. Some have moved on to 5E or other games. Others have found private groups to settle in with. And still others have Real Life as a priority that can limit availability. Over the past few CONs, I've seen an influx of many new Players and I'm glad to see the interest for PFS on Fantasy Grounds is still strong. I think new folks coming in is always a good thing. I also think it's important that along with Players come new GMs.

For those of you who are already active GMs, thanks for the time and effort you put into running sessions for others. The games you offer are what keep this community vibrant between the CONs that are always excellent places for game-junkies to get their fill. Like everything else some GMs are more available to run sessions than others. So we each do what we can as time, money, and inclination allow.

For those of you who have not tried your hand at GMing yet, if you are curious about or interested in seeing what being a PFS GM is all about, feel free to post your interest or questions. Or just send a PM to myself or one of the other GMs that you're comfortable with. There are plenty of perks that a GM enjoys in exchange for taking the time, money, and effort to run various scenarios. It'd be nice to see some new blood come in.
    Those of you who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand.

FG License: Ultimate
    Server Alias: crazy cave dashing ninja
    TeamSpeak Server: ts.fg-con.com
    TeamSpeak Password (case sensitive): Dungeoneers

Blog Entries
    The world needs more GMs! And one of the really nice things about being the GM is... you dont have to wait your turn - ever! You are always in there shaping the world, nudging the action, adding details large and small to the world, rolling awesomely well and bad and having fun with the outcomes. If you have thought about but havent taken the plunge, if you havent thought about it but have found it hard to find a game that suits you, give this a whirl. The Pathfinder GMs here are really very good and very helpful.

Bumping this.

I've spoken briefly with one person, but I wanted to just get this out there. I know many people are tied up with other games or private groups (apart from the demands of Real Life), but if people are interested in GMing and don't know where to start, there are a few of us that can help out and answer questions to get you going.

I heartily support this effort and am happy to help. The single most important thing that will ensure the continued growth of PFS on FG and "always available" games for players here is to help players make the leap to GMing. Also, there are lots of scenarios on tap, especially intro scenarios like Confirmation, Wounded Wisp, Emerald Spire 1, Consortium Compact, Silverhex, etc. that are nice entry points.

Keene
    Wow,It sounds good !GAME MASTER is the soul of the game!

Keene
    Wow,It sounds good !GAME MASTER is the soul of the game!

Just a bump here to keep this topic relevant.

As Victor pointed out in a different thread, the PFS community does seem to go in cycles. When I joined it several years back there were many active GMs offering multiple games in a month's time. But with the publishing of 5E and some folks finding regular private games, our numbers are reduced currently. I'm on hiatus from GMing for the next few weeks while I concentrate on moving. HoloGnome has offered quite a number of games in the recent past although it looks like his schedule right now has him offline quite a bit. Blackfoot is a regular GM on here. d1wright and Farnaby have offered a couple of games so far and I see the occasional announcement from xazil or Lord Kavos as their schedules allow. (I'm probably missing someone, so I apologize).

The old saying of "Many hands make light work" is very true even here. Our PFS community is only as active as the people make it. If you've ever thought about GMing or want to consider the benefits of such, feel free to contact me or another GM you're comfortable with, and we can give you pointers to get started. We are currently in a slump, but as more GMs come online, we can cycle back out and into what was going on just a few years back.

The costs of GMing are:
    $4 for the pdf (unless you can get it on sale)
    Time to read through the adventure so you know what is what
    Time to put it together on FG (unless someone already has the mod ready and can share it with you)
    Losing every fight to the PCs because that is what villains do (but not without taking one or two of them with you on occasion)

The benefits:
    Getting a fully awarded chronicle (full gold, 2 PP, and no negative boons) regardless of how the players did
    Knowing ahead of time what boons or items the chronicle contains so you can plan which of your characters to give it to
    Earning GM stars (which are mostly bragging rights but are also good if you're on the Reroll registry)
    Running sessions for fellow GMs who you know will return the favor and run for you so you all can both Play and Run things

I'd love to take a shot at this. I'm fairly new to FG but not to being a GM. Currently running a group through 5e Lost Mine of Phandelver but would love to GM a Pathfinder Society Game. Where do I sign up? ��

Quote Originally Posted by Springroll View Post
    I'd love to take a shot at this. I'm fairly new to FG but not to being a GM. Currently running a group through 5e Lost Mine of Phandelver but would love to GM a Pathfinder Society Game. Where do I sign up? ��
    OK, first off I have to say I'm a big fan of your avatar. I was a subscriber to Groo comics for years as a kid. I still have them and have read them to my own kids. Nothing like that half-witted wanderer and lover of cheese dip as any fool can plainly see.

There is no special rule with regards to signing up as a GM, for either FG or PFS. If you have a license (FG) and a member number (PFS), then you are set to go as a Player or GM. The first thing you will want to do is make sure you are basically familiar with FG's workings. Playing a few games helps to get a feel for how things work. You can also create your own custom campaign and practice with adding maps and NPCs, aligning grids and setting up the combat tracker. FG can offer some assistance with this. There are also some YouTube videos that might help. Plus people here and on other threads can always answer questions.

Then when you think you have enough of the basics, you go to Paizo and buy the PDF. You can pick one at random or one you like. Something I do is search the Game Announcement thread here to see what hasn't been offered in a while or at all. Some GMs may already have a prepped module that they can share with you once you send them proof of your purchase (a single watermarked page is enough). Otherwise it's a matter of getting all the text, maps, and NPCs set up how you want them and then announcing it to the community.

If you want, we can always find a time to meet up on Teamspeak to go over things in more detail. Just let me know.

So it's fine to take and adventure from season 1 for instance? And do I need a member number as a GM?

Thread Information