DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 36 12311 ... Last

NPC Flavors Extension

NPC Flavors
    This is an extension that adds flavors to the name of NPCs that are added to the combat tracker through encounters. It replaces the numbering (if enabled) FG normally puts at the end of the NPC name.
    This flavor is only applied to a certain percent of the added NPCs. You can set that percentage in the options panel. If no flavor is applied to the NPC, the numbering is not replaced.

Version 1.11 (Pleasantly slouched)
    Tested with FGU 4.3.2
    - Fixed 2E not being flavored
    - Added Swade / Pathfinder for Savage Worlds support

You can get the extension through Forge here:
    https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/290/view

Or download it from here if you'd rather:
    Tideturner says:
    Download 1.11: Attachment 55504

Example:

Unidentified names:

Older

Version 1.10 (Powerful giggle)
    Tested with FGU 4.2.2
    - Fixed a bug that prevented flavoring NPC's after changes in the CoreRPG based rulesets

Special thanks to bmos for help with this one.

Version 1.9 (Odor-resistant turban)
    Tested with FGU 4.0.10 / FGC 3.3.14
    - Now supports NPC type data for 5E, 2E and PF1 - All other CoreRPG rulesets use "humanoid" as type for determining flavor.
    - Fixed a bug where settings would incorrectly show flavor percent as 10%

Version 1.8 (Geometric pants)
    Tested with FG 3.3.10
    - Changed how the extension hooks into FG. This should make it compatible with most CoreRPG rulesets and other extensions that does stuff to the combat tracker.

Version 1.5 (Infected head)
    Tested with FG 3.3.7 (version 1.4 still works if you do not feel like updating)
    - Added more build type suffixes (pre. was a lot of fat or thin NPC's, now they can be "strangely spherical" which is, I dare say, a lot more sexy)
    - Added the NPC name itself when choosing NPC type for flavor. For now it's just zombies (since I'm running ToA) being able to wear clothes and have hair, behavior, body parts and build. (before zombies were just "undead" which did not get flavored)
    - Ran a spellchecker on the data files, hopefully most words are now correct. If not feel free to point at me and tell me I'm very handsome but a bad speller.

Version 1.4 (Idiotic footwork)
    This version is campatible with FG 3.3.6 Non identified state of NPCs
    There's also a new setting to change the default "Unknown Creature" when an NPC is in the unidentified state.
    - "Default" - uses FG's own string (Unknown Creature)
    - "Unknown" - uses "Unknown" for all non id NPCs
    - "Unknow [type]" - replaces the non id name with f.ex. "Unknow undead" or "Unknown beast"
    - "[type]" - replaces the non id name with just the type of NPC. f.ex. "Humanoid" or "Dragon"
    - "Arrrgh Monster" - replaces the non id name with just... you know, I'm not sure this is going to be used... but the non id name get's replaced by "Arrrgh Monster"... I dunno... perhaps for those nervous types of adventurers? No shame in fleeing really. Gotta live to"fight" another day, right?

Even older
    I have updated the addon to v1.2.

The extension should now be compatible with most other extensions that works on the combat tracker. Not a guarantee though. (For info: I now use addBattle instead of addNPC)

I have added a lot of NPC types as being valid for certain flavors. You can now encounter this scary fellow: Vampire (Bouncy lip hair)

A few notes on that though:
    I have only included NPC types from the DMG. No supplements.

Not all NPC types get flavors, but I tried to include a lot where it made just remotely sense with the flavor types the extension can currently construct.

Current flavor sets:
    - clothing (dapper baret)
    - bodyparts (tattooed shoulders)
    - hair and beards (mangled pencil moustache)
    - build (noticeably short)
    - behavior (bitter scream)
    - fur (unmanageable fuzz)
    - characteristic (broken nose)

If you see a flavor that is combination that is too out there, or an NPC with a flavor that really doesn't make sense, please let me know.
    If you have any additions to that, or suggestions for making the extension more fun / better to use, don't hesitate to say so

And if you're interested you can find the source for the extension here: https://github.com/Tideturner/npc-flavors/

Specifically this file is used for constructing the flavors themselves:
    https://github.com/Tideturner/npc-fl...avors_data.lua

And this file is used for determining which flavors are assigned to which NPC type:
    https://github.com/Tideturner/npc-fl...y_npctypes.lua

Download, place in extension folder and enable for your campaign.

You can turn it on and off in the options menu.
    There you can also increase or decrease the chance an NPC is created with a flavor.
    And lastly you can also turn the flavors by type of. If you do that all NPCs will be treated as the "humanoid" type.

Edit 2018-02-06: v1.3 (Adjustable cardigan) - Compatible with FG v3.3.4
    Edit 2018-08-23: v1.4 (Idiotic footwork) - Compatible with FG v3.3.6
    Edit 2018-12-20: v1.5 (Infected head) - Compatible with FG v3.3.7

------------------
    Original message:
    Hi,

I run a campaign with 7 players. I often scale up encounters by adding NPCs and in general we like big fights with many actors.

Those fights often slow down though, because of me losing track and being overwhelmed by the info in the combat tracker

We were talking about this in our group, and one of the guys suggested it would be cool if the NPCs also had random names. Like "Thug 1 (Brian)", "Thug 2 (Ann)", "Beholder 8 (Horatius)"
    Or perhaps even better distinctive features instead of numbering. "Thug (Torn bandana)", "Thug (Scarred hand)", "Beholder 8 (Bad breath)"

Is this something that is possible to make as an extension?

Also doing big fights very often leads to me losing track of who (of the NPCs) are doing what.
    And if the tokens are on a white background, I often have a hard time finding them on the map, because the active token outline is also white.

Is it possible to change the color of the token outline somehow? Perhaps through an extension as well?

Regards,
    Tideturner
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Tideturner; December 20th, 2022 at 18:55. Reason: Release 1.11 info

I don't know if having a random name or colour is possible. When you set up an encounter you can give each NPC an individual name which is a bit long winded since you have to do it one at a time but it might work for you. (Drag one NPC into the encounter - rename it it the encounter - drag next one in and repeat).

To find out where an NPC is on the map repeatedly click the small eye icon next to it and it will flash on and off which will give you a more visual clue as to where it is.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Clicking the visibility button is a trick I use a lot. Another that works well if the map has been zoomed in (i.e. the map can pan within the window) is to double click on the token of the active entry in the combat tracker and the map will centre on that token.

Re your question regarding names - doing them in an encounter previously is a good way too. Or, if you want to get into coding, it should be possible to write an extension that does random names. Ardem has written a Random extension that includes names: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...ndom-Extension You could look into using the random name portion of that extension - but please ask his permission to use his code etc. if you plan to make any resulting extension public (which would be nice).
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thanks both of you for the visibility flashing suggestion. I never even considered that

I've been looking at the core and 5e rulesets and I think perhaps the name / feature part can be done, but I'm not 100% sure yet. I'll take that to The Workshop forum.
    And yes, if I find I can make the extension, I'll make it public

Regards,
    Tideturner

Blog Entries
    I no longer reccomend turning the icon visibility on/off because it now clears any targetting that is on that creature.
    I suggest you scale it up/down to identify it.

In relation to the extension - I think it should be possible but it probably wont work as you expect - it will be great having Thug (red bandanna), Thug (green shirt) but it wont work as well on Giant Beetle (green shirt) or Grey Ooze (red bandanna)....

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    I no longer reccomend turning the icon visibility on/off because it now clears any targetting that is on that creature.
    If you click on the token in the CT a few times, it flashes the highlight circle on and off around the token on the map (and also makes the token the center, or as close as possible to the center, of the displayed the map, in case it's off-screen).
    Last edited by Andraax; May 22nd, 2016 at 03:29.

Blog Entries
    Ok - there are three good tips that may suit your style of play:

Show/Hide the token from the CT (this will clear targetting though)
    Scroll wheel over the token in the CT to increase/decrease the scaling
    Double click on the token in the CT and the map will attempt to centre on the token (it often cant centre because of the map size vs window size but it will still help on those maps) and it will show/hide the targetting circle on the token

In relation to the extension - I think it should be possible but it probably wont work as you expect - it will be great having Thug (red bandanna), Thug (green shirt) but it wont work as well on Giant Beetle (green shirt) or Grey Ooze (red bandanna)....
    Indeed your biggest problem is going to be coming up with the thousands of random names. For example with 6 Thugs I reckon you're going to need 600 names just for that possibility and to have a good chance that there won't be a repetition. And as damned points out virtually every creature type is also going to need hundreds of names.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Well I for one wouldn't mind fighting a beetle that is wearing a green shirt. Probably stole it somewhere. Thieving little critters

But you're right of course. I'd have to check for type and limit this to selected types. At least to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    Indeed your biggest problem is going to be coming up with the thousands of random names. For example with 6 Thugs I reckon you're going to need 600 names just for that possibility and to have a good chance that there won't be a repetition. And as damned points out virtually every creature type is also going to need hundreds of names.
    As for the names / features themselves... I have no idea yet on how to construct those yet. It was just a fun thought during a discussion. Perhaps there are resources out the freely available. I'll look into that as I experiment with the extension.

Blog Entries
    Hi Tideturner the easiest way to build a big number of descriptors is to use two (or three) sets of data so you might have something like this:
    set1: ripped, torn, dirty, bright, new, tattered, elegant, loud, shiny, broken, red, brown, blue, black, grey, green,
    set2: bandanna, hat, scarf, shirt, cape, cravat, robe, cloak, doublet, jacket, coat, jerkin, eye patch, trousers, sash, turban, beret, cap, helmet, top hat, oilskin, greatcoat, vest, breeches,

this brief list will give you almost 400 descriptors.

Thread Information