DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Thread: Trap Examples

Trap Examples

Good afternoon, everyone. This is my first post to the forum so be gentle! I've learned so much from reading all the posts here I thought I would (hopefully) give back something of some interest. I've been trying to come up with samples of traps built as NPC's and I found a few, but not a lot. (Apologize in advance if I missed them!). So, I built my own for now and thought I would share and see if anyone else finds them useful. I tried to keep the organization consistent and for now I built for lower levels (I say lvl 1, but probably 1-3?). I also categorized as "setback" or "dangerous" taking clues from page 121 of the DMG. I got my inspiration from donjon's random generator (which is awesome) and tried to flesh out a few more details myself. Some are almost straight out of the DMG. I don't know that I handled the rune traps appropriately as I just went with what felt right. Also, I did not add in the XP as I thought each DM may adjust the DC's, etc and in some cases may not want to include any XP.

Anyway, would love to hear if anyone finds these useful. I'm going to work on more as, well, it's just fun! BTW, I'm an older (40's and leave it at that) player who started with AD&D back in the mid 80's but never really found a group to play with. So, now I'm trying my hand at DM'ing for the first time with my wife and two girls! So far we are having a blast.

Thanks again to everyone who posts here. I've really learned a lot and appreciate all of you!

UPDATE - I've revised my file upload to ensure I've only referenced SRD material and am including a copy of the OGL related to the SRD. Any feedback is appreciated as I plan on working on more and uploading them when finished. Thanks!
    Last edited by Gwydion; September 10th, 2016 at 19:05. Reason: Uploaded wrong file previously

Hi Gwydion and welcome to Fantasy Grounds and to the Community.

I have removed your attachment for the moment I'm afraid since I have concerns about certain material in it being copyright and not available for distribution. What I would suggest is that you take the wording from the SRD document rather than from the DMG (it's more or less the same) where you have included traps taken from the DMG. Can you also change the token which is also from the DMG; you can just use one of the letter tokens which comes with FG. You should also I think include the SRD copyright notice if you are going to use the SRD traps.

Other than that good work; one thing you can remove from the damage description the second damage done where you are allowing a save for half damage. So:

Target must succeed on a DC 12 Constitution saving throw or take 11 (2d10) poison damage on a failed save or half as much damage on a successful saving throw.

will suit the Combat Tracker better than your current wording.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Nice work! But, yah, be careful of copyright stuff.

Hopefully this won't put you off amending and re-sharing!
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Yikes! In my excitement, I guess I posted too soon without thinking! Thanks to you both for catching that so quickly and I will definitely modify and re-post and keep working on them while being careful about the copyrights. I should have known better. Thanks again and I'll keep at it!

Thanks again for the guidance. Quick question. I looked on fantasy grounds in the token section and clicked on "modules" and found a group of "letter tokens" that appear to be free. I found a generic "T" that has a brown background. Are those the letter tokens you are referring to that come with FG? I appended each trap with this token, I just don't want to screw this up again! I also reviewed the SRD and the language is the same for the traps I worked on, so I went ahead and grabbed the copyright notice and will upload it along with the .mod file when I upload it again, as revised. I also think I updated the language on the "half-damage" as you suggested.

So, I think I'm about ready to re-post/upload, just want to get it right this time...

Yes, those are the tokens I was talking about.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thread Information