5E Character Create Playlist

FG feature idea/suggestion - Automated items

Im not sure if there is another official place to post ideas or features for the FG software, so please let me know if there is. This was the most relevant place I could find.

I'm pretty new to FG but not new to VTT. I bought an Ultimate game license last week and I love FG! It's automation is incredible compared to other VTT options i've tried. Most others require creating macros or entering confusing code to perform some of the actions FG does so easily. One thing I've noticed that is not implemented, and I would love to see in FG is a more automated way for Items to be used. The only way I know to explain just what I mean is to give some examples:

Example 1: PC finds or buys a Potion Of Healing. The potion is now in his inventory. Later, when he needs it, he clicks on the die roll in the items description. The effects automatically get applied to his character and he regains HP. Also, the item gets used up and automatically disappears or now has a qty. of 0 in his inventory. This way, PC's dont need to worry about keeping up with item qty, and GM knows that items take care of themselves!

Example 2:
    A ranger has a longbow and 20 arrows. When he uses his Longbow on a NPC monster, the qty of his arrows goes down by 1. So essentially, his longbow is linked to the arrows item. It would also be cool if the PC can link the longbow (or any other ranged weapon for that matter) to different ammo. So the ranger could switch back and forth from different ammos such as using normal arrows, poisoned arrows, etc.

It's just an idea that I think would be useful and would greatly enhance my groups play sessions. Im not sure how difficult it would be to implement or if it's even possible.
    Any thoughts on this?

Hi Donivan and welcome to FG and to the community.

Example 1. To make this happen create a power in the actions tab called miscellaneous (or whatever you fancy) and then create a healing effect for your potion with a target of 'Self'. Use the 'Preparation' mode to give it a number of uses equal to the number of potions and restrict the refresh to 'Once' (rather than rest or day) so that it doesn't refresh on a short or long rest. To use the PC can click on the heal and it will heal himself or drag it to an ally to heal them. Have a look at this wiki page to see how to set up some of these concepts.

Example 2. If your PC equips a bow then it will automatically enter a line in the actions tab for it's attack and damage. Since it is a ranged weapon there will also appear just below that an 'Ammo' box. Type the number of arrows (or whatever missile is used) into that box and when the PC fires an arrow one of them will be ticked off the total. If the PC uses more than one type of missile just create a new entry in the Actions tab to handle that complete with ammo box.

As an aside follow this link to get to the wish list for things you would like to see in FG.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Hi Zac, thanks for your reply and insight. Your solution to the first example I was aware of, and it's what we currently are using. But I was suggesting more along the lines of being able to do this without having to create additional powers in the character sheet. Just a quick way to use items directly from the items description in the inventory. At the moment a couple of my players have a long list of powers on their character sheet so I thought it would b convenient to be able to access the powers and effects directly from the items description. BUT, I was checking out just exactly how to create these in the 5e sample campaign, and i don't think that my players are aware of all the steps involved such as being able to set the refresh, target and stuff.

And your insight into example 2, I had never noticed that before. Because I am a GM and have yet to be a player (even though I am actively looking for a group without much luck) I wasn't aware of this. I will make sure my players know this info, and I will also check it out in the "5e sample campaign" so that I know first hand how its done.

Thanks again for your help! You've been most helpful!

*Also, thanks for the link to the wishlist!

You can get a player view of things by starting a second instance of FG (Not from the steam play button but running it directly from the FG.exe) and connect to yourself. Instead of entering an IP or Alias use 'localhost' in host address box. You can also of course see any players sheet yourself as DM simply by clicking on the player portrait or by selecting it from the PCs tab.

I agree that some character's actions tabs can get a bit crowded (especially spell casters) but they can minimize the footprint a little by clicking directly on the title bars (e.g Spells (level 1)) which will contract the entries within that power group. Clicking again will expand them back.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thread Information