DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Spell Points and Psi Points

Hey guys,

I'm currently looking for a way to do or for someone else to do up an extension like the Vitality extension, but adds the same kind of labels and modifiable number boxes as Hit Points, yet for the use of Spell Points (SP) and Psi Points (PP).

If possible, I'd like both added in the same way as Hit Points are done, without the Temporary (TMP) part obviously, but still keep the Wound (WND) section for them, but relabelled as Spent (SPT) instead.

In a nutshell, I'm seeking the following for a 5E ruleset:

Two different systems inside the same extension to go under the Hit Points and Death Saves part of the character sheet.

One is for Spell Points with the SP label, with two boxes for numbers - one for SPT and one for MAX.

The other under it would be for Psi Points with the PP label, with two boxes for numbers - one for SPT and one for MAX.

I'd also like the numbers to act like Hit Points in the manner where they can have "damage dealt" via effects in order to apply Spent (SPT) points on them like Wounds would be, for each of Spell Points (SP) and Psi Points (PP).

If anyone can do this, or tell me how to do it up myself without breaking things, then feel free to let me know as my group is considering the use of things like Spell Points and Psi Points in the near future.

You can find a reference to the system in the Dungeon Master's Guide for 5th Edition under Chapter 9: Dungeon Master's Workshop - New Class Options and Variant: Spell Points, which is the same system for Psi Points apart from the conversion to spell slots, which would be ignored for this extension anyway.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Teknykk; May 11th, 2016 at 13:43.
    “The line between the Light and the Darkness is not always so thin, for Good can come of wrong just as Evil may show from right. But sometimes...the Ends justify the Means”.

Instead of making this into an extension, you might be able to click on the magnifying glass on the Spells header of the PC action tab, and change the Group Type to Ability. Then, specify the number of uses per day (i.e. spell points) that the PC has. You will still need to mark off multiples for higher level spells, but it's much simpler than building an extension.

Regards,
    JPG

This method was attempted long before I decided to make this request, trust me - and it only serves to provide a massive headache, not to mention an eyesore in the character sheet with hundreds of daily tick off slots to deal with at medium to high levels. It might be a very simple way to deal with this, but it's by no means better than taking the time to work on an extension, especially when the code is ultimately already there to be manipulated for this purpose. I personally just don't have enough knowledge or experience myself to go about such a thing, whereas someone here might be able to achieve it with little effort in comparison.

This suggestion is useful for low levels sure, but at medium to high levels it will only serve to be a major strain on the client with the hundreds of daily use boxes that will appear after changing the group type - or even a problem at low levels for casters who get all their spells, such as clerics, druids and paladins. This really should be something someone has honestly done already, and I find it odd how no one has really bothered when it's likely Psionics are on the horizon for 5E within a year, and the rise of people using Spell Points systems instead of Spell Slots.

At the end of the day, I was looking for something that works and doesn't cause headaches - regardless of how complex it is to implement - because for the long term it would better serve us all if we consider future content.
    Last edited by Teknykk; May 17th, 2016 at 03:15.
    “The line between the Light and the Darkness is not always so thin, for Good can come of wrong just as Evil may show from right. But sometimes...the Ends justify the Means”.

This sounds like something that you should add to the wish list here. From the description of what you want it doesn't look like it would be easy to implement especially the bit where effects would deal 'damage'.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Well I think the Vitality extension already covers a good handful of this work, including the code for dealing damage in some form or another - but when I open it in Notepad++ I don't really know where to start. I'm the kind of person who works from other people's methods and learns from them, so I tend to try pull apart what they do and restructure it to the purpose I require - which is exactly what that extension says we can do in its code - so that was the original intent, as I'd rather not wait around for a quiet community to decide on a third party site if it's worth voting for.

Just as an FYI: that "third party site" is what the main place Smiteworks developers refer to for feature requests/changes to add to future versions of the main (not community) FG code. It's their main way of tracking new feature requests. It is setup and maintained by Smiteworks just for this purpose. That's why it's been recommended that you add your request there - so it can be tracked and not lost.

Of course, you can continue to look at making an extension, etc. - but I'd highly recommend you also log your request on the wishlist.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Teknykk View Post
    Well I think the Vitality extension already covers a good handful of this work, including the code for dealing damage in some form or another - but when I open it in Notepad++ I don't really know where to start. I'm the kind of person who works from other people's methods and learns from them, so I tend to try pull apart what they do and restructure it to the purpose I require - which is exactly what that extension says we can do in its code - so that was the original intent, as I'd rather not wait around for a quiet community to decide on a third party site if it's worth voting for.
    The third party site is setup and managed by the Fantasy Grounds developers and is actively monitored by them.
    By all means though - pull the extension apart and have a play with it.
    Extract it to a subfolder in /extensions eg /psipoints and change the extension name within extension.xml
    Then close/open FG and select your test campaign and the new extension (disable other extensions for now).
    Make one or two small changes at a time.
    drag /reload into your Hotkey bar and anytime you make a change to the extension hit the hotkey bar and it will reload with your changes.
    Another useful command is /console - this will show some error logging and you can also output debug commands. As soon as FG restarts open the console.
    Keep us posted on how you go.

Thread Information