FG Spreadshirt Swag

View Poll Results: How should Autosounds Trigger?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep as is (OOB Messages)

3 6.12%
  • Off Chat Window Strings (more manual work for GM)

4 8.16%
  • Have Both Options Avalaible

38 77.55%
  • Don't care

4 8.16%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 163 1231151101 ... Last

DOE: Sound Extension

Note: This extension is no longer available
    Overview

The DOE: Sound Extension brings sound to Fantasy Grounds in the form of SoundLinks. SoundLinks can be manually selected and triggered by the GM or they can be automatically triggered when certain events occur via the DOE: Sound Autosound feature and/or the Chatsound feature.

SoundLinks are accessed via the DOE: Sound Sound Board and GM-created MiniBoards, lists of SoundLinks able to be manipulated almost the same as any other Fantasy Grounds list of links.

Most of the other DOE Extensions incorporate the inclusion of SoundLinks seamlessly and Sound Links can also be used in Story and Notes Entries via the use of MiniBoards which can be linked via the Link Paragraph Type. MiniBoards can even be placed on Maps and Images as Map Pins. Basically, almost anywhere where you can use a Link in Fantasy Grounds you can use a MiniBoard.

GM's can share MiniBoards with Players and can also create Chatsound Triggers which will automatically play Sounds whenever a give sequence of characters is sent from one computer to another to appear in the Fantasy Ground's Chatbox.

SmiteWorks and Community Developers can incorporate extra Autosound Triggers into Rulesets and Extension with only a few lines of code, without having to worry about whether the DOE: Sound Extension will be loaded or not: if the Extension is not loaded the Autosound Triggers will simply be ignored by default in all existing Rulesets and Extensions

A screenshot is provided.
    Attachment 13996

Full details are provided in the accompanying Manual (a Module). The Manual can be opened by Fantasy Ground v3+ using any Ruleset, with or without the Extension being loaded.

A Library of SoundLinks is also available from the DM's Guild - simply enter "DOM-Soundlink" (without the quotation marks) into the DM's Guild Search box to locate the latest version.

Version
    • 1.0.0 - Initial Creation
    • 2.0.0 - Added Chatsounds and MiniBoards
    • 2.2.0 - Bug Fixes and Better Module Integration of Chatsounds and Autosounds
    • 3.0.0 - Improved ChatSound String-Recognition
    • 4.0.0 - Improved ChatSound String-Recognition, Magic Characters, Delays, SoundLink Groups, and Chain-Sounds
    • 4.2.0 - Compatibility Update, Fixed issues with Simple Brown & Simple Gray Themes, add support for StarFinder Ruleset (Graphics still required)
    • 4.2.2 - Compatibility Update
    • 5.0.0 - Current - See Post #1588

Manual Version
    • 1.0.0 - Initial Creation
    • 2.0.0 - Added Chatsounds and MiniBoards
    • 3.0.0 - Improved ChatSound String-Recognition
    • 4.0.0 - Improved ChatSound String-Recognition, Magic Characters, Delays, SoundLink Groups, and Chain-Sounds
    • 4.2.1 - Current - Compatibility Update

Rulesets
    This Extension works with:
    • CoreRPG Rulset v3.3.8, CoreRPG v3.3.9, and selected Child Rulesets.

Dependencies
    This Extension is dependent on:

Note also that only Syrinscape Desktop works with the DOE:Sound. Syrinscape Online does not work with this extension. Other 3rd Party Sound Apps (eg VLC Media Player) may work, if the 3rd Party Sound App uses "pure" URLs/URIs and/or the 3rd Party App "registers" with the Windows Hive.

Wiki Page & Full Documentation

See Also
    • Post #663 - An example of a 7-sound Chain-Sound (image) with a downloadable resulting/sample sound-capture.

Rulesets By Dulux-Oz

Other Extensions By Dulux-Oz

Downloading The Extension
    This Extension and its accompanying Documentation can be downloaded from the links at the bottom of this post.

Loading The Extension
    This Extension is loaded exactly like all other Fantasy Grounds Extensions - by first copying the .ext file to the Extensions Folder under the Fantasy Grounds Folder and then re-starting Fantasy Grounds. If the Extension is compatible with the currently installed version of a given Ruleset it will be displayed in the Extensions List for that Ruleset and can be loaded by clicking on the Checkbox next to the Extensions name.

If the Extension has large red 'X' next to its name in the Extension List then the Extension or an Extension that this one is dependent upon is not compatible with the chosen Ruleset. Make sure that you have downloaded and installed the latest copy of this Extension and any Extensions this one is dependent upon.

When Fantasy Grounds Updates
    After a Fantasy Grounds version update you should verify that all Extensions (not just this one) have been either updated themselves or verified by the Extension author that they work with the new version of Fantasy Grounds. If you have any issues with Fantasy Grounds after an update then it is best to disable all Extensions and then re-enable them one by one until the issue re-appears.

Helping Out
    If you like this Extension and find it useful, you may like to consider showing your support by making a Donation so that this Software and similar Software can continue to be maintained and developed.

Donations can be made via PayPal to:

Thank you

Previous Downloads (not including DO:REMU Downloads):
    • DOE: Sound Extension: 6,176
    • DOE: Sound Extension Manual: 4420

Last edited by Zacchaeus; January 26th, 2020 at 19:03.
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10
    LinkedIn Profile: www.linkedin.com/in/mjblack

Watch our games on Twitch: www.twitch.tv/dulux_oz

Support Me on Patreon: www.patreon.com/duluxoz

Past Games, etc, on my YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/c/duluxoz

For Developers - Creating Autosound Triggers

Autosounds trigger off OOB Messages: in particular, OOB Message Types. Thus it is relatively trivial to increase the number and range of Autosounds by including special "Sound" OOB Message in Rulesets and Extensions. The beauty of this is that if the below instructions are followed Fantasy Grounds will safely ignore any such OOB Messages and they will only be acted upon by the DOE Sound Extension - meaning that you can include them in your Ruleset or Extension without worring about whether the end-user-GM is using the DOE Sound Extension or not!

To get an Autosound to play at the appropriate time simply have your code send an OOB Message with a unique "Type" (eg Comm.deliverChatMessage({"autosoundtriggertype1"}) ) at the correct time and the DOE Sound Extension takes care of the rest. It is literally that simply!

Now because of an error Comm Message that the CoreRPG Ruleset sends out when an unknown OOB Message is received, any Sound OOB Messages need to be registered first. This is done by:
    Code:
    OOBManager.registerOOBMsgHandler("autosoundtriggertype1",fpDummy);
    This also requires a dummy function (fpDummy()) which looks like this:
    Code:
    function fpDummy()
        return;
    end
    The same dummy function can be used for all Sound OOB Message registrations. We only need to register the Sound OOB Messages to "trick" Fantasy Grounds into letting the Sound OOB Message go through without error.

So, imagine having Fantasy Grounds play the Fire Spell sound automatically whenever a fire-based spell is cast - simply have Fantasy Grounds determine when such a spell is used and then send an OOB Message with its type set to an appropriate value - and the DOE Sound Extension will play it for you automatically!
    Last edited by dulux-oz; May 8th, 2016 at 06:25.
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10

And now, as I'm feeling insufferably pleased with myself:

Attachment 13995
    Last edited by dulux-oz; May 8th, 2016 at 06:27.
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10

I'm dumb, so here's a dumb question. Will this play sounds for my players? Or just for the client that has this extension as DM?

It's all explained in the Manual and on the Wiki Page - but it'll play for your players if you pump it down TeamSpeak or Skype or something similar - again, all the instructions are in the Manual and/or on the Wiki
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10

Dulux-oz, being a kiwi, i rarely say this to an Aussie - but you my good man, are an utter genius.

This functionality should mean i no longer need to remember specific ques i want to bring to my game, bang 'em in the map/story and way we go. Awesome work once again!

Blog Entries
    Awesome work, thanks for doing this. Another great contribution to the community.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Really cool. Think it will take a bit to absorb it and how to apply it but sounds promising. I'm already using virtual audio cable, discord and Syrinscape so this is just the next step.

But I am having trouble getting started. Am I missing something? I think you are saying this is an extension but all I am seeing is a mod file. Followed some of the other links but don't see the extension for download anywhere,

Probably a total dumb oversight I am making.
    Last edited by Mad Nomad; May 9th, 2016 at 02:37.

Quote Originally Posted by dereks View Post
    Am I missing something? I think you are saying this is an extension but all I am seeing is a mod file. Followed some of the other links but don't see the extension for download anywhere,
    Yeah - slight delay on the Extension file - should be up within the next 12 hours. I sort of mentioned this in the first post, under Version - "To Be Uploaded Within 24 Hours" - sorry about the confusion <sheepish grin />
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10

Thread Information