5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 2 of 8 First 1234 ... Last

Blog Entries
    Right, I just haven't fully learned like, "an Extension is for [this]" and "[Something Else] is for [that]" and looking at the existing Extensions doesn't do a good job of telling me an Extension can do a full setting-specific rules insertion on top of a ruleset. But maybe that's just because no one's done it yet?

Like say, Savage Worlds. I was kinda hoping that, say I bought Deadlands or [insert SW setting here] that it would also do the full "skinning" of the UI but it "seems" (simply judging from screenshots since I haven't actually bought a SW setting yet) it's just like some library entries and tables and stuff giving the GM the setting rules but doesn't give any setting-specific flavor to the desktop?

Actually, many of the Savage Worlds settings are comprised of both modules and extensions. All the SW extensions added theming components, but several of them also add additional functionality as well.

The whole SW ruleset/extension approach was built prior to layered rulesets being available, so there are actually 2 ways to do this now, which is what I was referring to above.

Cheers,
    JPG

Some pointers to get you started here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...oreRPG-ruleset Just replace CoreRPG with Numenera. However, you do have the additional confusion of some code/layouts will be in CoreRPG and some will be in Numenera which, as MW mentioned, runs on top of CoreRPG.

And, as fair warning, there's no avoiding the fact that you're going to have to learn stuff, pull apart existing code (that is where your best examples are) and spend many hours getting up to speed. There is no fast-track nor step-by-step, detailed documentation to lead you hand-by-hand through this.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    Yeah and I'm cool with (re)learning Lua (haven't touched it since '05 or so) and learning XML. I was hoping Lost Mine of Phandelver would give me an assist. I really like stuff like that Pregen frame that pops the characters into the actual Characters frame with a click. Or the overall coloring and customizing the all the frames and desktop from the standard yellow that the 5E ruleset does. But far as I can tell, LMoP is something customized and not available to have the source peeked at.

I would actually use the current Numenera as the baseline for a brand new Cypher ruleset, and then eventually phase over the Numenera ruleset to layer on the new Cypher ruleset. (Or just make Numenera a setting extension for Cypher.)

Cheers,
    JPG

Blog Entries
    I haven't found any to help me learn/test FG with the Numenera ruleset. Does it handle GM Intrusions at all or is that a manual thing for now? I was thinking since Savage Worlds does Bennies that it's certainly possible to have the GM give the XP (maybe a Confirm dialogue for the player to refuse it if he has 1XP to spend) and automate the XP budget on everyone's character sheet. Same when that player has to donate 1 of the XP to another player. Maybe it's already in there, I haven't delved into it much yet.

It does not handle XP expenditure, or GM intrusion automatically. Those seemed to be semi-social components of the game system, so it seemed like they should remain amorphous.

The ruleset does show a special red icon when a 1 is rolled to indicate GM intrusion.

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    The current Numenera ruleset layers on top of the CoreRPG framework, and is pretty simple from a ruleset perspective; so it will be a good one to pick apart. Just make a copy of the contents of the Numenera.pak file (just a zip file with a different extension) into a folder called Cypher in the rulesets directory for the FG data folder. Then, get a good text editor with multi-file search, and give it a whirl.

Regards,
    JPG
    Thanks! I'll give it a shot!

Did the Numenera ruleset get an update recently? I thought I rememberd a spot to set the difficulty for skill checks, but it is missing now. Anybody have any information?

There hasn't been an update to the Numenera ruleset. The result of each roll shows the difficulty class overcome by that roll.

Regards,
    JPG

Thread Information