5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 3 of 3 First 123
    Is this Fluffy McFlufferson I've been hearing you talk about?

You know he's up to no good.
    https://images1.tickld.com/live/29994.jpg

It definitely is an informative video with regards to the spellcasting. However, what was looking for was something that would be akin to the 'effects' page on the wiki.

For example, Blade Ward - cantrip, currently will parse into a NPC sheet. However, when added to the tracker it does not add in something like [EFF: RESIST: slashing, piercing, bludgeoning (D:1)]. I have spent some time looking, but I would not say that I have checked every creature in the MM with regards to finding a specific syntax match. (I have not found a creature that already has an ability that invokes a resistance once combat has begun either.) Typically, resistances would be programmed into the resistance field when the NPC is created.

I was basing that "EFF:" off of what I saw on other spells. Currently, I simply create the effect in the effects table and remember to drag'n'drop from there. I was simply curious if it could be programmed into a NPC stat block otherwise to be handy in the tracker.
    This chasm, that has been naught to me,
    To that fair-haired youth may a pitfall be.
    He, too, must cross in the twilight dim;
    Good friend, I am building the bridge for him.

You'll find here a list of the syntax which appears automatically when an NPC is added to the Combat Tracker and the wording in the start block is correct.

In the case of spells all that is added to the CT is things like the attack, damage and saving throws pertinent to that spell. It will also parse conditions like poisoned, unconscious etc. However these are not active effects as such; they are there as an aid to the DM when used in combat. So there is no syntax which you could write which would get a spell such as 'Blade Ward' to automatically work on an NPC. (It won't automatically work on a PC either - it still has to be applied manually)
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Agreed, there currently is no way for 'Blade Ward' to be automated for DM or PC. My apologies if that was the impression I gave with regards what I was asking.

From what is indicated, there is currently no way to simply enter specific text statements into the stat block and have it parse into the tracker. In the case of 'Blade Ward', typing "After the spell is cast, the target is resistant to bludgeoning, slashing, and piercing." (Stat block) does not become [EFF: RESIST: budgeoning, slashing, piercing] (Combat Tracker).

The collection of creatures I reviewed today, the tracker entries are primarily parsed conditions with key phrasing. Such as, "is paralyzed" (Stat block) becomes [EFF: paralyzed] (Combat Tracker). There are a few unique entries as well, Bless and Sanctuary to name a couple. (Unless I'm missing something in the stat block that translates into the tracker entries they create)

Over all, I suspect the uniqueness of test strings within the context of spells makes it difficult to implement a more generic programming structure and requires more individual attention to each.

Yes, you are correct. To build a parser that would work out an effect for every spell would be a herculean task. As I said above what can be pulled out are things like conditions, attacks and saving throws. Remember the parser is only finding things like 'poisoned' and creating an effect from that word. So if in an NPC's stat block there appeared a sentence 'If this creature is poisoned it will die' then an EFF: poisoned will appear on the CT. Clearly it's not needed but you see where I am going. The parses isn't thinking ooh, this is an attack I'd better create an effect or ooh, that's not an attack I don't need an effect. It's just seeing 'poisoned' and creating the effect.

There are a fair number of spells which do create stuff on the CT but they, I believe, are specifically coded. Moon Wizard did some clever coding a while back to make almost every spell that could have an effect create that effect on the PC sheet and in the main on NPC sheets too. However it's not 100% and not generic enough as you say to pick up on everything.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

I understand now. Thank you for the information.

Thread Information