DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Dumping chat and going voice only?

Has anyone tried not using the chat features at all and only using something like TeamSpeak/RogerWilco/Skype, etc.

I like the chat features and I generally think they work well, but I am interested if there are people out there who are solely using FG for the purposes of sharing maps/images and dice rolling.

Thanks in advance,
    Matt

Not I, though I've used teamspeak in other games. Reason I don't do so for FG is strictly because it's easier for me to RP in text... using emotes and other flavor text, for example.

It sounds odd when our war-forged fighter has a high-pitched girl voice...sort of ruins the immersion as it were..
    -Aesir

We use Skype, although when someone rolls the dice everyone has to be quiet because the sound really ****s up if you speak when the dies are rolling. I guess the 3D-animation is synchronised between all participants and consume a lot of bandwidth. I'm going to upgrade my connection to 8/1 Mbps (at the moment I have 512/128 Kbps) and I hope that this will solve the problem.

I played a game last Wed where we used both... voice for out of character stuff and FG for in character stuff. Its a nice combo.

I think this way can save the dm a lot of time when creating content as he can now just read room desciptions and non-npc talking instead of putting it all into FG as text.

rv

Re: Dumping chat and going voice only?

Quote Originally Posted by msd
    Has anyone tried not using the chat features at all and only using something like TeamSpeak/RogerWilco/Skype, etc.

I like the chat features and I generally think they work well, but I am interested if there are people out there who are solely using FG for the purposes of sharing maps/images and dice rolling.

Thanks in advance,
    Matt
    The Spire of the Realms campaign is setup to support Ventrillo along with the FG software.

I currently feel this will be a supportive feature and not a requirement.

Sometimes its easier to just say someting rather than type it..and not everyone is a great typer. But I do not expect role playing to be done over voice..just inter-player communication and side conversations...chit chat.

Also, Ventrilo has a Push to Talk feature so you dont have to listen to background junk "Anyone want some cheetoes?" in the background..

What I'm looking into however, is a way to stream audio for background (theme) music and also use sound bites...(monsters and doors etc)..that would effectively turn me into a DJ as well as a DM (yes, I waited for that)...

Re: Dumping chat and going voice only?

Quote Originally Posted by nix4
    What I'm looking into however, is a way to stream audio for background (theme) music and also use sound bites...(monsters and doors etc)..that would effectively turn me into a DJ as well as a DM (yes, I waited for that)...
    Hopefully a future enhancement for FG would be to add support for other media within the tool (like sound). Kloogeworks does a good job of this.

I was part of the game richvalle was talking about. I see voice as a supplement for ooc conversations, rules questions, etc. I want to have all the descriptions in FG, along with the in-game chat, because of the chat log and because (for me anyway) it is always easier to get into roleplaying when chatting vs. voice.
    Murder at Avedon Hill - Official site for novel being released February, 2007 (podcast release also begins February, 2007)
    Four Ugly Monsters - Honorary Monster, ret.

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader
    We use Skype, although when someone rolls the dice everyone has to be quiet because the sound really ****s up if you speak when the dies are rolling. I guess the 3D-animation is synchronised between all participants and consume a lot of bandwidth. I'm going to upgrade my connection to 8/1 Mbps (at the moment I have 512/128 Kbps) and I hope that this will solve the problem.
    As far as bandwidth goes, you should be able to throw dice even with older dial-up modems. There is, however, a fair amount of numbers being crunched when the dice are on the move, which could cause audio encoders to choke momentarily.
    Ville Leino
    Fantasy Grounds
    Funny, no response!

About the audio support, we haven't decided what to do with it yet. We have the next two patches set to stone more or less and it's not in either one. It might find its way in eventually, but we have some pretty nifty features under works that precede it.
    Ville Leino
    Fantasy Grounds
    Funny, no response!

I'm still not convinced its needed inside of FG. There are lots of options for the voice stuff as it is. Playing sounds... I don't know if any. If there was some program that you could use for voice comms AND play music and sound effects that would be perfect. Let it handle the sound stuff and FG do the game.

But... we've been over this ground before.

rv

I like the idea of being able to play a sound for the players when they get near an area or the monsters attack or any number of possiblities. But as far as a voice comms like Ventrillo or Gamespeak, they are already available, no need to remake the wheel.

SteveG

Thread Information