5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Fantasy grounds.. but at what cost

Our group is looking into moving from pen and paper over to FG as we have some people who are moving. FG is looking very attractive however some people are complaining about the cost for each player. We all already have the full set of hard cover books. Does each person need to get the character packs? and players handbook again. If the DM gets the total package can he share that out with all of the players?

If the DM gets an Ultimate license and the books, the DM can share all that with the players (including hosting players with a free "demo" license). The players only need to buy a license and the books if they want to create / update their characters without connecting to the DM's computer between sessions (they can *view* their character without connecting, but they can't *update* it).

Hi Sasigns,

Welcome to the community.

So, let's talk bare minimums to get FG up and running for 5E groups.

Only one person, needs the Ultimate license. If one person has the Ultimate license, then everyone else can have the Free edition of the game.

If the price tag is too high for the Ultimate, then the monthly sub price should be more agreeable.

As far as the books (modules are concerned) again, only the DM needs these assets. I would get the PHB, the MM and the DMG.

But, if that is too much, the SRD versions of the these pubs do come free with the software. The SRD versions, are not the full-release versions of the books (modules), but you can play.

If you don't want to get the books, you can enter everything in manually. While this is a viable option, you'll end up spending WAY much more time prepping and entering information than you will playing.

If the DM gets the total package, then the DM can allow connected players to have access to those materials for building characters and the like. Do note, that the players will only have access to those materials while they are logged into the DM's host server while a game is being hosted. If players want offline access to those materials, they will each need their own.

TL;DR — Only 1 person needs Ultimate license and books to share with everyone else. If you don't get books, you have to type everything in by hand.

Best,
    Jake

Quote Originally Posted by sasigns View Post
    Our group is looking into moving from pen and paper over to FG as we have some people who are moving. FG is looking very attractive however some people are complaining about the cost for each player. We all already have the full set of hard cover books. Does each person need to get the character packs? and players handbook again. If the DM gets the total package can he share that out with all of the players?
    Hello and Welcome,

Depends largely on if one person will DM all the time in which case you can do as other have already explained (maybe have each player chip in a few bucks to help offset the costs if you choose to buy the already made versions of the books).

If you rotate DMs then each DM would need a copy of the books to allow access for the others that don't have it already. You can use the subscription option for hosting if you rotate DMs, just have the current DM pick up an ultimate sub while the former DM can let his sub drop and just play for free until he is ready to go again.

If you haven't yet seen what the PHB, MM and DMG in the store can do you might want to jump in a game or have a one-on-one session to check those out before deciding. The 5E rule set has a lot of automation built in that makes life as a DM and player much easier using FG.
    Ultimate License Holder--All can play in my games.

Need Help as a GM, PM me and I will give as much assistance as I can to get you started.

COMPLETED PROJECTS--Fifth Edition Foes (Frog God Games) 5E. Quests of Doom Volume 1 (Frog God Games) 5E, Quests of Doom Volume II (Frog God Games) 5E.

CURRENT PROJECTS--Quests of Doom 3 & 4 (Frog God Games) 5E.

Blog Entries
    My groups (I run two of them) do exactly like jajen and Andraax suggest. I'm the only DM, I have a perpetual Ultimate license, and I have the PHB, MM, & DMG in the FG versions. When my players want/need, i just launch FG and let them connect to create or update their characters. Works great for us.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Although if depending on how likely you think anybody else in the group might want to try DM it might make more sense to talk everybody in the the group into getting a full key.

Blog Entries
    And if going Full License option for each player look at the Steam 4 packs for a decent saving.

If you havent played LMoP this is a good way to try FG out.

Get an Ultimate Sub and LMoP. Over 2 or 3 months while you complete this you will spend $40-50 (2 or 3 x $10 sub plus $20 LMoP).
    Use the included Pre-Gens. Have the players each tip in $10.

At the end of that you will have a good idea what you want to do next in terms of cost.
    Continue with Subs or buy Outright.
    One Ultimate license or a bunch of Full Licenses.
    PHB is a must.
    You can play without the MM and DMG for a long time especially if you move onto another official FG module as they contain all the Monsters you need but eventually you will prolly buy them.

Hi Guys,

I got FG during the sale a week ago and we started playing with some friends. Now more people want in, and I am reading up on this, and I wonder, are these three statements still valid today, With FG + SW Deluxe over steam?

1. The players only need to buy a license and the books if they want to create / update their characters without connecting to the DM's computer between sessions
    2. Only one person, needs the Ultimate license. If one person has the Ultimate license, then everyone else can have the Free edition of the game.
    3. If the DM gets the total package, then the DM can allow connected players to have access to those materials for building characters and the like. Do note, that the players will only have access to those materials while they are logged into the DM's host server while a game is being hosted. If players want offline access to those materials, they will each need their own.

Thanks in advance for your clarification!

Rudy
    All kinds of everything, and ...

Blog Entries
    The GM needs the resources.
    The GM needs Ultimate or all players need standard.

If a player has Ultimate that does not allow everyone else to connect.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    If a player has Ultimate that does not allow everyone else to connect.
    It does not? Then why get ultimate?
    All kinds of everything, and ...

Thread Information