FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    There are a few reasons.

One reason is what action should trigger the slot to be checked off? Cast, save, attack, damage, effect? What happens if a spell has all, some or none of these? Each action/roll is independent, so there is no real way to know when a player is "done" with the spell.

Another reason is that spells get hidden in combat display mode when you check off the last slot of a given level. You don't want the spell to disappear before the player is done applying actions from the spell, or looking up any necessary spell details.

Finally, for 5E, each spell can be cast using higher level spell slots which modifies the spell. I haven't had the time or insight at this point to come up with a good interface to allow players to cast spells at various levels that interacts with all of the actions and is not confusing.

Basically, it's really a user workflow and UI challenge.

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by callahan09 View Post
    Thanks. So if I understand correctly, it's the opposite of what Zacchaeus said (I think he said that "next Roll" applies to all rolls in multi-target, and "Next Action" applies to just one roll in multi-target situations, which is opposite of what you said, right?)

I had another question actually, not related to any of this, but I don't want to start a new thread just for this... Is there any way to make casting a spell automatically check off a free spell slot of the appropriate level? I'm not able to figure this out, not sure if it's possible.
    Indeed, I have reversed things because I wasn't paying enough attention since my dinner was burning

Currently there is no automation to check off spell slots. The reason is that FG won't know what slot you want to use for a spell that can be cast at more than one level. You can, for example, cast Fireball at levels 3 right through to 9.
    Last edited by Zacchaeus; April 6th, 2016 at 19:03.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    There are a few reasons.

One reason is what action should trigger the slot to be checked off? Cast, save, attack, damage, effect? What happens if a spell has all, some or none of these? Each action/roll is independent, so there is no real way to know when a player is "done" with the spell.

Another reason is that spells get hidden in combat display mode when you check off the last slot of a given level. You don't want the spell to disappear before the player is done applying actions from the spell, or looking up any necessary spell details.

Finally, for 5E, each spell can be cast using higher level spell slots which modifies the spell. I haven't had the time or insight at this point to come up with a good interface to allow players to cast spells at various levels that interacts with all of the actions and is not confusing.

Basically, it's really a user workflow and UI challenge.

Regards,
    JPG
    Thanks for the explanation! Makes perfect sense to me. If I ever personally think of a way to do it that makes sense in my head, maybe I could pass that idea off to you guys, but at present, I obviously don't know as much as you experts so I've of course got no ideas on it either haha

Speaking of casting spells at a higher slot, how do we apply the extra effects? For instance, say I'm using my Cure Wounds spell and I'm in the Life Domain so my spells with a healing effect will heal 2 + (Spell Level) extra HP. So casting Cure Wounds with a Level 2 slot will heal 2 + 2 + 1d8 extra HP from the base 1d8 + Spellcasting Modifier that it normally does as a Level 1 version of the spell.

So I've got a "3" in the Bonus section of the spell's heal effect to represent the 2 + 1 (Spell Level) from the Life Domain feature. But when I cast it as a Level 2 slot, it gets another +1, right? First of all, how do i apply that, and second of all, how do I apply the extra 1d8 as well?

EDIT: OK, it looks like I found the answer in this post:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...er-level-slots

Click & hold on the effect, then right click to add the dice.

So that just leaves the question of how to get the extra bonus from the Life Domain feat... I get the feeling it's just something you have to add manually? So if I cast my Cure Wounds as a Level 2 spell, and roll a 5 and 4 on my 2d8's, also let's say my Wisdom modifier is 3, FG will heal my target 5 + 4 + 3 + 2 + 1 ... but in reality, it should be 5 + 4 + 3 + 2 + 2, because I've cast it as a Level 2 spell so I get 2 + 2 not 2 + 1 from my Life Domain feature. Therefore, would need to just manually in the combat tracker change my resulting WND total by subtracting 1 from it. So if I had 18 WND before healing, the program will leave me with 3, and then I can manually adjust it to 2 to reflect the extra bonus I deserve?
    Last edited by callahan09; April 6th, 2016 at 19:52.

If you drag your dice for the healing, you can click your right mouse button to add extra dice while you are holding the dice still... then you release the dice and the additional ones are rolled.

So you are dragging with your left mouse button and then, while still holding that left mouse button, you click your right mouse button to add additional dice to the roll you are about to make.
    Proud Ultimate License Holder
    Also have bought a lot of other 5E and other , incl. Savage Worlds, Mutants & Masterminds, and Pathfinder 2e
    Central Time Zone (living in the USA, although born on the eastern shores of Canada)
    Have Played All D&D Editions except for 3/3.5 (am familiar with those rules, tho)

Quote Originally Posted by Nyghtmare View Post
    If you drag your dice for the healing, you can click your right mouse button to add extra dice while you are holding the dice still... then you release the dice and the additional ones are rolled.

So you are dragging with your left mouse button and then, while still holding that left mouse button, you click your right mouse button to add additional dice to the roll you are about to make.
    Thank you for your help

Now that I understand that part, I was still curious about the extra bonus from the life domain feat. I think probably just manually adjusting the WND value for the extra bonus after the program applies the results? That's my assumption, but I wasn't sure.

As in that lengthy response above, there's no mechanism to track or know which spell slot that a player wants to use on a per spell basis, so the only way to handle in advance is to set up separate rolls/actions for each level you plan to use.

Alternately, you can adjust by adding a modifier to the modifier box in lower left before applying (though I believe this only applies if dice are involved, but not sure off top of my head). Also, for dice rolls, you can right click while dragging to add extra dice.

Regards,
    JPG

As for the additional healing because of the Life Domain you will have to manually add in the additional healing to each spell. So, for example, drag healing word into your actions tab and the spell effect will automatically set up. Click on the little magnifying glass beside the line which starts Heal to open up the editing dialog. You'll see a small box with 'Bonus' above it. This is where you can add your additional heal. So for 1st level add in 3 here. You can now if you want add another line to this spell (right click on the Healing word line, select add action then add heal). Click the magnifying glass to edit, drag 2d4 into the heal box and add 4 points into the bonus. You can keep adding another line for each level of spell you want to cast.

Alternatively for the bonus you can, as Moon Wizard said above, add a modifier into the modifier box. To save time you can set up slots on the quick bar for the modifier for each spell level if you wanted to. Type (say) three into the modifier box and drag that to a quick bar slot. Now when you select that slot it'll automatically fill in the modifier; then you can click the heal.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

You could do the modifier route or, as I tend to do in my own game, have a different version of the spell for each level so that the number of dice and the bonus healing from the Life Domain are all included. It make the sheet longer, but saves time in the end.
    Proud Ultimate License Holder
    Also have bought a lot of other 5E and other , incl. Savage Worlds, Mutants & Masterminds, and Pathfinder 2e
    Central Time Zone (living in the USA, although born on the eastern shores of Canada)
    Have Played All D&D Editions except for 3/3.5 (am familiar with those rules, tho)

Thread Information